Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times

Advertisements

Hyundai has definitely cleaned Hondas clock, Hondas boring styling design of their cars is hurting their sales. With the recession car buyers are more demanding they want a nice looking high quality reliable vehicle and the competition is fierce. Saab is just the latest victim there will be more in the next months and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The reviews for the brand new Civic have been devastating for what had been the gold standard of compacts in this country since 1980.

According to a recent article in Automobile News, Honda is giving serious consideration to redoing the Civic again in 2014...
Honda Civic = Chrysler Sebring Part Deux

Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
Hyundai has definitely cleaned Hondas clock, Hondas boring styling design of their cars is hurting their sales. With the recession car buyers are more demanding they want a nice looking high quality reliable vehicle and the competition is fierce. Saab is just the latest victim there will be more in the next months and years.
Care to elaborate on what brands are next?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent that has not given me any problems untill recently. It needs a Catalytic Converter. Other than that nothing in its 131,000 miles. My sister has a Hyundai Santa Fe and has not had any problems with that SUV. She just bought a 2012 Honda Civic with about every gadget that the Civic comes with and I was very Impressed. She kept the Santa Fe because she still likes it.

The little thing that I like about the Civic was the picture screen near the guages. You download whatever pictures that you want and it keeps them in there. It also has the GPS Map screen that my kids were impressed with. My son had to go to a school Christmas party at one of his friends homes and instead of looking up directions on our computer I had her take him to the car so he could find out where the kid lived. My son liked that. Probably wondering if we will ever get something like that in our cars. LOL

I haven't looked at new cars in a while but am impressed with what I am seeing from Honda, Hyundai, and Ford. Maybe I will venture out to see what others are building to see what I may want in the way of a future car.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I bought a new car a month ago. My 2003 Elantra had an issue that was too expensive to repair at 101000 miles. Before I started shopiing, if you would have asked me what I was going to buy next, I would have named a few options from Toyota and Honda. With the outliers of Subaru and Nissan. I ended up getting a Ford Focus. In the end it felt more polished than the competition and offered a lot of high-end features. Honda and Toyota haven't quite figured out the new compact buyers like me. We want a loaded small car. Larger cars need not apply. (for the record I am 33. My friends, even the ones who have purchased new cars recently, haven't moved up to a mid-size, even though they have plenty of income to afford it.)

Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Lots of people seem plenty pleased with the new Focus. Hope you have good luck with it.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The reviews for the brand new Civic have been devastating for what had been the gold standard of compacts in this country since 1980.

According to a recent article in Automobile News, Honda is giving serious consideration to redoing the Civic again in 2014, since the Elantra & Focus have eclipsed it as the new gold standards in the compact category.
They are indeed fast tracking a midcycle refresh for the Civic, or perhaps it is a next generation model - not sure. But I am sure that the new Civic has been a disapointment and it has nothing to do with the tsunami. The Chevy Cruze is very close to knocking off the Corolla as the best selling compact and the new Sonic has huge demand as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They are indeed fast tracking a midcycle refresh for the Civic, or perhaps it is a next generation model - not sure. But I am sure that the new Civic has been a disapointment and it has nothing to do with the tsunami. The Chevy Cruze is very close to knocking off the Corolla as the best selling compact and the new Sonic has huge demand as well.
I just read that Honda is not going to wait to redo the Civic and they will replace the allready remade car next year with a new model. I didn't even know they were having problems. My sisters car is an amazing machine and it is a 2012.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:32 PM

133 posts, read 173,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

1st the escape is a decent vehicle. Screw reviews, I will read them and take them into account, but when it comes to choosing I usually disagree with their results.
The model that the reviewers rate highest
comes from the company that pays the most under the table.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:22 PM

91 posts, read 199,615 times
As a former Honda Fanboy, I'm curious to see if there is anyone here willing to take a stab at defending Honda products today. Honda has gone from top-to-bottom of the industry in technology, quality, and driving dynamics in a decade; size-relative, it may be the single fastest fall from grace of any Japanese company ever. And with the current leadership at Honda, it's only going to get worse.

Their business strategy is to utilize 30 year old technology on drivetrains and zero competitive technology generally under the guise of reliability; I guess because their engineers haven't come up with an original idea since the VTEC in the 80's and subsequently utilize zero interesting technology they can claim it's reliable...because there is significantly less stuff to break. And they do this alll while pricing their vehicles above domestic competition in most cases.

Ever since Honda moved many plants to the states, their reliability hit the tank. As this happened, Ford completely revamped everything, and IMO they are industry leaders in almost every class these days.

Honda have gone from unique and sporty to ungodly hideous across-the-board. From the Ridgeline to the Civic to the Accord imo.. It's not even that Honda isn't keeping up with the now-serious Ford's and Hyundais, they've actually gotten worse just compared to themselves in previous years.

Honda still makes the best manual clutch in the auto industry sans supercars IMO. That's literally all they have going for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive