Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

Here’s something you’ll never hear.

Every speeding ticket I’ve ever got, I earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
my macro point was that there is redress against police abuses.
the fact that we need legal redress against police abuses is telling.

Much of the "just obey the law and you'll be alright" people have obviously never in their lives been accused or been punished for something they didn't do. While you may think that "Oh it's just a speeding ticket" think about this... it's often the same police force that has put innocent people behind bars. We even have innocent people sentenced to death on the word of officers. They are the law, so by definition should be held to a higher standard and not lie, cover up, manipulate, etc people in the name of the law, especially for the sake of revenue generation or "performance indexes" to keep their jobs. And I would certainly rather they stop doing this instead of innocent citizens needing legal redress against their actions.

Yes, there are great cops out there. Good and bad just like every profession, but professions that hold others' lives in the balance need to be held to a higher standard than what we see from so many officers.

Yes, people make mistakes. Mistakes are not lying or intentionally covering their asses for a simple mistake at the expense of the citizen. Don't get mad at me, officer, when I point out that the sign you misread is what it actually is and that I'm not in the wrong. And don't make up somthing else to cover up the fact that the thing you pulled me over for you can't cite me for.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You guys are making some good points and I have to agree that many laws should not be in force. Sure we have plenty of laws in California that were created because someone wanted to protect all of us people in the state that would make a point to get hurt without them. LOL Maybe they spend too much time in Sacramento thinking of ways to keep us safe. I don't know. Still a law is a law. If you want to change the law there are ways to do just that. Disobedience to a law is not a way to fight that law. We live in a civil society where the law is in place for a reason. Maybe that reason is that some legislature decided it was the right thing to do. Maybe someone said we can make money on this because a large percentage of the people won't follow this bogus law anyway. That doesn't change the fact that a law is in place, bogus or not. As citizens it is our responsibility to follow the law or accept the consequence when we don't. The other option is work on a plan to change the law.
You mean Rosa should have just sat in the back of the bus and tried to have the laws changed the right way???

Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
You must be OP's friend. Did you guys take the same driver's ed class?
No I am lucky in that I received my driving education in a nation that doesn't hand out licenses like candy....

Which is irrelevant to the fact of what I initially wrote.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
the fact that we need legal redress against police abuses is telling.

Much of the "just obey the law and you'll be alright" people have obviously never in their lives been accused or been punished for something they didn't do. While you may think that "Oh it's just a speeding ticket" think about this... it's often the same police force that has put innocent people behind bars. We even have innocent people sentenced to death on the word of officers. They are the law, so by definition should be held to a higher standard and not lie, cover up, manipulate, etc people in the name of the law, especially for the sake of revenue generation or "performance indexes" to keep their jobs. And I would certainly rather they stop doing this instead of innocent citizens needing legal redress against their actions.

Yes, there are great cops out there. Good and bad just like every profession, but professions that hold others' lives in the balance need to be held to a higher standard than what we see from so many officers.

Yes, people make mistakes. Mistakes are not lying or intentionally covering their asses for a simple mistake at the expense of the citizen. Don't get mad at me, officer, when I point out that the sign you misread is what it actually is and that I'm not in the wrong. And don't make up somthing else to cover up the fact that the thing you pulled me over for you can't cite me for.
Yes, it's a very simple concept that many simply cannot seem to understand. We all have to band together to stop this scourge...law enforcement at ALL levels & citizens alike.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No I am lucky in that I received my driving education in a nation that doesn't hand out licenses like candy....

Which is irrelevant to the fact of what I initially wrote.
I am very curious to know which nation that might be. Texas DMV in San Antonio & Austin really do hand them out like candy. My friend who was an international student at the time was surprised by how easy it was. And without bribes, as well, but that's another matter.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
We all have to band together to stop this scourge...law enforcement at ALL levels & citizens alike.
I look forward to seeing video of you and a few friends engaged in the new Occupy Police Headquarters movement.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
I was just curious if any drivers here have received speeding tickets while driving in snowstorms? I know that sometimes in heavy snow, you can get a citation just for going the SPEED LIMIT under the BS cite "too fast for conditions". Ha! This, despite the revenue generator not knowing the skill level of the driver in snow nor the capabilities of the vehicle or the type of tires being used.

Have you guys ever gotten speeding citations in a snowstorm? How fast were you going? What happened?
Is everything about "revenue generation" with you?

Nobody just gets pulled over and cited for driving too fast for conditions. It's an offense cited pursuant to some incident such an accident, sliding into a ditch, et cetera, where driving conditions -- and your failure to adjust to them (aka "driving too fast for conditions") -- caused the incident in question.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I am very curious to know which nation that might be. Texas DMV in San Antonio & Austin really do hand them out like candy. My friend who was an international student at the time was surprised by how easy it was. And without bribes, as well, but that's another matter.
Australia.
You actually have to know the rules and pass a stringent test.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is everything about "revenue generation" with you?

Nobody just gets pulled over and cited for driving too fast for conditions. It's an offense cited pursuant to some incident such an accident, sliding into a ditch, et cetera, where driving conditions -- and your failure to adjust to them (aka "driving too fast for conditions") -- caused the incident in question.
It is a way to assign blame in other words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive