Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I could put a quarter on the roof and it would jump off the car about 6 inches and turn flips when the base hit. I won a sound pressure level contest once and was hitting above the sound level of a boeing 747 taking off. The license plate fell off once and the rear bumper fell off once because the screws backed out. lol
That sounds horrible. I hope that you drive with ear plugs. It sucks to lose your hearing.

You are probably aware, but if you annoy the people around you enough with a system like that, sometimes they will get out with a bat or golf club and trash your car, or follow you and trash it when you get out. I saw a hick in a battered pick up throw into reverse and smash the front of such a car and then drive off. Some people get really pissed about being forced to listen to artillery at uncomfortable levels from a nearby car.

My son is installing one of those systems in his car (nothing that fancy). I told him that he needs to go out into a field if he wants to flatten out his hearing range by listening to artillery. I suppose he could go into Detroit and cruise the hoods without bothering anyone. You really cannot play something like that in a nice community and not get stopped every five minutes.

I love quality sound systems, but those all base focused systems are not about quality of sound, just about volume. I would not buy a car that ever had such a system in it. The constant sonic battering will cause problems over the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
I wonder if Ford dealer sells parts made in the U.S. or Canada?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Depends on the part. Some made in China, some US, some korea, some japan, some Germany, Canada, Mexico, Taiwan, probably Sri Lanka and a dozen others in there as well.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
I gave up on local parts suppliers long ago.Unless I need it asap.
RockAuto Auto Parts has a much better selection-excellent service too!
X2
I agree good service and good prices but as you said sometimes you need it now so you buy local.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I had a PT job years back at a GMC dealer. All the Factory GM electronic parts/engine controls were Chinese made. All the exhaust components were Mexican made. I am sure it is similar at Ford

Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That sounds horrible. I hope that you drive with ear plugs. It sucks to lose your hearing.

You are probably aware, but if you annoy the people around you enough with a system like that, sometimes they will get out with a bat or golf club and trash your car, or follow you and trash it when you get out. I saw a hick in a battered pick up throw into reverse and smash the front of such a car and then drive off. Some people get really pissed about being forced to listen to artillery at uncomfortable levels from a nearby car.

My son is installing one of those systems in his car (nothing that fancy). I told him that he needs to go out into a field if he wants to flatten out his hearing range by listening to artillery. I suppose he could go into Detroit and cruise the hoods without bothering anyone. You really cannot play something like that in a nice community and not get stopped every five minutes.

I love quality sound systems, but those all base focused systems are not about quality of sound, just about volume. I would not buy a car that ever had such a system in it. The constant sonic battering will cause problems over the long term.
First, if you will look back you will notice that I said they were competition cars. They were customized show cars with the latest high end audio and video entertainment systems.

Second, I don't drive around knocking pictures off of peoples walls. I would very rarely turn them up that loud outside of competitions, testing or when someone would ask to hear it at someones house or in a parking lot. I mean, you can't drive like that, it is so loud your eyes vibrate and the highs are also so loud you will black out.

Third, the last time someone came at me with a base ball bat, they were greeted with my two buddies Smith and Wesson and they decided to put the bat back in the car and move along but it had nothing to do with a stereo system. They were just a-holes that couldn't drive and had a problem with road rage apparently. If they touched it at night, the alarm would go off, I had shock, vibration, entry, and perimeter sensors. However, most of the time they were locked inside my shop anyway. My systems were never about riding down the road booming and pissing people off, although at times when I was jamming out to a song I really liked I admittedly may have irritated a few people but it was never a goal.

Fourth, my systems are not just bass machines. They are top quality low, mid and high range with surround center channels. I would often play Beethoven's fifth symphony, Mozart's symphony 40 and throw in a little Chopin Nocturne to round it out and demonstrate the range and quality of sound. My car audio systems would embarrass almost any home surround sound system. Only the cheap or poor quality sound systems are just bass and noise.

This is really far off topic anyway but the point I was trying to make earlier is that you should never be going through alternators like you mentioned. I am familiar with winches. I never had one as I have no use for it but my brother had one on a jeep. Most of them pull around 40 to 50 amps so it shouldn't be to much of a strain. A lot of times with accessories like this, the accessory (in this case the winch) people buy the best they can find but the place or whoever installs it doesn't do the upgrades to the electrical system necessary to run it without causing damage. Usually when the electrical system is being over taxed, the first thing to go is the alternator. That is really the point I was trying to make since you had mentioned that a lot of guys you know with jeeps and winches were having to replace alternators fairly often.

Last edited by dijkstra; 12-06-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Well alrighty now. Another pissing contest.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Well alrighty now. Another pissing contest.
Perhaps a separate forum specifically for that sort of posting should be established? "Competitive Urination" as a title?

Actually I get the impression, just a gut feel, that O'Riley's is a bit better than AutoZone. Last night needed a voltage regulator and they had a cheap one and a better one that had a limited lifetime warrenty - got the better one ($25) without hesitation, it's just been put into use and with luck it will work fine and last a long time - so far so good with it today.

Slightly off topic, but what is it about German car electrics and Bosch? It seems to me for alternators, starters, etc. on German cars, you either get Bosch or you wish you had.

Any sort of cheap rebuilt part - is essentially a used part with maybe some obvious stuff like brushes replaced. So it's a crap shoot, just like any other used part - some are nearly new, some are on their last legs, and it's hard to tell without taking them apart where the one you have in your hand falls on that spectrum.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Perhaps a separate forum specifically for that sort of posting should be established? "Competitive Urination" as a title?
No kiddin'

It somehow goes from returning a part to Crap-Zone to who needs the biggest alternator and then on to swinging baseball bats and drawing S&W's.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,632 times
Most of my auto parts come from online. My local autozone has too many employees without any knowledge of what they are doing.

I search for the problem online or call a local dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive