Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I remember seeing guys trade in their domestic hotrods for Honda Civics thinking they could fly. It was really sad!
People around you really did that? Around here the V8/domestic guys are all still V8 domestic guys. Maybe you had a few kids who only had V6 Mustangs or were trying to race their mom's FWD V6 Lumina go over to the import world, but the domestic and import camps are still pretty divided. Fast and Furious just made it popular to stick a fart can and an aluminum APR wing on to ANYTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is all generational. People just pick on what's now and what the kids are doing and forget that their generation did the same thing to older cars but in a different way. Fart cannons, glass packs, Screamin' Eagle pipes on HD's - it is all the same to me - and can be equally obnoxious when taken to the extreme - I don't disapprove one or the other.

I suppose in the future my kid(s) will be complaining about youngsters putting "Zap" packs or Flux capacitors or whatever on their hybrids that make the air snap crackle and pop when they drive by giving everybody goosebumps or mild static shock because that'll be the "in" thing to do.
I'm still laughing at this!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
When the Fast and the Furious was released.
What I was thinking....but I think the fart can muffler was around a few years prior to the first movie. Just the movie made any 16 year old kid driving mom's hand me down Civic, think slapping on a wing, a fart can and a few stickers made him the hottest **** in town.

fart-n-fart-n-faaaarrrrttttt..........

Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
also.. what is with the anodized aluminum tabs hanging off the front and rear of the ricers I see?
"Tow hooks..."

Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Geez.... I have been playing with cars since I was in high school, and never heard of that term.
The term 'fart cannon' is hilarious, but since I live not too far from Lawrence, MA, where about half the cars are Civics lowered to about 2" from the ground with an exhaust pipe about 5" in diameter... I get the point.

I don't think this would qualify as a 'fart cannon', but the last car I built was a Pro-Street '67 Chevelle, that was 100% street legal (decent mufflers etc, but the exhaust had to go in front of the rear tires, as there was no way to get them over the rear axle (4-link with 22" wide tires).
So what I did was also put in a tee right behind the headers, that would exit just behind the front tires, and then put in electric exhaust cutouts (the decent ones).
The blown big-block at WOT could throw out some nice flames. Only did that a couple of times, because if the men in blue saw that on the street, I would guess I would be going downtown

Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
And when will it end.
Call me a cranky, 28 year old geezer, but it seems that the more I try to attempt to get away from areas where these types of cars are driven, the more they seem to just pop up.
Apart from that, I just want to know which part of the US did this whole entire thing start in anyway?

My best guess best would be where I live right now due to the heavy pockets of "cruiser clubs" with many of these vehicles being the staple.
They should be ticketed and confiscated just like drugmobiles.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM

373 posts, read 710,018 times
The entire purpose of all these noise makers is to attrack the LADYS.. Many like the sound of termites in heat...lol

Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I don't think this would qualify as a 'fart cannon', but the last car I built was a Pro-Street '67 Chevelle, that was 100% street legal (decent mufflers etc, but the exhaust had to go in front of the rear tires, as there was no way to get them over the rear axle (4-link with 22" wide tires).
So what I did was also put in a tee right behind the headers, that would exit just behind the front tires, and then put in electric exhaust cutouts (the decent ones).
The blown big-block at WOT could throw out some nice flames. Only did that a couple of times, because if the men in blue saw that on the street, I would guess I would be going downtown
No sir, what you just described, is called "badass". The kids with fart cans on their cars only wished they were cool enough to own such a car as you have described. They won't admit it but they try to play it off by making excuses such as "oh it doesn't corner, it's only good in a str8 line..." etc.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Even then most stock 5.0 mustang owners never went to a full 3-inch exaust because it cost them alot of low end torque and was not worth it..

Which is why most aftermarket 5.0 flowmaster 40 series or Borla full Cat-back Exhaust kits were 2-1/2" or 2-3/4"

Do they really think that? Let them know it's about exhaust flow being lost...not torque.

Let's rid ourselves of that "backpressure is needed" myth...along with pink HIDs (I assume very helpful at night) and any HIDs in non-projector housings (because that 91 Exploder with yellowing headlamps really put HIDs to optimal use) and we can save booming sound systems that nobody wants to hear for another day.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
No sir, what you just described, is called "badass". The kids with fart cans on their cars only wished they were cool enough to own such a car as you have described. They won't admit it but they try to play it off by making excuses such as "oh it doesn't corner, it's only good in a str8 line..." etc.
one counter point i'd make, is at least up north old clean muscle cars are not easy or cheap to find. Hondas are a dime a dozen. While i dont care for any car that's been crapped out, I can appreciate anything modified nicely that can haul arse. One of my buds still has his 72 Chevelle (he's had it for around 30 years ) and at near 500hp it could be considered badass enough. On flip side my son in law runs near same hp in his s2000 and another in their group runs consistant 10.9's in his turbo hatch. Both i'd consider badass as well; but both are modded quite nicely. In fact that s2k "scares" me more then same drive in the Chevelle.... being that close to the ground adds to thrill factor and smiles...
After all if the car trips the time under 11 sec does it matter how they got there? Guess i've learned to enjoy any nice car regardless of it's generation. And an idiot driver in any car is still an idiot. Hell not everyone was fond of the v8 pinto i used to run on the street..... but as long as i was in front i didnt care what they thought lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive