Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

Have they amassed driving records as impressive as their old man has?
Oh, no. Between the 3 of them, they probably don't have 3 or 4 tickets. Then again, they don't drive near the miles I did either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Haha, those little victories are great. Even for generally law-abiding people, it is so much fun to defy the rules sometimes and get away with it.
Especially so when "the rules" are about revenue generation rather than actual safety.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, no. Between the 3 of them, they probably don't have 3 or 4 tickets. Then again, they don't drive near the miles I did either.
Do they know they're up against one of the all-time greats when they dismiss your speeding prowess so lightly? Youth.....

Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
The last 2 speeding tickets I got were those you get in the mail when you go 5-10 MPH above the posted limit, and a stupid camera takes a picture of you and your license plate(s). Those cameras were on our freeways up until I believe the begining of 2009. They were an idea of the former governor of Arizona (Janet Napoleon-tano) who is now a member of the Obama administration, and is the head of the Homeland Security department. Both tickets were for going slightly above the speed limit (5 to 7 MPH) Thankfully, those cameras were removed when governor Jan Brewer took office.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
There were two speeding tickets that I remember because I got them both on the same day, within less than hour time-span. My girlfriend at the time and I were going to Pinetop, Arizona, in the White Mountains. This was in October of 1982, I had a 1979 Camaro Z-28 back then. I remember going on a down hill grade just before entering the town of Payson, Arizona, and somehow, a Highway partrol officer caught me and pulled me over. I think I was only going about 10 MPH above the speed limit.

Less than an hour later, we were eastbound on Highway 260, east of Payson, and I was only going not more than 5 MPH above the limit, when I saw a highway patrol car going in the opposite direction. I looked in the rear view mirror right after the HP car went past us, and I saw the brake lights come on, and I remember thinking, ah gee I hope he's not going to pull me over. Sure enough, he turned around and pulled me over!

Now, here's the funny part, I told my girlfriend something like, I've had enough speeding tickets today, why don't you drive? LOL.. she drove about 5-15 MPH above the limit and nobody bothered her!

I do remember in some areas, law enforcement officers can pull you over just because you're driving a "muscle car", even if you're only going 5 MPH above the speed limit.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Do they know they're up against one of the all-time greats when they dismiss your speeding prowess so lightly? Youth.....

They know, but probably don't fully understand.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
What do you mean? As long as you survive them, the young and stupid days are the best, man.....
True. Having the excuse to do stupid things is the best part about being young. Without that, you're just broke and lacking wisdom.

Those were the good old days also because you could cruise the freeways at 80 all day without raising too much attention. Nowadays, setting the cruise control at 75 makes you look like Nascar Billy Bob compared to the other drivers on the road.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
True. Having the excuse to do stupid things is the best part about being young. Without that, you're just broke and lacking wisdom.

Those were the good old days also because you could cruise the freeways at 80 all day without raising too much attention. Nowadays, setting the cruise control at 75 makes you look like Nascar Billy Bob compared to the other drivers on the road.
Is that really true out in California? People have slowed down on the freeways, even if not impeded by traffic? That sucks. I wish we had the lane discipline they have in Europe, because I hate slowpokes blocking the left lane when traffic isn't heavy. I love to get in the far left lane and BOOK when conditions allow it.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Is that really true out in California? People have slowed down on the freeways, even if not impeded by traffic? That sucks. I wish we had the lane discipline they have in Europe, because I hate slowpokes blocking the left lane when traffic isn't heavy. I love to get in the far left lane and BOOK when conditions allow it.
As far as I've noticed, yeah But part of that may be not wanting to stick out in traffic so much, whereas before I really didn't give a s#!t.

But you should've seen what I had to go through earlier this week when I had to drive out into the desert for job training. Traffic was moving at about 80, and all of a sudden, brake lights light up on all the cars ahead. But they keep moving at around 60. About 3/4 mile down the road, I pass by a cop car in the median, with 2 cops inside running radar. What a travesty I guess now that they've run out of Occupy losers to harass downtown, it's back to looking for a normal person's day to ruin.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
As far as I've noticed, yeah But part of that may be not wanting to stick out in traffic so much, whereas before I really didn't give a s#!t.

But you should've seen what I had to go through earlier this week when I had to drive out into the desert for job training. Traffic was moving at about 80, and all of a sudden, brake lights light up on all the cars ahead. But they keep moving at around 60. About 3/4 mile down the road, I pass by a cop car in the median, with 2 cops inside running radar. What a travesty I guess now that they've run out of Occupy losers to harass downtown, it's back to looking for a normal person's day to ruin.
You bring up an interesting point -- the extent to which the behavior of other drivers can save you from a ticket.

I've gotten my tickets mostly when I've been the only car within sight, so I had no other drivers to warn me that a cop was ahead. When there are cars ahead of me, even in light traffic, I always seem to get enough warning, based upon the other drivers' behavior, to slow down in time to avoid getting busted.

It's coming up on 13 years since my last ticket, by far the longest I've ever gone without one. It's hard to believe and sort of pathetic at the same time. I'm embarrassed to be thought of as one of those careful, law-abiding drivers. I always considered speeding tickets a badge of honor, and I wouldn't mind having one or two on my record to show that I know how to punch that accelerator...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive