Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Given your price and apparent desire for a large car that has some power, I think your choices really come down to the following:

Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300
Buick Lucerne (this was going to be my suggestion, but someone beat me to it, look for a "Super" model)
Cadillac DTS
Cadillac STS

Anyone of them fits the bill as all have either standard or optional V8's or at least a large V6. The Charger/300 is the easiest suggestion as they are so readily available and the price is low. While they have their issues, they also tend to be much better in the reliability area than other Chrysler products. Just make sure you stick with the larger 3.5L V6 or the 5.7L Hemi V8. While the SRT is a great car, they will be out of your price range.

The Lucerne is a great large car and was very underappreciated in its time. It's decidedly more "old Buick", but the Super package offers V8 power and surprisingly good handling. The car also has a lot of old school GM in it, which isn't a negative when we are talking about reliability and parts availability over the long haul. The Lucerne had a lot of proven bits in it and many overlook that until recently with all their new product offerings, Buick had long been one of the most reliable manufacturers.

The DTS and STS are options because they offer the size and power, but also come with a lot of content and had low resale, so you get a lot of car for your money. The only thing that would steer me away from them is the Northstar issues on some model years, other than that they were pretty reliable cars packed with a lot of goodies. If you go this way, do your homework on the model years in question.
The Buick Lucerne "Super" and Lucerne CXS both have the same Northstar engine as the Caddy DTS. The only reason I know is because back in 2006 my dad bought a DTS and looked at the Lucerne with the Northstar V8.

If I were looking for a big, comfortable car that gets relatively good gas mileage on the highway; I'd look no further than a DTS. A little pricier than a comparable Lucerne but it's a Cadillac. Very, VERY comfortable car and has all the goodies you could want (heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, memory seats, etc etc). Too bad the next year my mom wanted to try out a Lexus and they bought one...it was a step down from the Caddy in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The Buick Lucerne "Super" and Lucerne CXS both have the same Northstar engine as the Caddy DTS. The only reason I know is because back in 2006 my dad bought a DTS and looked at the Lucerne with the Northstar V8.

If I were looking for a big, comfortable car that gets relatively good gas mileage on the highway; I'd look no further than a DTS. A little pricier than a comparable Lucerne but it's a Cadillac. Very, VERY comfortable car and has all the goodies you could want (heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, memory seats, etc etc). Too bad the next year my mom wanted to try out a Lexus and they bought one...it was a step down from the Caddy in my opinion.
You are correct, I had thought the Lucerne used the 5.3L LS4 V8, but that was used in the 2008-2009 LaCrosse Super, the Lucerne used the Northstar. Following that chain of thought the LaCrosse Super would make a good ride and for cheaper fun you could always look at the 2006-2009 Imapala SS and 2005-2008 Grand Prix GXP.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
That's amazing. Good for you! My situation though is a 40 mile daily drive to work, and home is a city where I have to go clear to the other side of town down a 6-lane highway to get to the grocery store.

I do a lot of walking though, I'm near a hundred different restaurants and coffee shops, and little shops near a university village, so on weekends I can usually keep the car parked for at least 24 hours straight. I do like weekend trips though too, and family and friends are two hours away.
Sounds like , while you don't mention it specifically, you are growing unhappy with where you live now. If that is the case then move to a more better location or find a new job.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
If I go with an SUV, I just found another one I like, the 2006-2010 Saturn Outlook.

Came across a forum post on it! Pretty impressed with the reviews and the owner comments, and I like the look.
Why buy a car brand that is no longer made? Buying an "ophan" brand is loaded with major problems start to finish. Stick with Chevy/GMC and be happy.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

265 posts, read 597,332 times
Toyota Avalon...

Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You are correct, I had thought the Lucerne used the 5.3L LS4 V8, but that was used in the 2008-2009 LaCrosse Super, the Lucerne used the Northstar. Following that chain of thought the LaCrosse Super would make a good ride and for cheaper fun you could always look at the 2006-2009 Imapala SS and 2005-2008 Grand Prix GXP.
2006-2008 Lucerne CXS. Has the same engine but a better suspension than the Super. Save some money and buy the CXS.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Alright, to start off I'll admit that what I like is out of vogue at the moment.

... I love big cars...
... would still rather have a big car...
... budget is probably going to be $12K to $15K for a used vehicle...
... trying to avoid - high maintenance costs, cars with known mechanical failures ... vehicles with a small dealer network...
Were those my most significant criteria, the first car on the list would be a 2011 Crown Victoria. Here is why:

-Price is in your range for a 2011 with 15-20k miles
-Late model car with warranty
-Lots of vehicle if you measure by length or pounds
-Platform has been around for about 30 years
-Powertrain proven for > 1 decade
-Durable as hell: Many examples of 300k+ miles
-Common car, common parts
-Good basic features but low complexity
-RWD, good ride, quiet, good turning radius for parking
-V8, powerful, smooth, and surprisingly efficient for what it is
-Late model cars have one option package with climate control, leather, etc

Negatives are, of course, that the car looks pretty dated and it's not loaded with gadgets like navigation and bluetooth and all of that. You could add those things though.

Edit: Also I suspect that they are often purchased by people who are, let's say... probably older than you are. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If the Crown Victoria isn't posh enough for you, there are also some Grand Marquis sedans that look a little more luxurious on the inside. And if that doesn't do it, the Town Car is the pinnacle of the panther platform vehicles, and although you would need to look for one a few years old, these cars seem to last forever. So unless you absolutely hated the thing, you WOULD probably be driving it in another ten years (or longer). Some of the police vehicles and livery cars being retired are 10+ years old, and with mileage in the 200k-300k range (mostly town cars). They just don't give up, they aren't expensive to repair, and they don't need many repairs.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Sounds like , while you don't mention it specifically, you are growing unhappy with where you live now. If that is the case then move to a more better location or find a new job.
Oh, I am unhappy with my living situation and commute. I'm on a year long contract though, and the work and income stability is really nice. I live in a very peaceful apartment that is well-maintained, reasonably priced, and without hassles. My work is also drama-free and my colleagues and supervisors are good people.

So there's a lot of positives -- a lot.

But the commute in winter is dreadful, and the general region I live in bores me. On top of that, most of my friends have moved all over the country, and I haven't yet found a way to connect with new friends locally. I'm trying, but just haven't come across many like-minded people. I don't make enough salary or have enough time off to do some traveling and catch up with my friends who've moved, and that bums me out.

Any movement in my job would come after this year's or possibly next year's contract but probably not sooner. Some freelance projects I'm on could pay off too, and if that happens sooner rather than later, I'll be more positioned to make a move. I'm working on it.

I'm positive-minded about the future and trying not to complain much. I have it pretty good, really.

I can work on the little stuff while I'm waiting for everything else to fall into place. A car that fits my personality better, would help too, lol.

Last edited by summer22; 12-06-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 03:35 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Were those my most significant criteria, the first car on the list would be a 2011 Crown Victoria. Here is why:

-Price is in your range for a 2011 with 15-20k miles
-Late model car with warranty
-Lots of vehicle if you measure by length or pounds
-Platform has been around for about 30 years
-Powertrain proven for > 1 decade
-Durable as hell: Many examples of 300k+ miles
-Common car, common parts
-Good basic features but low complexity
-RWD, good ride, quiet, good turning radius for parking
-V8, powerful, smooth, and surprisingly efficient for what it is
-Late model cars have one option package with climate control, leather, etc

Negatives are, of course, that the car looks pretty dated and it's not loaded with gadgets like navigation and bluetooth and all of that. You could add those things though.

Edit: Also I suspect that they are often purchased by people who are, let's say... probably older than you are. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If the Crown Victoria isn't posh enough for you, there are also some Grand Marquis sedans that look a little more luxurious on the inside. And if that doesn't do it, the Town Car is the pinnacle of the panther platform vehicles, and although you would need to look for one a few years old, these cars seem to last forever. So unless you absolutely hated the thing, you WOULD probably be driving it in another ten years (or longer). Some of the police vehicles and livery cars being retired are 10+ years old, and with mileage in the 200k-300k range (mostly town cars). They just don't give up, they aren't expensive to repair, and they don't need many repairs.
I think you're right that the CV would fit me like a glove. My first car was a late '70's Impala, and then of course I had the T-bird for over 10 years. So, I really take to V-8, rear wheel drive cars and I pretty much know how to drive them. (Put 200 pounds of sand in the back and winter is usually no problem.) I never had problems getting good gas mileage with the Thunderbird either.

I agree with you about every one of the advantages you listed. I really don't care about the gadgets, either. Satellite radio is about the only thing I want, everything else I could possibly need is on my smartphone.

That's a pretty good suggestion. As far as style goes, the big Saturn SUV is the only one I've come across that I really like. But to think I could get an '11, and really enjoy the CV... that's something to think about. I like it.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
Back in the early 60's, my dad had a '62 or '63 black Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors and all the options. He had it for about 10 years. I remember playing baseball in the yard, and the ball would get away from us and hit the car, and not leave a dent. Do that now on todays cars, and you might pay $1000+ to repair your vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive