Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,014,363 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed regional preferences for specific car-makes among car-buying public in the USA? For instance, I know people in Michigan, and around Detroit in particular, mostly buy domestic. Similarly, when I visited Seattle, it was hard to see any domestic vehicles other than pick-ups/large SUVs. Tons of Japanese cars though.

So are there more such trends? Do/did some areas prefer Fords over Chevrolet, and vice-versa? Where do/did people buy more Mopars? Any preference of Honda over Toyota, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,201,548 times
I buy cars for a living. It is indeed a very regional thing. Here, the Suburban, Tahoe, Full sized Pickup are still king. The state is about 1000 miles wide, so space is not an issue. Many urban markets favor smaller imported cars. I have friends who make their entire living off of buying in one market and selling in another.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 PM

392 posts, read 1,856,588 times
I can't speak to lately but it used to be even Detroit neighborhoods leaned heavily towards one brand or another. East side was Chevrolet, west was Ford. Makes sense given the locations of the comapny headquarters. Way back then Chrysler headquarters was in Detroit so I didn't sense as much of a grouping.
I've heard St. Louis was a big Mopar town.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:10 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,269,871 times
Yes.

California is almost exclusively Japanese & German cars. Hyundai & Kia becoming a little more popular lately. Only American cars on the road are usually rental cars. A LOT of luxury marques in general. Mercedes, BMW is just an average car, nothing to turn heads. A lot of RWD sports sedans.

Colorado-- About 50% American, 50% foreign cars. Subarus are extremely popular here, due to AWD. A lot of "cute utes" on the road.

Midwest-- Almost exclusively American cars depending on what specific region you're in.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,875,566 times
I remember on a bus trip to Chicago entering Ohio and Indiana, domestics were rampant. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Midwest thing since the domestics have factories in those areas. California is filled with imports from both Europe and Asia. I don't know the reason behind that. Subarus are popular in states where heavy snowfall occurred.

Vegas pilgrim beat me to it.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 PM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
Here in the Deep South I don't really notice any make being dominant. GM, Toyota, and Ford seem to be the top three from what I can tell. Toyota and Nissan have nearly all of the small truck market.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,910,553 times
Subarus are commonplace in VT too, along with 4WD pickups - I'd give the edge to the Ford trucks. Also starting to catch on are the Suzuki SX-4s.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,053,243 times
Here it's Ford & Chevy pickups,Avalanches,Tahoes,Expeditions,'Burbs,Excur sions and then the soccer mom generic mini vans.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:53 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,014,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I can't speak to lately but it used to be even Detroit neighborhoods leaned heavily towards one brand or another. East side was Chevrolet, west was Ford. Makes sense given the locations of the comapny headquarters. Way back then Chrysler headquarters was in Detroit so I didn't sense as much of a grouping.
I've heard St. Louis was a big Mopar town.
Interesting.

If the big three had their headquarters/assembly plants in different regions, say, in Detroit, Los Angeles and Houston, then there would have been even more of a preference one way or another.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,053,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Interesting.

If the big three had their headquarters/assembly plants in different regions, say, in Detroit, Los Angeles and Houston, then there would have been even more of a preference one way or another.
I actually think it has way more to do with the local dealers and a vehicles reputation.

In this area we have one of the worst Mopar dealers you can have.The dealership has been owned by the same thieving family since at least the early 40's .Poor dealer service plus a horrible service dept along with an inferior product and you get less of that brand in one area.

On the other hand,there are several GM & Ford dealers within an easy drive who will deal with you and whose service depts are high,but at least knowledgable and Ford and GM make a better product too,so this area is full of them.JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive