Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:39 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,784,131 times

Advertisements

So it seems every time I open a copy of Muscle Car Review, Hemmings Muscle Machines, Car Craft, etc....I read about another drag strip being shut down.

Now Kansas City International Raceway has joined the list.

Yet I never hear about any new strips being opened.

Makes me wonder if drag strips are just a dying breed, albeit the use they still get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 03:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
I'd imagine that unless you are a participant or its an NHRA Grand National event watching a bunch of souped up Civics doesnt really have the draw that drag racing once had.
Kansas City? we used to have an NHRA Grand National event up here in Montreal till for what ever reason they moved our race to Kansas City

Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
They've re-opened two 1/8 mile tracks around here in the last few years and they seem to be doing really well and within a couple hours radius of me I can think of at least a half dozen or more 1/4 mile tracks that seem to be doing decent business...insurance and track upkeep are a major "beach" and it just keeps getting higher.

I wish Boat drags would catch on hard just a bit closer to me tho'.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
So it seems every time I open a copy of Muscle Car Review, Hemmings Muscle Machines, Car Craft, etc....I read about another drag strip being shut down.

Now Kansas City International Raceway has joined the list.

Yet I never hear about any new strips being opened.

Makes me wonder if drag strips are just a dying breed, albeit the use they still get?
Probably a couple of reason for drag strips to be dying out in popularity.

For one is the economy. Lots of people out of work and it is expensive to keep a car in top shape for racing.

Another is that the relatively unknown motor sport of "Open Tracking" on road courses.

It's been going on for years with the road racing crowd but many drag racers were late (including myself) to learn about it.

While it can be more expensive, more dangerous than drag racing it does give the opportunity to drive your street or dedicated track car on an enclosed road course at very high rates of speed. It also provide you with hours of track time a day rater than minutes a day like drag racing.
Open tracking is definitely not a spectator sport except for the couple of friends you might bring with you.

Somebody also mentioned all the Rice burners at the strip these days. That might be a reason for the drop in popularity for those who are into American muscle.

I have a 1/4 mile strip just 15 minutes from me in Rockingham NC but I would rather drive the two hours to Virginia International Raceway for some road course track time.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Probably a couple of reason for drag strips to be dying out in popularity.

For one is the economy. Lots of people out of work and it is expensive to keep a car in top shape for racing.

Another is that the relatively unknown motor sport of "Open Tracking" on road courses.

It's been going on for years with the road racing crowd but many drag racers were late (including myself) to learn about it.

While it can be more expensive, more dangerous than drag racing it does give the opportunity to drive your street or dedicated track car on an enclosed road course at very high rates of speed. It also provide you with hours of track time a day rater than minutes a day like drag racing.
Open tracking is definitely not a spectator sport except for the couple of friends you might bring with you.

Somebody also mentioned all the Rice burners at the strip these days. That might be a reason for the drop in popularity for those who are into American muscle.

I have a 1/4 mile strip just 15 minutes from me in Rockingham NC but I would rather drive the two hours to Virginia International Raceway for some road course track time.
In our situation, the closing of the race track further complicates the economy because there were many machinists, engine builders, etc that lived near KC International that made their living doing business for people that were there solely at the track. Plus the track officials are out of a job too. True it's a small number compared tot he rest of the country, but still.

As for the rice burners......I wouldn't think their appearance would drive away others.....there's not any other tracks near KC International....last I went (2 weeks ago) they still had your usual American muscle and only had a small handful of imports.

The reason for the closing depends on who you ask. But it does seem everytime I open a magazine, another track has dried up...as if the sport is now considered "old school".

Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,987 times
It is sad. Hell even the track I used to frequent had been around for awhile then new neighborhoods popped up and complained of noise. I am sure insurance costs are high. It was usually pretty packed.

What I alwasy found funny is I would tell people at work that I was going to the dragstrip to race. And they thought that ment I was going out on the streets, streetracing.

News organizations constantly calling streetracing, dragracing I guess is instilling to the general public, a sense of illegalness and danger with people racing at a sanctioned track.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 AM

You know Mustangeater, that's the problem we face with KC International. It was built in 1967 during the heart of muscle car era. The track was built out in the country away from everything and anything.

Then the houses started popping up and next thing you know, you have people complaining of the noise and traffic.

Really? You buy a house next to a race track and THEN complain?

To make matters worse, the senator also owns property next to the track, as well as someone who does fundraiser work for the senator...the latter is said to have been the first to have caused headaches for the track. The senator has not had luck for quite some time selling her land due to the proximity of the track.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
There was a strip here called Shuffletown that was in business for 40+ years. Then the area was annexed into Charlotte, and the track no longer met noise ordinances. Done.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 AM

208 posts, read 330,961 times
Sad but true.Tracks are not busy here in Portland,OR .
I miss street racing back in the 70's.Nobody ever got killed and we stayed up all night bench racing.
Police left us alone 2.
Lower River Road ...

Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Really? You buy a house next to a race track and THEN complain?
I think its the same idiots who buy a house at the end of a major airport runway then whine on about the noise..duhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive