Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times

Advertisements

I have a 1993 Camry, it has the 3.0 V6. I'm thinking of switching to Mobil clean 5000. Can I actually go 5000 Miles between changes? Do I need a special filter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
I would suggest going with whatever your owners manual states, which I believe is every 3,750 miles or 7,500 miles depending on the running conditions for the vehicle.

Though I only did a very quick search, I could've potentially been looking at the wrong owners manual, so check your own.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I would avoid synthetic oils on an older highmileage car. If anything, use a high mileage oil.

I prefer regular oil and change it every 3k. Not worried about the breakdown ofoil, just dirt and whatever else that is in the oil.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
There are literally pages of cogent commentary on 'which oil to use', and 'how long does it last', on the net...
Or, BobTheOilGuy has similar volumes, but more refined in terms of focus.

Imo, Mobil1 is very good stuff, but so is any full synthetic, and any full syn oil on the mkt will still be 'in good shape' well past that 5,000 mile mark. The filter may not...

Fwiw, M1, and similar brands of oil or, vitamins, have sliced and narrow focused their products to try and catch the eye of consumers; thus, the '5,000 Mile' oil or Centrum vitamins for the heart, or pregnant women, or...

If you find M1 on sale, in the proper viz for your car, I would have no qualms in using it for your older Camry. The myths of full syn in older cars is general bs, imo.

It can be 'regular' M1, in proper viscosity range. It is top stuff, as is any full syn...

Or, save dough and buy a 6 pack of semi-syn, (Castro among others), or save more dough and buy a sixer of 'regular oil'. And, a good filter. I suspect your Camry will not care or notice. It's an 18 yr old engine. If you are feeling flush or want to feel 'better' about your car, or suspect you might have the old sludge deal, do an oil&filter change, and then do another hot change, (oil & filter), in a few thousand miles. But, I firmly believe your engine will not care a lick or, tick.
GL, mD

Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
There are literally pages of cogent commentary on 'which oil to use', and 'how long does it last', on the net...
Or, BobTheOilGuy has similar volumes, but more refined in terms of focus.

Imo, Mobil1 is very good stuff, but so is any full synthetic, and any full syn oil on the mkt will still be 'in good shape' well past that 5,000 mile mark. The filter may not...

Fwiw, M1, and similar brands of oil or, vitamins, have sliced and narrow focused their products to try and catch the eye of consumers; thus, the '5,000 Mile' oil or Centrum vitamins for the heart, or pregnant women, or...

If you find M1 on sale, in the proper viz for your car, I would have no qualms in using it for your older Camry. The myths of full syn in older cars is general bs, imo.

It can be 'regular' M1, in proper viscosity range. It is top stuff, as is any full syn...

Or, save dough and buy a 6 pack of semi-syn, (Castro among others), or save more dough and buy a sixer of 'regular oil'. And, a good filter. I suspect your Camry will not care or notice. It's an 18 yr old engine. If you are feeling flush or want to feel 'better' about your car, or suspect you might have the old sludge deal, do an oil&filter change, and then do another hot change, (oil & filter), in a few thousand miles. But, I firmly believe your engine will not care a lick or, tick.
GL, mD
I agree most cares won't care.

But I have been around "car guys" that typically the first thing they do for there "baby" high mileage or not was throw full synthetic, usually Mobil 1 in there car.

Not all but a fair amount of them experienced some leaking, one was major leaks. Obviously other issues lead to these leaks but I have seen them not arise until they went to synthetic.

Take it for what its worth.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM

I know one cant pinpoint why a car may have a tick just by being told. Are there any products out their that can be added to oil that can help with noisy engines (ticking)?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Well Josh, you got a problem. You might want to Google Toyota sludge monster and you'll find a pic of your car. Toyota has quietly replaced thousands of these engine- my brother alone has had 3 replaced. The issue is with lousy engine design. Toyota uses the oil as the coolant for the cams at the front of the heads. This area runs incredibly hot and the oil is subject to coking. The failure is the cam breaks off at the front bearing leaving you walking and an incredibly expensive repair. While using the engine oil for a coolant is common in almost all engines these days, it can only do so much and provide lubrication as well as absorb heat. My brothers failures were with Mobil One 5w-30. M1 5w-30 only has had issues that Mobil is aware of and has refused to comment about but it's been failing IVA testing by twice the allowable wear. Since you do not have a flat tappet engine it's not all that critical but you'd be spending money for a premium oil getting ho-hum performance. I would suggest taking a look at the Motorcraft Blend oil. It's a 50%+ Gp III synthetic acid washed based oil with a great additive package. It's among the best formulations out there and wear metals in spectroscopy are lower than most other oils including the boutique synthetics. I would suggest because of the sludge issue that you keep the PCV system clean and fresh and change oil every 3000 miles.
Google

Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM

TrapperL,
Were there any recalls on these engines?

I looked through some of those articles, they don't say anything about 1993 Camry's?

Last edited by JoshB; 12-04-2011 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: X

Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Toyota never issued a recall at all. They quietly replaced failed engines as they came in the dealerships. The issue covers ALL 3.0 regardless of YM. I will tell you that the replacement engines were given out to only prime customers. My brother buys nothing but Toyotas and has all service done every year at the dealership. My direct boss had one chunk the cam AT the dealership and he ended up with an attorney and a dead POS truck. He ended up trading it for a Ford pickup. The engine is the problem, not model of vehicle or platform. They even had a lot of the Lexus fail. It's not a good engine and probably one of the worst to ever wear the Toyota name.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I use Mobil1 and change the oil every 10,000kms.7500mi, and in the last 30 years have never had any oil related engine failures or any failures due to oil before synthetic came out.
I never understood why people would change their oil at the ludicrously low 3000 mile range as over the life of the car that increased oil interval can really add up to some substantial money..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive