Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,844 times

Advertisements

I bought a used car! And it was $2000 cheaper than anything else advertised with 200 miles of my home for the same model, year and apx. mileage. I asked the salesman why it was so competitively priced. He said, "look at the CARFAX report." It had been in an accident, had been repossessed once by the dealership because one of the previous owners had stopped paying, had been a rental car ,and had three owners over a three year period.

The salesman said, "in all honesty the car has had a checkered history but any damage from the accident has been repaired and we stand behind our product" I took the car for the afternoon and gave it to my local auto mechanic and he gave it a FULL evaluation and said it looked good for a three year car with 45,000 miles. And because it is a Hyundai Sonata, it still has either 2 years or 15000 miles left on its bumper to bumper warranty.

So I brought the car home and showed it to my friends and family and they said I was a sucker for buying a car with such a checkered history. (I know nothing about the severity of the accident it was in, the CARFAX just said that it had been in an accident-- and the highly respected car dealer said any damage had been repaired.)

What do you think? Would you buy a car like this with such a checkered history if it was $2000 less than market? (I spent $12K for a 2009 Hynandai Sonata with 45,000 miles which was $2000 less than offered anyplace else)

Last edited by Workaholic?; 11-20-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 02:53 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
It depends what the price was, but no, not likely, unless I was shopping in a low price range.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
No because first it was a Hyundai. Lol

An accident is not the end of the world. Could have been body work, nothing major. Repossession worrys me, does the owner afford maintenance on a car he can't afford the payments on?

Rental car, during that period, it likely had good maintenance, but was beat by the drivers a bit(floored everwhere). Maybe blatantly abused.

But then again a clean carfax may have had worse owners.

If the car drove and looked fine it probably is.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:50 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
time will tell if a deal is a deal. as they say many times it can be penny wise and pound foolish.

it can be hard enough many times just to get a brand new car to last enough reliable trouble free years to get our moneys worth out of it and fly those empty seats after its paid for without starting out in a questonable condition.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
been in an accident, had been repossessed once by the dealership because one of the previous owners had stopped paying, had been a rental car ,and had three owners over a three year period.
A 3 year old Hyundai with that much baggage is something i would never consider. I wish you the best of luck but i suspect this is one of those cars that maybe a lemon.Any chance of contacting a previous owner?
Keep us updated on how the car runs..
For the price you paid you could have got something with a whole lot less potential problems
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2700719373.html (broken link)

Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
I wouldn't have bought it because I prefer other cars. You bought it. Live with it... it may be fine. It is a crap shoot as most other cars, especially used (but also new), are.

Just keep a close eye on it for a while. If there are any serious issues they should become evident. THEN you have a decision. Until then it is 'just another car'. Don't worry...be happy.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:47 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,844 times
Default Our new (used) car is still under warranty!

The car in the Craiglist ad you list below costs $750 more than we paid and has over 60,000 so it is off warranty. Our new used car at least is only $12,000 and has 150000 more miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty. If there is problems not found by my mechanic or us during the long test drive we have a year to fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A 3 year old Hyundai with that much baggage is something i would never consider. I wish you the best of luck but i suspect this is one of those cars that maybe a lemon.Any chance of contacting a previous owner?
Keep us updated on how the car runs..
For the price you paid you could have got something with a whole lot less potential problems
2009 Hyundai Sonata SE - 62k mi - brand new tires and brakes (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2700719373.html - broken link)

Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
I bought a "clip" once. A Jeep XJ that had had the entire front of the rig cut off and another engine, frame, suspension, etc. from a junk yard clipped onto it. It looked ok and the price was right so I bought it against advice of friends.

Turned out to be a great vehicle and I drove the hell out of that rig and eventually made it into an off road rig.

But, there was the "safety" factor. What would have happened to that rig if it had another front end crash? It held up ok on the trails, but would it have broke apart in a wreck? We will never know. Still a great rig.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
"in all honesty"
When people say this, it's normally a sure sign they are lying.
Along with "to tell the truth" and others.

Interesting past doesn't mean the car's automatically a bag of bolts. After all, it wasn't repossessed because it was faulty, was it ?

Would I have bought it ?

No.

$2000 cheaper would make me wonder. If it looks too good to be true, it normally is.

Plus, it's a Hyundai. Not really my favourite cars !
Could've picked up a cheap muscle car for that !

Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
That question really can't be answered. You'll find out eventually. Any used car is a gamble. You bought a discounted car and maybe you'll end up paying more for it someday, maybe not. You can always buy an extended warranty once the factory one expires, with the money you saved off the top.

Also there are a lot of used cars have accidents on the carfax report. Total loss scenarios are usually more threatening. Other cars have major damage but no carfax entry and therefore you would have little or no way of knowing if there was a problem in the first place. Buying it from a dealer is a hell of a lot safer than buying it from some Ukranian curbstoners who set up shop on Craigslist selling flood cars with washed titles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive