Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
They also can't maintain speed. Recently was behind one who constantly sped up and slowed down. When I finally had a clear spot to pass, I was not surprised to see the woman was busy texting while driving. She began drifting into my lane so I hit my horn. She was so startled she dropped her cell phone and slammed the brakes. Naturally she was mad at me even though she was at fault and I legally used my car horn to warn her of a pending accident.
Yes that gets on my nerves too. Maybe we should just start laying on the horn everytime we pass one of these idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 AM

133 posts, read 173,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Dude, like I'm not a hippie, OK man?
When I put the bong away I am completely capable of talking on a cell and driving as long as I have my groovy Woodstock 8-track going to mellow me out. And I think my smart-phone is far out man!

And dudes that stereotype really bum me out man!
"HEY man is that freedom rock? Well turn it up man."

Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
^^ Yes, the freedom to have a safe driving environment free of Nimrods on their cell phone pulling dangerous sh** that almost gets me killed.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
^^ Yes, the freedom to have a safe driving environment free of Nimrods on their cell phone pulling dangerous sh** that almost gets me killed.
Oh believe me I agree that texting while driving is a stupid thing to doz. But using blutooth or an FM device to play it through your stereo should be allowed. And putting a jamming device in an auto is insane. If I'm in the back seat with my daughter I should ne allowed to use my phone.

And what about smokers? I can have total wart in front of me at the light that sits there when light turns green or someone driving on the interstate at 50mph and guess what I see when I pass them; they're puffing on their pimp stick.

If someone has a wreck and cars black records an impact at the same time and the wireless providers logs show a conversation then hold them responsible.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
Oh believe me I agree that texting while driving is a stupid thing to doz. But using blutooth or an FM device to play it through your stereo should be allowed. And putting a jamming device in an auto is insane. If I'm in the back seat with my daughter I should ne allowed to use my phone.

And what about smokers? I can have total wart in front of me at the light that sits there when light turns green or someone driving on the interstate at 50mph and guess what I see when I pass them; they're puffing on their pimp stick.

If someone has a wreck and cars black records an impact at the same time and the wireless providers logs show a conversation then hold them responsible.
Yes a total ban would be inconvenient. But if that's what it takes because general public cannot "police" themselves and law enforcement fails to enforce hand's free(not to mention all the states without handfree laws) so be it. When it's your loved one maimed or dead, what good will that black box and after the fact punishment do for them? And yes, I am also "goofy" enough to say breathalyzers should be required to start a car and that helmets should be required for all bikers and cyclists.

Maybe I don't understand the "need" for constantly fiddling with a smartphone like an addicted cyborg. OMG how in blazes did we EVER get along without doing this before?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
OMG how in blazes did we EVER get along without doing this before?
This is the dumbest reasoning for banning something. It works for every comfort and convenience item starting with phones and going back to indoor plumbing.

Why not ban cars? After all, that would cure all traffic acident deaths and like you said, OMG how in blazes did we EVER get along without driving for centuries before?

Just accept that there's going to be risk in the activity, train people better, and punish them for failure.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
This is the dumbest reasoning for banning something. It works for every comfort and convenience item starting with phones and going back to indoor plumbing.

Why not ban cars? After all, that would cure all traffic acident deaths and like you said, OMG how in blazes did we EVER get along without driving for centuries before?

Just accept that there's going to be risk in the activity, train people better, and punish them for failure.
We are talking about phones. Other distractions like putting on make up or eating while driving aren't as easy to stop. The logic of "Well we can't stop all the problems so let's not stop this one" is well.....illogical. Maybe I am a Luddite in that I can get by without using my cell phone while driving.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Hey how about banning civil aviation? 200 YRS ago we weren't flying and they . And airplanes are essentially spaceships operating within our atmosphere.

We got along fine without micro computers for generations. Now anyone can own a PC and they might look at dirty things on the net.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:10 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Get what, that talking on a handsfree phone is no more or less distracting than talking to a car full of people.
If you have to be told, or have some one draw you a picture. You are the ones we are all talking about, and read in the paper that cause accidents.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:52 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times
Too much government. Too hard to enforce. And to be fair, fooling with a GPS can also cause an accident, so ban that. You could be distracted reaching for french fries in the bag next too you. No more eating in the car. What? you looked down to change the radio station which is at 8 million decibals anyway. Too distracting. Ban it. What? someone died while having an argument with thier passenegr because they were distracted? No more passengers. It will be one thing after another and people will still do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive