Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM

89 posts, read 409,748 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I bought an 07 Nissan Altima 3 days ago. Last night the oil/filter maintenance light came on and took it back to the dealership today. I was told it came on as a reminder and that the oil change had already been done (and that's probably true, the little sticker on the window shows next oil change is in 3k miles and that it was serviced at that dealership). I had it reset and drove off and light did not come on again in the ~20 miles that I drove today. My question is: Is it likely the light is programmed to come on every x number of miles, even though the oil change has been done?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
Some cars are like that (set for ever 3k miles). I had a truck like that once but can't remember which one it was.

My Suburban was different. It measured engine rotations and heat cycles and stuff like that to come to a conclusion about whether or not you should change your oil. There was only one time I can recall that it kicked on before 3k miles. If it didn't kick on by 3k miles I'd change the oil anyway and reset the indicator. Better safe than sorry.

The procedure for resetting the indicator is in the vehicle manual. If I were you I wouldn't trust the dealer and just go get the oil changed. If you have it done at a shop they usually know how to reset the light. Most of the time the procedure is something like turn the key on and step on the gas pedal 3 times.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM

373 posts, read 710,105 times
Yes the car is programed to let you know and make you think you need to take it to the dealer....They make money this way. I am more concerned about the little "black box" the cars have that record your complete driving data AND WHEN AND WHERE YOU GO... They dont talk about this when you buy a car do they?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,170,887 times
drjones96 has it. If your car is like mine and my wife's (a Toyota and a Honda), the oil change indicator only goes by the odometer. It sounds like the tech who did the change accidentally forgot to reset it. No big deal.

Mike

Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
Hello,
I bought an 07 Nissan Altima 3 days ago. Last night the oil/filter maintenance light came on and took it back to the dealership today. I was told it came on as a reminder and that the oil change had already been done (and that's probably true, the little sticker on the window shows next oil change is in 3k miles and that it was serviced at that dealership). I had it reset and drove off and light did not come on again in the ~20 miles that I drove today. My question is: Is it likely the light is programmed to come on every x number of miles, even though the oil change has been done?
Hmmmm.....sound like a load of horse manure to me.

Me thinks you better have another mechanic check this out before you burn the engine up.

Damn, some dealers can be such liars!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,869,933 times
jones and whiteboy got it.

The light couldn't be reset if it hadn't came on yet. It reached the 3k mark since the last reset 3 days after you bought the car.

This is from Ford. They're all basically the same.

When should I change my oil?
Many 2011 model year Ford vehicles are equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM). The IOLM uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. The IOLM will indicate when the oil change service interval should be completed by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the message center.
The system requires you to reset the IOLM after an oil change. Missing a “reset” at an oil change will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Hmmmm.....sound like a load of horse manure to me.

Me thinks you better have another mechanic check this out before you burn the engine up.

Damn, some dealers can be such liars!
IF there is sufficient oil in the car, how can you burn the engine up? Do the Jiffy Lube oil fairys visit after 3K miles and cast a spell to destroy the engine for those that go longer? I know oil breaks down and gunk can become an issue, but burn the engine up?!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
drjones96 has it. If your car is like mine and my wife's (a Toyota and a Honda), the oil change indicator only goes by the odometer. It sounds like the tech who did the change accidentally forgot to reset it. No big deal.

Mike
Honda maintenance minders are not driven just by the odometer. The oil life indicator (% of oil life) considers temperature, length of drive, and elapsed time/distance.

I don't know about Toyotas.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
IF there is sufficient oil in the car, how can you burn the engine up? Do the Jiffy Lube oil fairys visit after 3K miles and cast a spell to destroy the engine for those that go longer? I know oil breaks down and gunk can become an issue, but burn the engine up?!
Yup, once oil becomes "gunk" it won't flow through the filter. Same as no oil in the crankcase.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Honda maintenance minders are not driven just by the odometer. The oil life indicator (% of oil life) considers temperature, length of drive, and elapsed time/distance.

I don't know about Toyotas.
BMW have for a long time had an oil change and maintenance minder that looks at coolant temp, time spent above/below a certain RPM (varies with model) and other parameters that I don't recall off the top of my head, and it asks for "Inspection I" or "Inspection II" service respectively based on how you have been driving. Probably the Honda system is similar.

These are OK, but it's important to use the oils and fluids specified by the OEM if you want to use these service intervals, which are on the long side.

Keep in mind too they don't consider things like a dusty environment, that could mean a shorter OCI would be prudent.

Very few modern cars require a 3K mile OCI - although without knowing more about how you drive the car, and where, and what oil/filter you are using, I can't comment intellegently on an OCI for your car.

Take a look in the owner's manual, you should find a recommendation for "normal" and "severe" service OCI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive