Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

[quote=PullMyFinger;22083938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I bought my wife a new Chevy Blazer one year for Christmas. I believe that was in 1997. It was what she wanted.[/quote

Did you make it a big public scene though or did you just go buy it together? I would never do that to my wife, she would be upset and know that I was losing it.

I mean I think it's a really nice gift and a really nice thing for you to do for her.
What is a big public scene?
You buy the car.
You put it on the driveway.
You say, "Surprise! Here is your car."
How is that public?
My wife and I went and picked up her car at the dealership.
The DEALERSHIP wraps every new car purchase with a bow.

I dunno...with everyone's lives on facebook for the whole world to see, I am not sure what you mean by public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
New cars are bought everyday. What difference does it make if someone buys one right around Christmas?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
[quote=stan4;22084997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

What is a big public scene?
You buy the car.
You put it on the driveway.
You say, "Surprise! Here is your car."
How is that public?
My wife and I went and picked up her car at the dealership.
The DEALERSHIP wraps every new car purchase with a bow.

I dunno...with everyone's lives on facebook for the whole world to see, I am not sure what you mean by public.
Four years ago, my dad surprised my mom with a new Lexus for Christmas and it wasn't a public spectacle at all. They were planning on buying one anyway so why not have it be a surprise? It was sort of fun to see her reaction when it was sitting in the driveway with a big, red bow.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I've seen it first hand. I've worked at luxury auto dealers off and on for six years. I've seen Cadillac, Lexus, Land Rover, Porsche, Audi, and BMW purchases.

The largest one I saw a guy bought a 100K XLR-V for his wife for Christmas. A lot of those big baller guys get year end bonuses or their accountants recommend they buy something they can write off right before the end of the year or they'll lose that cash. I think that loophole has closed so to speak, but I don't occupy that tax bracket so I wouldn't really know.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
This thread reminded me of something my brother did quite a few years ago. I was fresh out of college and neither my parents nor I had cell phones. So, we decided as a small present to each other that we would get phones and share the cost of the plan. We never thought in a million years that anyone would actually buy us cell phones. Well, my brother shows up on Christmas and hands each of us a wrapped cell phone and says, "Hey, I bought you cell phones, I know you guys wanted them....you only have to pay $20 a month each to be on my plan....just give me the cash each month." We sheepishly told him we had just gotten phones, but thankfully we could still cancel our plan under the 30-day trial period. I mean seriously, who gives someone a present with a monthly payment attached?

The next year I took a BMW from work, put a giant bow on it and wrapped up the keys. I handed him the wrapped keys and a fake payment book. Look, I got you a BMW for Christams, all you need to do is make 60 monthly payments of $499....he got the point.

As for the actual topic, I get why people do it. If I had the financial means where the actual purchase or financing wasn't a big deal, I would buy a car for my wife and do the whole bow on the car in the driveway thing. I know what she would like to drive and she would probably be thrilled. As it is, cars are a major financial purchase in my house, so I couldn't see doing it on a total whim without her being involved. If it was a situation where we were already looking for a car and just hadn't found one yet, I may try to pull off something like that assuming I could work out how to handle her trade in and not tip my hat.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Oddly enough my Grandparents did this. Funnier still is the fact that it was a Lexus. Grandpa bought my Grandma a brand new Lexus GS300 back in 2006 I think it was for their 50th wedding anniversary. She got the car and he got a Rolex.

They're old and have the disposable income so why the hell not I guess.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Honestly, cars are made to run for many years, but people buy new ones for themselves ALL THE TIME. Might as well buy one for someone else and make their day instead.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:36 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
So, did anyone here actually find a car wrapped under a giant novelty bow tie sitting on the driveway for them this morning? And that it was a true surprise?

Old 12-25-2011, 05:31 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
I did for my mother a few years ago. I'll never forget her smile (her car was older), big bow and everything.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:03 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Paris Hilton's boyfriend, bought her a Lexus LFA for her birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive