Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

I use GPS constantly, but i use the one built into my phone. It works better because I do nt have to input the address. I just tap on the address from a calenrder entry or E-mail and it takes me there. If I ever do need to put in an address with my phone, I can speak it. It is much safer than trying to punh in an address while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 AM

237 posts, read 499,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
To be honest, I find my smartphone infinitely more helpful than a stand alone GPS. Might be something to consider....
Exactly! The gps on my Droid X is infintely better than any stand-alone unit or in-dash system I've used. Plus, it's portable, free, requires no map updates, and won't age un-gracefully like most in-dash systems. The days of one-trick devices like gps are numbered...
j

Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
I use mine frequently since I am a real estate agent.

I have both. I have a Garmin from when I had my old car and now I have a factory installed one. I like the factory installed one because it does voice commands and the screen is much larger. When I travel out of state and am in a rental car, I just take the portable one.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM

19 posts, read 56,658 times
I used to use mine alot when I was working for the Power company (installing "green" hvac controls)
My service area covered from down the street from my house to 1 1/2 hr ride away. So it came in very handy, being we didnt get our jobs downloaded to our handheld computer till 5am that morning and had to be at first job by 8am. Now I use it mostly on weekends. Usually to look at homes that are in foreclosure and cheap. Im also a volly for emergency services (FireDept) I use it once in awhile to find a unfimular location. But mine is a $80 garmin from wally world. I can't see spending $1000 for a built in one.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Never (don't have one).

I think they are making us dumber and more disoriented.
I second that. Dont need one.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I use a first generation Garmin E Map for off roading. Knowing how one got into the mess one finds oneself can be very comforting in an odd sort of way. it also helps to know which way is out.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Exactly! The gps on my Droid X is infintely better than any stand-alone unit or in-dash system I've used. Plus, it's portable, free, requires no map updates, and won't age un-gracefully like most in-dash systems. The days of one-trick devices like gps are numbered...
j
I have the in-car sash GPS and GPS software on my phone.

The Phone GPS is for walking around and travel. The car GPS is for when I am the driver. It has a nie big screen, voice commands, traffic info and tells me the speed on the road. For me, the in-car navigation was important, but I definitely wouldn't bother with a stand alone one.

Being able to use voice commands, and having a huge screen without needing suction cups/stickers and an extra battery was worth $1K for me. And well I always have my smartphone for a backup.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 PM

182 posts, read 612,349 times
I use it when I'm in a rush and don't have time to look at a map.

Personally, I like planning my trips ahead of time. So if I'm going to a friend's place and I don't know where it is, I like to map it on Google Maps and study the route allowing me to get there without using a GPS. It helps me memorize the route and learn the roads quite quickly.

If I'm in a completely foreign city, then I don't bother wasting time to study a map. I'll just use GPS in this scenario.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
A lot of people have more than one car that they use on a regular basis. It makes no sense to spend $1,000 for a built in GPS when the portable works in every car. Same could be said for the cell phone .

Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Just picked up a new Tom Tom for Christmas. Big screen, voice controls, real time traffic, etc. Great for long trips where you aren't familiar with the area.

But it won't get used on a daily basis around town. No need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive