Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,194,823 times

Advertisements

OK. I'll bite.

This wishful thinking about about Honda's poor reliability is simply a joke. Nothing bears it out. Styling? Well that is something that is purely your opinion. We all have those. Even with the shortages of cars to sell in the Summer, Honda still has Accord, Civic, and CR-V as top 20 sellers and they aren't at the bottom.

Our family has purchased 5 new Hondas since 2004. 04 Civic LX Coupe, 07 Accord SE, 06 Civic Coupe, and my wife and youngest daughter now each have a 2010 Accord SE. many miles later (lots of kid miles too) and we have had virtually zero issues with any of them. I guess that's poor quality. 5 different vehicles over a 6 year period is a pretty good sample.

Our Miata and GMC truck have been very reliable as well.

My neighbors Nissan and Toyota offerings have not been nearly as trouble free. In the same time period I have been through three transmissions in two different Ford company vehicles... but I don't bash Ford as being junk.

It simply reeks of hate (or envy) to post such unsubstantiated crap about anybody... much less Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 02:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,870,173 times
I can only speak for Hondas and well, they are behind most cars of today. I wouldn't call them unreliable but they seem to be a bit...meh compared to most cars competing in today's market.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:17 PM

26,380 posts, read 46,277,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I bought a new car a month ago. My 2003 Elantra had an issue that was too expensive to repair at 101000 miles. Before I started shopiing, if you would have asked me what I was going to buy next, I would have named a few options from Toyota and Honda. With the outliers of Subaru and Nissan. I ended up getting a Ford Focus. In the end it felt more polished than the competition and offered a lot of high-end features. Honda and Toyota haven't quite figured out the new compact buyers like me. We want a loaded small car. Larger cars need not apply. (for the record I am 33. My friends, even the ones who have purchased new cars recently, haven't moved up to a mid-size, even though they have plenty of income to afford it.)
I have a Focus rental and I am fairly impressed overall with the interior and fit and finish. It is the four door hatchback model. The LED interior illumination is certainly a nice touch in the compact segment.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:35 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,746,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
That's good news for tow truck drivers, mechanics, and our enemies in the middle east that rely on guzzlers to keep them rich.
I looked at the report, the biggest increase in auto sales was mid-sized SUV's, Larger SUV's and trucker were up as well. People are getting used to paying $3 a gallon for gas, America's love affair with BIG vehicles isn't over quite yet. It will take another oil price spike before they once again see the error of there ways.

The thing that pisses me off is they are the first one's to whine about higher oil prices, complaining they can't afford to put gas in there vehicles to get to work. What do you think is going to happen when you have a auto that only get 18 MPH at best?

Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,614,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I looked at the report, the biggest increase in auto sales was mid-sized SUV's, Larger SUV's and trucker were up as well. People are getting used to paying $3 a gallon for gas, America's love affair with BIG vehicles isn't over quite yet. It will take another oil price spike before they once again see the error of there ways.

The thing that pisses me off is they are the first one's to whine about higher oil prices, complaining they can't afford to put gas in there vehicles to get to work. What do you think is going to happen when you have a auto that only get 18 MPH at best?
Not that I am an SUV/truck defender. But how is there opinion of what they drive an error? It's an opinion.

I can definitely say a small SUV makes life with a small kid mych better.

Yes my wife and kid can travel in my camaro with a trunk full of groceries and we can even pick up an 8 foot Xmas tree all together in it. We did it. We still primarily use our g6 with the kid usually. When our family visits and they have a small suv, first thing we do is toss one into their truck.

Doesn't mean it was comfortable or convenient.

And these vehicles are getting 20s for fuel efficiency.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,224,675 times
People are finally realizing they have to do a little research and not just buy off of rep.

The gap between Honda,Toyota and everyone else is closing in fast. They'd better step it up.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:08 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,738,437 times
I bought a Hyundai Elantra over the Corolla. But I picked the Toyota Highlander over the Hyundai Sante Fe.

It all depends on the vehicle type and model offerings.

If I wanted a full-sized pickup it would be one from the Big 3. If I wanted a compact pickup I'd probably go with a Tacoma or Frontier.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,503,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
OK. I'll bite.

This wishful thinking about about Honda's poor reliability is simply a joke. Nothing bears it out. Styling? Well that is something that is purely your opinion. We all have those. Even with the shortages of cars to sell in the Summer, Honda still has Accord, Civic, and CR-V as top 20 sellers and they aren't at the bottom.

Our family has purchased 5 new Hondas since 2004. 04 Civic LX Coupe, 07 Accord SE, 06 Civic Coupe, and my wife and youngest daughter now each have a 2010 Accord SE. many miles later (lots of kid miles too) and we have had virtually zero issues with any of them. I guess that's poor quality. 5 different vehicles over a 6 year period is a pretty good sample.

My neighbors Nissan and Toyota offerings have not been nearly as trouble free. In the same time period I have been through three transmissions in two different Ford company vehicles... but I don't bash Ford as being junk.

It simply reeks of hate (or envy) to post such unsubstantiated crap about anybody... much less Honda.
Honda is way behind the curve, for people that live in the past, hate cars and are scared to accept the truth. Their "Honduh" now sucks. Honda refuses to accept this and continues to sell average to their loyal fans who make up every excuse in the book to buy it and rationalize while its better.

Honda is better at one thing today. Making uglier cars than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
People are finally realizing they have to do a little research and not just buy off of rep.

The gap between Honda,Toyota and everyone else is closing in fast. They'd better step it up.
Agreed, the gap has closed. Toyota seems to have gotten the memo, Honda relies on their loyal inept fans to sell average ugly crap to them.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:45 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
I have a Civic parked in the back of the house, a 1987 Si. It shows around 257K on the odometer, and I have never had any major mechanical problems with it. Never used synthetic oil in it like a lot of us do these days, and it still does not burn a drop of oil. I use regular 5W-30 oil during the winter months, and 10W-40 during the summer. The alternator is the easiest to work on of any car I have ever had. For example, if the light comes on and I figure that it's from the alternator, I go to NAPA and buy a set of alternator brushes for it. Some of these brushes come soldered on the plastic holder as a kit, but sometimes they don't so I do it myself. The next step is to remove the old brush kit from the alternator, without removing the alternator from the motor (just loosen two small Phillips screws, and retrieve the kit), then use the same screws on the new brush kit. Now it's good for a few more years of driving

But one component is a little difficult to get at, and that's the water pump. I have replaced this component once, and every few years the brake pads and shoes. I have also replaced the CV-jpint boots (the crack every few years during the very cold Alaska winters). I replace the oil every 3,000 miles, too. The oil is usually NAPA brand, but I have used Castrol, and Quaker State (nothing fancy).

I have also replaced the heater blower (fan), the belts in the motor, and the timing belt around 100K miles.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:35 PM

91 posts, read 198,561 times
Quote:
OK. I'll bite.

This wishful thinking about about Honda's poor reliability is simply a joke.
I don't argue that they have extremely poor reliability. I Do argue however that reliability used to be something of a huge selling point for Honda, and they no longer can wave that flag. Almost all manufacturers short Subaru and Chrysler report 250K+ miles out of engine/tranny on a huge number of their vehicles, with little things here and there a possibility. The world has improved while Honda has remained stagnant at best; in fact, their automatic transmissions en masse are flat-out unreliable and terribly behind the times. Honda's reliability has gone down significantly since they switched leadership and moved to North America. I therefore believe that there is literally no reason to buy a Honda as they don't lead the pack in anything else at all beyond their now-mythical reputation for superior reliability.

Quote:

Sounds like you've just had very good luck with cars. If all of your vehicles have been reliable, how do you conclude that Honda is an uber-reliable brand? The stats certainly don't back that up.
Quote:

what exactly is unsubstantiated in my claims? I currently own a Honda. No envy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive