Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,254,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Last time I bought a car from a dealer, he just swiped my credit card for the amount we agreed to, and handed me the key and the title. Maybe some computer printout, too, that we both signed and I got a copy. In most states, you go to the DMV and pay the title fees, registration and sales tax yourself.
That's not common practice in this part of TX, dealership usually does all the paperwork, might be different with really cheap cars though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:33 PM

10,922 posts, read 21,845,111 times
What exactly is a pre purchase inspection? Shouldn't that be done prior to putting the car up for sale? And $500? What do they have 10 mechanics doing a single vehicle at once?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 PM

61,290 posts, read 86,995,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I was already to sign on the dotted line for a preowned car and thought I had got a pretty good deal and the final price was established.

What they had not told me earlier was there was nearly $1000 in junk fees. THIS WAS ON a USED CAR! Here are the fees and how common are they?

$499 PDI (Pre Purchase Inspection). They said it had to be at their garage (at the dealership) and the price was not negotiable.

$449.00 Dealer Processing Fee.

Will I have to pay similar fees at any dealership I purchase a USED car at?

If you paid these fees how much was it last time you bought a car?
i just went thru the used car thing. very hard. get out of the trap. buy from somebody u know.
have a trusted mechanic check the car 1st. pay him for this service.
i just got mine from the couple that teach me ball room dancing at the senior center. great car.
not free but paid a fair price for a good car.
nowadays when u buy or sell used cars, u meet alota crooks, more than b4.
the world is changing, im 63.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,726,634 times
When I worked for a dealer, we had a $500 reconditioning/"safety"/etc fee. This was the same, though, regardless of what was done to the car... if we took a car in and it ended up needing $2500 in repairs, $500. If we took it in and it just needed a wash and polish? $500. That fee amortized the cost across the dealership, so that way, that car we put $2500 into didn't end up costing $8000 instead of $5500. In the LA area, at least, this was standard and would be the case on any used car you bought at any dealer.

The extra fee, though, is BS, and there's no way I'd pay it.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:46 AM

16,339 posts, read 30,011,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
What they had not told me earlier was there was nearly $1000 in junk fees. THIS WAS ON a USED CAR! Here are the fees and how common are they?

$499 PDI (Pre Purchase Inspection). They said it had to be at their garage (at the dealership) and the price was not negotiable.

$449.00 Dealer Processing Fee.

Will I have to pay similar fees at any dealership I purchase a USED car at?

If you paid these fees how much was it last time you bought a car?
================
When a dealer starts spewing out "non-negotiable" fees left and right, you stand up, thank him for his time, and head out the door. Generally, you will find that once you take three or four steps out of the showroom, the fees become very negotiable.

When I am buying a used car, I believe in the "golden rule". That is, the party with the gold rules. The buyer can walk out the door and go to 50 other dealerships, Craigslist, E-Bay and the like. The car salesman has to make a deal to eat.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:30 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,074,773 times
As others have said, the fees in one form or another are common, but negotiable. Also as others have said, when I buy anything, all that matters is what comes out of my pocket. Tax, shipping, initial cost of the item, none of it matters if the total amount I pay isn't acceptable. How the seller chooses to move that money around is their business.

A neighbor works for a parts store and got me a great price on a Magnaflow muffler for my pickup. But once the shipping and tax came into play, the final price was $20 more than I could pay for it on half a dozen websites. That's nearly 25% of the total cost, and too much for me to accept.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 PM

15,391 posts, read 25,594,031 times
Don't sign until they knock off $950 from the car price.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,865,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I worked for a dealer, we had a $500 reconditioning/"safety"/etc fee. This was the same, though, regardless of what was done to the car... if we took a car in and it ended up needing $2500 in repairs, $500. If we took it in and it just needed a wash and polish? $500. That fee amortized the cost across the dealership, so that way, that car we put $2500 into didn't end up costing $8000 instead of $5500. In the LA area, at least, this was standard and would be the case on any used car you bought at any dealer.

The extra fee, though, is BS, and there's no way I'd pay it.
That's stupid. Fix it, wax it, do whatever you have to do, add it to the price of the car. Had to put a timing belt on it? Charge $1000 more for the car and brag about how well-maintained it is. Paid too much at auction? I'm the buyer; it's not my fault the dealer paid too much.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM

28,105 posts, read 63,315,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
That's stupid. Fix it, wax it, do whatever you have to do, add it to the price of the car. Had to put a timing belt on it? Charge $1000 more for the car and brag about how well-maintained it is. Paid too much at auction? I'm the buyer; it's not my fault the dealer paid too much.
Used Car Sales are the very definition of Free Market...

It really is immaterial how much someone has in a car... the market will determine the price.

Could just be some folks are gullible enough to swallow it?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,865,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Used Car Sales are the very definition of Free Market...

It really is immaterial how much someone has in a car... the market will determine the price.

Could just be some folks are gullible enough to swallow it?
And then used car salesmen wonder why nobody trusts them. I've walked away from a deal because the salesman wanted to give me an 11% interest rate...I accused him of usury right in front of his other customer. I ended up buying a new car at 5%. I walked away from a new Mazda ten years ago because the dealer added stuff I didn't care about such as paint protection and VIN etching and would not deliver a car without it. The dealership was out of business probably a year later.

Buying a car=caveat emptor, and screw the guy who's out to *********.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive