Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 PM

306 posts, read 218,773 times

Advertisements

I think that if you own or occasionaly have driven an electric car,preferably an ALL-ELECTRIC car,like the Nissan Leaf & the GM Volt,your experience will be very interesting & helpful...

Please comment only if you,personally,have such an experience...

No hearsay,no ..."I know somebody who..."
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Well, I guess I shall proceed to take this thread's virginity.

We reserved and ordered a Nissan Leaf back in 2010. It finally arrived on July 23, 2011. This car has been everything it was advertised to be and then some. Absolutely amazing is all I can say.

The ride is smoother and quieter than any ICE vehicle you've ever driven. Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, I don't care, this car is quieter than that. It's so quiet on the road that at 19 mph and under, it creates a sound simulating an engine for blind people, bicyclists and pedestrians. There IS an option to turn this off, however, if it proves too intrusive. Just make sure you don't hit anyone.

Range-wise? It's been great. We haven't been stranded yet following the data on the gauges. The number the algorithm gives you isn't as accurate as the number of bars left. I imagine they either fixed this already with a computer update or they will fix it in the future. Again, not a big deal.

We got the car primarily for my mom, who has a 52-mile daily commute. The car fits her commute rather well, however, she likes to go to work late and drive fast to get to work sometimes, so we charge to 100% instead of 80% these days. 80% charging results in longer battery life, according to Nissan (and the laws of battery chemistries) but with 80% charging, my mom doesn't feel quite as comfortable as with 100% charging.

There's a Nissan Leaf forum called Nissan Leaf Forum - Online forum for the Nissan Leaf Electric Car which has been an invaluable resource. It brings together Nissan Leafers from around the world, discussing problems, issues, data, range, mods, everything you can possibly think of regarding the Nissan Leaf. Anyone seriously considering the car should definitely check it out and do some research on there.

Problems with our personal Leaf? My mom once forgot to turn it off at work (since it's so quiet), so the climate control ran all day long and she had only 4 miles of range when she got off work. That was the only time we had anything resembling an issue. Other than that, it's been perfect.

San Antonio (and central Texas in general) doesn't have a highly developed electrical charging network just yet; only at the Nissan dealers and the airport (or so I heard) so it's difficult to city-hop, but it's theoretically possible for me to drive to Austin and charge there and along the way at Nissan dealers. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm not ruling it out: I know I can do it.

We installed a 240V charger in our garage. It has been absolutely remarkable. The gauge states it will take 4 hours to charge to 80% or 100%? It does it closer to 3 to 3.5 hours. It's a great car and a great system! Charge it twice a day and everyone gets its use out of it.

For the month of September or October, our electricity bill was $50. This is for the entire month....FOR THE ENTIRE HOUSE. We drove the Leaf approximately 1,200 miles or so in that time. So you can just imagine the savings we're experiencing compared to driving an ICE. Granted, upfront costs were high, but it is what it is.

That's all I can think up at the moment. If I think of anything else, I shall let you know. And of course, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, any C-Der!

- Soviet

Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 AM

Excellent comment,thank u...

Imagine if u install solar panels...
(Almost ) free electricity for home & car(s)...

Your comment foretells a brilliant future...

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Soviet, you will get the tax credit right? I believe that offsets the purchase price differential.

I am really high on the Nissan Leaf, I commend you for your courage to try something different.

I live in Minneasota so the winters are a big issue. I don't know if the Leaf would be right for me. So much of the battery would go for heat just to keep the windows clear of frost and of course batteries suffer in sub zero weather.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I rented a Prius twice.

I wanted to try it out so I could like it and buy one.

I did not like it very much at all. It was heavy, uncomfortable, the controls were alien to me and difficult to decipher, performance and handling were abysmal, mileage was not all that exciting in real life usage. On the other hand the electric part of it was really neat. Took some getting used to when it moved without making a sound. I did not buy one. I might consider a volt for commuting, I need to try it. I also might consider a used Tesla if they are available.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
A whole thread with input from Volt owners:

Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven..

Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
What are you looking for in particular? I've driven a lot of different EV's in my course of work, but have gotten a decent amount of seat time in the Leaf and Volt recently. Overall, they are really no different to drive than any other car and whether or not it's a good choice for you will heavily depend on your personal situation and driving habits.

Between the Leaf and the Volt, I prefer the Volt. Yes, it is has less all electric range, but the onboard engine functions seemlessly with the rest of the system and you get all the benefits of both worlds. The biggest thing that scares me with them is the variability of range based on outside temperature and weather conditions. We have a charging station at our main office and have a Leaf and Volt that we use as demo cars. I've driven the Leaf fully charged on perfect 70 degree days and had a 100+ mile range. Get in it on a cold, crappy day start driving in traffic and bam, you're down to 50. The Volt experiences this too, but less dramatically and the fact that you do have a backup means no worries.

Also, the tax credit is not the same as what the home owner one was. You need to have $7,500 of tax liability in order to use it. The vast majority will see very little benefit from the credit. This is also why leasing is so attractive as the company that does the lease can use the full credit and pass that on to you in the lease rate.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Interesting comments. Keep them coming.
If Volt is offered with a diesel motor,I will definitely buy it.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiworshipper View Post
Interesting comments. Keep them coming.
If Volt is offered with a diesel motor,I will definitely buy it.
I don't think it will come has a diesel option. However, I know Volvo has a diesel plug-in hybrid coming out soon.

Since you're from Greece I'm assuming you've heard of Opel? Because GM will sell the volt there as the Opel Ampera. Same car, different badge

Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
I don't think it will come has a diesel option. However, I know Volvo has a diesel plug-in hybrid coming out soon.

Since you're from Greece I'm assuming you've heard of Opel? Because GM will sell the volt there as the Opel Ampera. Same car, different badge
"Everybody" is waiting for the Ford Focus,next year...
Opel Ampera still not out,even in Germany.
Volt is handicaped with the 2 separate seats in the back,instead of a 3 person bench...
But when did GM do the right thing..?

First impressions on EV are all positive.
U save a lot of money & u get a price reduction.
Still,the initial cost is steep. Better lease it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive