Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I don't want to sound rude, but why not just fix the oil leak? It's environmentally unsound to drive around dripping oil on the ground anyway,
It's an engine, they burn oil, fuel, etc...and will occasionally leak some also. If you're wanting to save the planet, don't drive a car...ride a horse. As to fixing the leak, it can sometimes depend on the where the leak is. My VW drips a very small bit of oil from the rear main seal area. According to my sources, the rear main is sealed by the transmission, and the park is not serviceable...so short of buying a new transmission, the car will leak a little bit of oil. Long as it doesn't become excessive, I'm fine with that...but there'd be no way I'd spend lots of cash just to save a bit of oil, a stain on a driveway, or much else...it certainly isn't going to destroy planet earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 01:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
If it's just one leak in a certain spot any sort of pan with oil dry or cat litter will do the ttick as has been mentioned. If you have leaks at the engine, transmission, and differential (if it's a rear-wheel-drive) you might want to look into a rubber mat specifically made to protect the garage floor. Home improvement stores usually carry them, and I'm sure any auto parts store could get one although they may not keep them in stock.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Yep a cheapie oil drip pan like this:

Walmart.com: ATP Extra Large Oil Drip Pan: Automotive

Son #2 was using one of his moms backing pans until she caught him, one like this.

Norpro Stainless Steel Baking Sheet - 10 x 15 Inches 3865

Old 12-23-2011, 05:23 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I use garbage can lids upside down.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
It's an engine, they burn oil, fuel, etc...and will occasionally leak some also. If you're wanting to save the planet, don't drive a car...ride a horse. As to fixing the leak, it can sometimes depend on the where the leak is. My VW drips a very small bit of oil from the rear main seal area. According to my sources, the rear main is sealed by the transmission, and the park is not serviceable...so short of buying a new transmission, the car will leak a little bit of oil. Long as it doesn't become excessive, I'm fine with that...but there'd be no way I'd spend lots of cash just to save a bit of oil, a stain on a driveway, or much else...it certainly isn't going to destroy planet earth!
No kidding?

No such thing as a rear main seal being sealed by the transmission. It is quite replaceable but the transmission does have to come out to do it. That can get expensive. If the OP's leak is easily fixable, it would be a lot less trouble than using diapers. It was simply a suggestion.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Is epoxy floor coating too expensive? The land lord might buy it if you agree to apply it .

Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
^^ It could be expensive and labor intensive.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliablossom View Post
Thanks for the replies folks. The thing is, it's not my garage, and the person renting it to me wants me to put something under the car that can be removed later on. Some kind of mat, I think, so I'm looking for a rec. for something like that. Cardboard is a great idea, I would do that if it were my garage, but the owner won't go for that. I'm getting a great deal on the rental so I am happy to buy something but not sure what to get.
Buy a couple of cheap tarps , then tape, or bolt down, drawn tight, put down kitty litter where there are oil drips, sweep up litter when "full" , then put down new litter, repeat.

Cost about $25 for all when done but WILL protect floor from damage.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
No kidding?

No such thing as a rear main seal being sealed by the transmission. It is quite replaceable but the transmission does have to come out to do it. That can get expensive. If the OP's leak is easily fixable, it would be a lot less trouble than using diapers. It was simply a suggestion.
Not true. In fact, plain wrong for the most part.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Not true. In fact, plain wrong for the most part.
Ridiculous.

Explain to me how a rear main seal can be replaced without removing the transmission from the engine?

I'll wait. This should be really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive