Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
For tire pressure, you are supposed to reference the CAR MANUFACTURERS SPECS (usually inside a door jam), not the specs listed on the tire.
What if you bought a none oem tire?

I tend to look at the tire wear as a basis for my tire inflation. I also tend to stay on the overinflated side.

I skimmed the thread, but surprised no one listed nitrogen? Seems like a gimic to me but.... Nitrogen gas is less affected by temp changes, it also is a "thicker" molecule and less likely to seep out of a tire(not talking about a leak).

That said I still think its a gimic in cars.

But I also think most people in this thread are a bit over reacting o. The higher tire pressures.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 12-10-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 04:33 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
Life is hard, isn't it? Tying shoe laces, paying bills, filling up your tires with air, I mean these are things I would not impose on my worst enemy

Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
What if you bought a none oem tire?

I tend to look at the tire wear as a basis for my tire inflation. I also tend to stay on the overinflated side.

I skimmed the thread, but surprised no one listed nitrogen? Seems like a gimic to me but.... Nitrogen gas is less affected by temp changes, it also is a "thicker" molecule and less likely to seep out of a tire(not talking about a leak).

That said I still think its a gimic in cars.

But I also think most people in this thread are a bit over reacting o. The higher tire pressures.

If you buy a Oem or non-Oem tire........they should still fall within the manufacturers specs for air pressure. If not.........well, in some instances you may be asking for trouble.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
a 10 psi swing isn't good for the tire or the economy. Why not just fill it to 35 psi, like the (assumed) auto manufacturer states is proper for the vehicle?

Why not just do it right, without all the silly "strategy"?

Because it's impossible to do it right unless than an acceptable deviation from the optimal value is specified. Why 35 psi and not 36 psi? or 34 psi? or 34.1 psi? Is a 1 psi deviation acceptable? 5 psi? Not enough information.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
If the non oem tire is of the same size and load range as the oem tire then the psi listed for the vehicle can be fallowed.

But if the tire is not the same size or load range
you might think so but they don't.

When you put on some larger or smaler tires or a different load range you will need to find what the "new" psi will be.
You can do a contact test.
You can do this in various ways.
Using chalk or water etc etc.
Over inflated and only the center of the tire will be making contact with the road, under inflated and only the sides of the tread will make contact.
Then watch how your tires are wearing. Adjust psi accordingly.

The MFG has done the homework for you and has listed the proper psi for the weight if the vehicle and the "oem" tire that is being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you buy a Oem or non-Oem tire........they should still fall within the manufacturers specs for air pressure. If not.........well, in some instances you may be asking for trouble.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Because it's impossible to do it right unless than an acceptable deviation from the optimal value is specified. Why 35 psi and not 36 psi? or 34 psi? or 34.1 psi? Is a 1 psi deviation acceptable? 5 psi? Not enough information.
If you work from the position that no deviation is acceptable, then it's easy to do it right. This isn't brain surgery. Check the pressure monthly at least, and if it's off, adjust as necessary.

I manage to keep mine within +-2 psi by checking a couple times a month. Allowing a 10 psi swing implies one knows it's happening, but chooses to not do anything about it. It's a silly system. That 10 psi swing means the pressure is almost always incorrect. Does that make any sense?

I refuse to accept any excuses why people cannot perform (or have it performed if they're truly unable to do it themselves) this simple task as often as needed. The anecdotal reasons in this thread being used as excuses for not keeping the pressure correct are just silly.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 12-12-2011 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
In keeping with the modern American penchant for "being into" things rather than simply doing them we now have people who are "into" tire inflation. Cool.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In keeping with the modern American penchant for "being into" things rather than simply doing them we now have people who are "into" tire inflation. Cool.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If the non oem tire is of the same size and load range as the oem tire then the psi listed for the vehicle can be fallowed.

When you put on some larger or smaler tires or a different load range you will need to find what the "new" psi will be.
Over inflated and only the center of the tire will be making contact with the road, under inflated and only the sides of the tread will make contact.

The MFG has done the homework for you and has listed the proper psi for the weight if the vehicle and the "oem" tire that is being used.
How hard is it.........you are not supposed to use a TIRE that does not fall into the specs spelled out by the CAR MANUFACTURER.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

I agree its best to see how the tires are wearing and adjust for your needs.

Yes the manufacturer did do their homework. But they didn't do homework for my conditions.

They generally design something that meets northeast snow, and southwest heat, and southeast rains... All on the same tire. In FL I bought nothing but summer only rubber, we get below freezing in SC and its funny the summer tires on m
G6 will have a flatspot and "wip" until they warm up and reform. But they are summer tires.

My camaro is a bearer, tires are old I just keep them inflated on the high side.

When I raced I had a slew of tire pressures for dragracing and autocrossing and street driving.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive