Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times

Advertisements

^^ Good o know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
GM is using the same head unit on all the vehicles. The reason it is shown as an option is that you basically have three choices:

1. Activate the built-in nav feature into the head unit.
2. Use OnStar turn-by-turn nav.
3. No nav.

If you select to have nav as an option, they activate the built in nav in the system, but it's the same head unit. If you forego that, you can still get nav (with maps and directions displayed) by subscribing to the OnStar service. If you go with none of that, you basically just have a LCD radio screen.
My dad was very impressed by the new systems on the Terrain/Equinox and he's in his 60's! I think he's really deciding between the Terrain and Caddy SRX, he really likes the SRX but the Terrain is something like $12K less.

I like the idea of having an LCD/Nav screen standard in most vehicles, I LOVE the Ford SYNC on my F-150. I love having a backup cam/nav/stereo/cell phone/ etc all built in to my dash, it's just so convenient.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I noticed Ford has two classes of navigation. The Ford Sync and MyFordTouch. Only MyFordTouch recalculates if you make a wrong turn. Sync makes you re-enter the address (per the dealer). I found that to be pretty interesting. Sadly, I didn't get to test out the Sync before getting my car. Ford does a poor job on demoing the navigation since they are afraid of map SD card theft.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I didn't know this but evidently on the 2012 Chevy Equinox and 2012 GMC Terrain, a NAV screen with multiple functions is now standard? Can anyone confirm this? Dad called my office while he was looking at vehicles and wanted me to pull up some info about different ones- he mentioned those two he looked at had standard LCD screens in the dash.

Is this becoming the norm? Soon are most vehicles, except the very basic ones, going to come equipped with multi-function screens?

Boy, I hope not. I don't want it, don't need it and don't wish to pay for something I'll never use.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i never thought about getting a factory nav before. got one now and its a pleasure to have it.

unlike first having to have my portable with me which odds are i wont when i need it ,the factory nav is always there .

usually when initializing my portable it takes a few minutes while you drive around blind as well..

another nice thing is that the factory nav in many cars gets input from the transmission. we have a great example here in nyc where that is so handy to have.

when you come out of the mid-town tunnell within in seconds you are met with a wall and have to go left or right.

the portable has no clue yet where it is when coming out of the tunnel. the factory nav already knows from info from the transmission how far you have traveled and picks up and runs with the ball instantly telling you which way to turn. it also doesnt recalculate when your in reverse backing up a bit.

factory nav is one of those things i would never have gotten but now i never want to be without it. its like my heated steering wheel, best option i ever had that i would never have ordered on my own.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
In terms of Nav, this can be a bit misleading. Of course LCD does not equal nav, but GM adds another layer of complexity. If you have a GM vehicle you could have two different versions of navigation. One is the traditional vehicle based nav system built in to the car. The other is the OnStar nav system. If you have OnStar nav on one of the LCD equipped models it will display a map and the directions like a regular nav system but you can't interface directly with it.

So, one could argue that all GM's will come with nav very soon as all models will soon have LCD radios and they all come with OnStar nav free for 3-12 months.
I'm assuming that you are talking about the new Mylink for Chevy.

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/stow-your-phone-then-use-it/

So, Onstar will finally be able to use map in cars without build in navigation? Interesting. I can't wait to see pics of that in action.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I didn't know this but evidently on the 2012 Chevy Equinox and 2012 GMC Terrain, a NAV screen with multiple functions is now standard? Can anyone confirm this? Dad called my office while he was looking at vehicles and wanted me to pull up some info about different ones- he mentioned those two he looked at had standard LCD screens in the dash.

Is this becoming the norm? Soon are most vehicles, except the very basic ones, going to come equipped with multi-function screens?
Yep that way you can work the computers as you crash into the back of the car in front of you. Or worse yet have a head on. These things are as bad as DUI drivers.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yep that way you can work the computers as you crash into the back of the car in front of you. Or worse yet have a head on. These things are as bad as DUI drivers.
Not really. At least the drunk usually knows where he's going.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
It isn't like you're playing a game on that monitor while you're driving. It's a useful tool with the built in backup cam/nav system/bluetooth phone and other items. It's no different than reaching to change the temperature control, it isn't like you're taking your eyes off the wheel especially when the voice recognition works properly.

I've gotten so used to having one that I don't think I'll have a daily driver without anymore. I do know my way around Phoenix well enough to not use a nav system but it does come in handy when you find yourself in an area you don't normally drive. It's also much safer to answer phone calls through the bluetooth and talk through the speakers than it is to be constantly picking up my phone and fumbling around.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I'm assuming that you are talking about the new Mylink for Chevy.

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/stow-your-phone-then-use-it/

So, Onstar will finally be able to use map in cars without build in navigation? Interesting. I can't wait to see pics of that in action.
Yes, MyLink.

The OnStar system will be able to display a map with turn-by-turn directions now, but will not do things like display points of interest or let you change or enter a route while on the go without contacting OnStar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive