Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
I'm not so sure - the lacrosse (for example) I believe was partially designed in China, and in fact is the same as the u.s lacrosse. Besides, how different can you get, gm, like ford use international platforms as much as possible to keep prices low.

China is the main market for buick now, so its no surprise.
I understand the car market is a global market and these platforms are used and built in different factories and different markets all over the world. GM does it just like Toyota does, just like BMW does it, just like Honda does it, etc etc and so on when those companies sell cars in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Branded is the key word here. Many "US" auto are assembled in Mexico or Canada. On the other hand many "foreign" cars are assembled here in the USA.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
I think we might be seeing a shift as the Big 3 and their subdivisions have put out some decent vehicles in the last couple of years. Growing up, I had two F-bodies through HS and part of college, but after buying my first Subaru, I have yet to get the desire to go back, simply because my Subies have been pretty much bulletproof where as my domestics, not so much. now, I'm not saying they were pieces of junk, but the reliability isnt something I could brag about. the only domestic car that catches my eye right now that I could possibly see me having as a DD over a Subaru would be the Fusion Sport or the Focus(only if they brought back the SVT). But still, what keeps me from buying cars like that is not because those cars are bad, it's because my Subies have been so good. If I bought one, even if the slightest thing went wrong, I would inevitably say "why did I sell and/or not buy a Subaru(or other Japanese brand)?"

Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
I would personally start considering Ford again. Out of the Big 3, I feel like they are the ones who have upped their game the most. Many of their cars are sleek and handle well and have a ton of cool features. Look at the Ford Taurus. Do you see what kind of drastic transformation that vehicle has made? It went from bland fleet car to sexy entry level luxury car. The thing to keep in mind is how long these cars will last. If they are just prettier on the surface and still break down around 60k miles, then we are back at square one.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have a relative that bought a Pilot because it was cheaper than a Traverse and it had more equipment. They even had a relative that worked for Chevy.
Yeah, I can relate. I have several relatives that work for GM, Chrysler or their suppliers and I have access to employee pricing. The big discount I got is the only thing that kept me buying them as long as I did. I buy foreign makes for their reliability now and don't even consider the American makes even though I can get a discount. I am still stunned by what the Traverse is priced at, I of course have never looked at one. I just assumed they were around 25000 - $30000. There are so many other options at the price point of a Traverse at $45000 from other higher quality manufacturers, I can't imagine why somebody would buy one.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
There are so many other options at the price point of a Traverse at $45000 from other higher quality manufacturers, I can't imagine why somebody would buy one.
The Lambda triplets (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave) are just good vehicles, period. To not buy one because of brand snobbery is just a personal issue, but the the vehicles themselves have won several awards for being excellent in what they do and that includes quality and value.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The Lambda triplets (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave) are just good vehicles, period. To not buy one because of brand snobbery is just a personal issue, but the the vehicles themselves have won several awards for being excellent in what they do and that includes quality and value.

no, but the exorbitant price tag on them would push most people away ($50k)

Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Branded is the key word here. Many "US" auto are assembled in Mexico or Canada. On the other hand many "foreign" cars are assembled here in the USA.
I think what people are forgetting is that Domestic means made in North America. That can be USA, Mexico, or Canada.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I think what people are forgetting is that Domestic means made in North America. That can be USA, Mexico, or Canada.

or they could be referring to Domestic companies

Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 PM

24,473 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
no, but the exorbitant price tag on them would push most people away ($50k)
Sigh, as was shown in the links above there are new Travese's for sale from the low of 27.8K up to 40K depending on options.

My new pretty well optioned out 2008 one was less than 31K just as the 2009's came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive