Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times

Advertisements

Do you think most people buy SUV's because of status/trend reasons or you think they really need them.
I compromised because I wanted a car but the utility an SUV gave me so I bought a compact SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
When we talk about SUV's are we talking real SUV's or crossovers? I think almost no one needs a real SUV that buys one. When it comes to crossovers they are basically the modern family station wagon and I can see where people might "need" one. Ultimately, though I think people choose them for the styling and trendiness more than the utility. There are plenty of vehicles that do the same, but offer greater efficiency (actual wagons/hatchbacks) or offer better people/cargo hauling (minivans). People try to justify the purchase based on "need", but it really just comes down to want.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 AM

299 posts, read 608,108 times
Wife has a small suv, the escape. She's moving up to the new explorer. It's not a status thing. With our son and traveling to see our family it's nice to have the space. That and she wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan. I don't blame her LOL.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM

299 posts, read 608,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
When we talk about SUV's are we talking real SUV's or crossovers? I think almost no one needs a real SUV that buys one. When it comes to crossovers they are basically the modern family station wagon and I can see where people might "need" one. Ultimately, though I think people choose them for the styling and trendiness more than the utility. There are plenty of vehicles that do the same, but offer greater efficiency (actual wagons/hatchbacks) or offer better people/cargo hauling (minivans). People try to justify the purchase based on "need", but it really just comes down to want.
Then again if that's what they want, who's business is that of anyone else's? I wanted a mustang. Not the best car for having a kid, but mama has the suv and I wanted the mustang. People buy what they want.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
It's not a status thing. With our son and traveling to see our family it's nice to have the space. That and she wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan. I don't blame her LOL.
...but it is. A minivan is just as efficient while offering more passenger and cargo space. It is also much easier to get people in and out of with the sliding doors. You said the main reason you want the Explorer is the space for going to see your family. A minivan would fill that role better than an Explorer. Yet, you will buy the Explorer because you wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan.

I'm not bashing your choice personally. I would make the same choice myself. We own a minivan, but only after exhausting every option on planet Earth and finally settling that the minivan was the best option for us with three kids, 2 of whom are in carseats and 1 in a booster. My comments are more directed at peoples attitudes in general.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Then again if that's what they want, who's business is that of anyone else's? I wanted a mustang. Not the best car for having a kid, but mama has the suv and I wanted the mustang. People buy what they want.
Absolutely no ones, the question is why do people buy SUV's? Is it the trend/style or something else? The answer, IMO, is the trend/style as there are better vehicles than SUV's to meet all of the "needs" that people state when they buy SUV's.

It isn't a personal critique, I like SUV's myself, but I don't feel the need to justify it with "need", I like them, because I like them and I venture that's why the vast majority who buy them, buy them even though a lot of those people feel the need to justify the purchase through some "need".

Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I bought mine (Jeep Wrangler) because I liked it and wanted one. I also occasionally take it off road in the Colorado mountains. Do I need it? No, but I wanted it, and what I spend my money on is my business. Sure, something like a Toyota Corolla would fit most of my needs, but it's not what I want. For me, it's that simple. It's not about status or 'overcompensation' or anything else. Don't like SUVs? Don't buy one.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
People like the ride height and the security of SUV capability. No one in NYC needs one, but out here in fly over country, if you pull off the road a little too far a mini van or a car will be waiting for a tow truck. So I'd say that people who like to be prepared for anything are likely to drive SUV's.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
People like the ride height and the security of SUV capability. No one in NYC needs one, but out here in fly over country, if you pull off the road a little too far a mini van or a car will be waiting for a tow truck. So I'd say that people who like to be prepared for anything are likely to drive SUV's.
Do you count the ones who choose "cute-utes" with FWD or front biased part time AWD in that group?

Like I said in my first post, there are two groups of SUV's, the critique is mainly levelled against the folks who pick the cute-utes over other options that are more practical and then justify that based on some random "need" that they think it fulfills. It is less applicable to the folks who are picking truck based SUV's with real 4WD who need that kind of capability, though there are plenty of "city folk" who try to justify that choice as well. My wife is one of them, but at least she concedes that its because its what she likes and prefers the styling of.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
I'd definitely agree with the notion that most SUVs (of any variant) are purchased because people may have the need for that much interior space but just can't bring themselves to drive a minivan or a wagon. Of course, I can't blame 'em. As much as I cannot deny the practicality of a minivan, it's just so...................boring, and yes, kinda emasculating. The full-size SUVs were a bit much, but with all the cool crossovers out there, that trend seems to have been put to bed except for those who truly need it (for towing or whatever).

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive