Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which car should I choose?
Nissan Juke 5 27.78%
Ford Focus 5-Door Hatchback 13 72.22%
I have a better option listed in the thread 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times

Advertisements

The Ford.

There is nothing "cool" about PUke styling. It is a laughingstock. It looks like a bug from "Starship Troopers". Anytime I see one I notice everyone around the car PUKING..

It is horrific, disgusting, its not fast, its not efficient and it has no space. Its a more ridiculous version of the Infiniti EX/FX Acura ZDX/BMW X6/Honda CrossTurd montrocities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
It's interesting that you gave us two choices, but I can see you're leaning towards the Juke. Many times our final choices are between what makes the heart beat faster vs. practical concerns. If you really want the Juke, then go for it. Life is too short to be driving a car you won't ultimately be happy with.

By the way, as a recent Mazda 3 buyer, I have to ask - Did you actually drive it, or did you just look at it? I wasn't too thrilled until the test drive, and then I loved it. I chose the sedan, though, because it looks a little nicer than the hatchback. Then again, I upgraded from an '02 Corolla (very practical, decent car, but not exciting or interesting!).

Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Focus all the way. It will drive circles around the Juke. Don't mistake the turbo for improved performance. It's there because the engine is anemic without it. The Juke is a kid's car.

Judging an everyday commuter vehicle because it failed under some of the most demanding conditions in the world is silly.

I don't understand why the Ford dealer being ten miles away is a problem.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
You seem to like the Juke and that is what is great about having choices. I read within the forums earlier in the year someone comparing the Juke with the PT Crusier and how Nissan was building a car similar to the Crusier. Maybe they were thinking about how the fenders were round. I don't know. For me I see no similarities between a car that looks like it could have come from the 40's and one that looks like its time hasn't arived yet. What I am saying is that you may be ahead of the game instyling with the Juke. Maybe it is a car from the 40's, the 2040's. Many of us don't see it and maybe over time will see it. Many other cars designs have become known as ahead of their time. Maybe the Juke will be the same.

Have you considered Hyundai? They make a good car and the styling is above par. All the features that you want you can find in a Hyundai Accent and it liiks good as well. I prefer a 2 door myself and they don't offer an Accent with the 2 door anymore. Still they do look good.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would not consider a Juke because of the CVT. I am still not convinced of a Renault-Nissan CVT venture turning out successfully in the longer term, which would factor into your decision as you want to keep the car to 150k miles. I am not anti-CVT at all, just cautious with respect to new introductions of it in real-world passenger vehicles because of the earlier introduction of CVT (2003?) on some Nissans that had issues.

I think that the Focus represents a better value, actually. And, recent Fords have nothing to do with the bad years. I know what you mean, though, by being scarred by automotive disaster, especially in the Mojave. Heck, I vividly remember when the oil pan/seals/or all oil systems gave way (while parked) in my mother's XJ6 when I was a small child, and we were "stranded" just outside NYC for what must have been days (Actually, not even an hour, so I am told, but you know the sense of time when you're young is not the best in stressful situations). I must admit that Jaguars can still make me a bit nervous, but not to the point where I would needlessly fear the marque, and that XJ6 was cursed, despite the dealership's repairs. I was never so happy as to the day when it was not parked in our garage.

You may want to reevaluate the Golf, though. It's popular because in its segment of affordable subcompacts, it draws more from the upscale end of the range where the derivative GTI sits than many small cars that do not have a premium counterpart. The GTI can get into baseline Audi and Lexus territory (though not sure I'd run for a CT200h as it's definitely not sporty in feel), but the regular Golf is a practical vehicle with premium features. It's also not as unreliable as other Volkswagens, but maintenance/repair will be more expensive than on a Focus because of the nature of an imported car.

The Elantra Touring doesn't have leather as an option? Well, fancy that, a car dealer lied to me. I was looking at one with a friend who wanted a wagon for parking on the streets of NYC. The dealership said that it was an option, and that Hyundai could fit leather even on an Accent. Perhaps it was miscommunication and they were speaking to some sort of leather slipcover that could be placed over the seats. Anyway, the person with whom I was evaluating the Elantra Touring ended up buying a Golf, though they did seriously consider a Focus. If the dealer had a Focus with the self-parking feature in stock with the right options, they would have sold it to my friends, but they needed a car quickly, and bought the Golf that does not park itself. They live in NYC, though, and a car that can parallel park itself, while still a novelty, can come in handy for the parking-challenged.

Between your two choices, I would also pick the Focus. However, I'd also revisit the comparison between the Golf and the Focus, since the Foucs is also a pretty popular car. The Juke is unique in the segment, that's for sure, but the manufactured quirkiness doesn't do much to sway a decision, once that novelty wears off.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Have you considered Hyundai? They make a good car and the styling is above par. All the features that you want you can find in a Hyundai Accent and it liiks good as well. I prefer a 2 door myself and they don't offer an Accent with the 2 door anymore. Still they do look good.
Saying no to Hyundai. I want a practical hatchback shape with some luxury touches. No leather in Elantra touring. And if you saw my other thread? I need to replace my elantras engine at 102K miles. Basically 6 weeks after my warranty expired. My dad purchased a kia a few months after I purchased my elantra. His engine failed at about 105k miles and it started a serious of problems for him. I think Hyundais are lease only for me now. Maybe in a few ore years when I see more older ones on the road. I do not see many Elantras of my generation on the road.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's interesting that you gave us two choices, but I can see you're leaning towards the Juke. Many times our final choices are between what makes the heart beat faster vs. practical concerns. If you really want the Juke, then go for it. Life is too short to be driving a car you won't ultimately be happy with.
It is very tricky, especially since I wanted to get a car with better gas mileage than the last one. The Nissan looks like it will be less than my current car. Considering when I was 12, I thought my first car would be solar or something, this is a bad trend.

Quote:
By the way, as a recent Mazda 3 buyer, I have to ask - Did you actually drive it, or did you just look at it? I wasn't too thrilled until the test drive, and then I loved it. I chose the sedan, though, because it looks a little nicer than the hatchback. Then again, I upgraded from an '02 Corolla (very practical, decent car, but not exciting or interesting!).
Did not try it at all. I do think the sedan is pretty cute, but I have my heart set on a hatchback. And might be slightly biased against mazdas. It is within a 1 mile radius of my house though.

Last edited by jade408; 11-20-2011 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would not consider a Juke because of the CVT. I am still not convinced of a Renault-Nissan CVT venture turning out successfully in the longer term, which would factor into your decision as you want to keep the car to 150k miles. I am not anti-CVT at all, just cautious with respect to new introductions of it in real-world passenger vehicles because of the earlier introduction of CVT (2003?) on some Nissans that had issues.
Good tip. That is definitely something to consider.

I think that the Focus represents a better value, actually. And, recent Fords have nothing to do with the bad years. [/quote]
It also feels a lot more polished than the Juke. Definitely a plus.

Quote:
You may want to reevaluate the Golf, though. It's popular because in its segment of affordable subcompacts, it draws more from the upscale end of the range where the derivative GTI sits than many small cars that do not have a premium counterpart. The GTI can get into baseline Audi and Lexus territory (though not sure I'd run for a CT200h as it's definitely not sporty in feel), but the regular Golf is a practical vehicle with premium features. It's also not as unreliable as other Volkswagens, but maintenance/repair will be more expensive than on a Focus because of the nature of an imported car.
I am definitely weary of the future maintenance costs. It seems like everyone I know with a VW pays and arm and a leg for basic maintenance. VW is also probably out due to timing. Those Golfs are so popular in my area, they probably won't have stock until mid-December....and too late for my timeframe.

Quote:
The Elantra Touring doesn't have leather as an option? Well, fancy that, a car dealer lied to me.
They can do after-market, but it doesn't come from the factory with leather.

Quote:
If the dealer had a Focus with the self-parking feature in stock with the right options, they would have sold it to my friends, but they needed a car quickly, and bought the Golf that does not park itself. They live in NYC, though, and a car that can parallel park itself, while still a novelty, can come in handy for the parking-challenged.
The parking assist is very appealing actually! What a cool feature. And it will still be cool when the car is 5 years old! I love the rear parking camera idea as well.
Quote:
Between your two choices, I would also pick the Focus. However, I'd also revisit the comparison between the Golf and the Focus, since the Foucs is also a pretty popular car. The Juke is unique in the segment, that's for sure, but the manufactured quirkiness doesn't do much to sway a decision, once that novelty wears off.
I am actually thinking focus. Better gas mileage. And the focus is way more stylish than the golf.

I am renting a fiat 500 at the moment. It is pretty hilarious. People stop and ask questions about it! (Cute car, totally impractical if you ever need more than 2 people in the car. It is actually worse than the mini cooper in this regard.)

Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Ok I think I an going to do another test drive on a focus. Just to check off some of the little details and questions I have left. I already did Juke #2. So it is only fair.

**Luckily, I can totally cheat the system. There are 3 Nissan dealers within a 12 mile radius of my place. And 3 ford dealers too. Then I can pick which ever sales rep deserves my business. ALthough it would be nice to bu in my city to put more revenue in the city's coffers. There isn't a Ford dealer though.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ok I think I an going to do another test drive on a focus. Just to check off some of the little details and questions I have left. I already did Juke #2. So it is only fair.

**Luckily, I can totally cheat the system. There are 3 Nissan dealers within a 12 mile radius of my place. And 3 ford dealers too. Then I can pick which ever sales rep deserves my business. ALthough it would be nice to bu in my city to put more revenue in the city's coffers. There isn't a Ford dealer though.

When will people learn that you can't cheat the dealer? Not getting cheated is what they do, all day, every day, to everyone who walks in the door. The cars sell themselves, so all the dealer and it's employees have to focus on is maximizing every sale. They know every trick and what all their competition will do.

I have a buddy who calls me every couple years when he trades one of his cars on for a new one, so he can tell me how he screwed the dealer. And every time he calls I laugh and ask "why would the dealer make a deal that's bad for them?". He just says they don't know what they're doing.

I always smiled when people came into my store and lied to me about what they could get elsewhere, or what price they'd seen, or what another store was selling. They did this as if I existed in a vacuum, with no knowledge of what the rest of my industry (audio/video custom design and installation)
was doing. I just smiled and tailored my presentation to whatever would make that particular customer buy from me, and ignored the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive