Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You simply do not have a clue. I have never read anything so embarrassing by an adult. Economics 101 would be a good place for you to start. Unless, that is, the communists take over this country. Rails are dead. A technology of the crowded masses of high rise housing and huge factory and massive office work places. No public transportation is ever going to serve the America of the future with fast food stops and soccer practice and pilates and the gym. You can wish for a return to 1930, but it is gone forever. No one is going back to those days.
Very true. America is built for FREIGHT rail...not passenger rail. Amtrak is, and has been, subsidized by Uncle Sam. Take that money away, and Amtrak will sink faster than the Titanic. Same with all the commuter rail systems. And subways. The freight companies would survive, and could *possibly* begin passenger service again, but it would be expensive. Almost prohibitively expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Very true. America is built for FREIGHT rail...not passenger rail. Amtrak is, and has been, subsidized by Uncle Sam. Take that money away, and Amtrak will sink faster than the Titanic. Same with all the commuter rail systems. And subways. The freight companies would survive, and could *possibly* begin passenger service again, but it would be expensive. Almost prohibitively expensive.
Small efficient cars will rule the future. Each one sitting quietly and cost free waiting patiently for the next transportation task. Not an 800,000 pound locomotive with a dozen union slackers on board rumbling up and down the rails all day waiting for some rush hour passengers. Its just silly to even think so.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Yes, but the Caddys and Rincolns are made of tin foil and plastic.

A 1990 Cadillac weighs about 500 lb less than the 1990 560SEL MB and is about a foot shorter and 2000 pounds less than the K2500 Burb (which is also made of tin foil and plastic, just more of it).
I don't see what a 1990 Cadillac has to do with the size of a 1990 Mercedes. A 1990 Cadillac Brougham weighed 4,300-4,500 lbs; I don't think a '90 Mercedes 560SE weighs 500 lbs more than that.

"Tin and plastic?" I think that description would more fit cars like a 1990 Geo, Suzuki or Hyundai (if those was being built then). Or a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, etc.

To see some truly humongous cars, just look below:

Going back to the subject of this thread (fuel prices), the two cars shown are driven only about once every 2 weeks, and usually locally. And sometimes I park the '69 Cadillac on the side of the driveway (under a car cover) for a few months. In fact, that's where it is right now. So (fortunately) the higher gas prices don't affect me too much.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Small efficient cars will rule the future. Each one sitting quietly and cost free waiting patiently for the next transportation task.....
Mine have served me well for 35+ yrs ... and always ready for that next task (over 1000 miles in last 3 days running 'errands'), but not EMPTY yet 1250 mile range / tank.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-caddy-rf.html

50mpg since 1976, No Dinosaurs (or OPEC) required

Not my Suburban in Background... Alaska friend, it still got 20+mpg empty, and 12-15 towing a pretty big 3axle Airstream (old and heavy).

My Cummins 1T 4x4 gets 20 mpg and I have hauled up to 30,000# with it. For heavier loads there is the Kenworth (6 mpg) or MACK (8-10mpg).

Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
You simply do not have a clue. I have never read anything so embarrassing by an adult. Economics 101 would be a good place for you to start. Unless, that is, the communists take over this country. Rails are dead. A technology of the crowded masses of high rise housing and huge factory and massive office work places. No public transportation is ever going to serve the America of the future with fast food stops and soccer practice and pilates and the gym. You can wish for a return to 1930, but it is gone forever. No one is going back to those days.
Listen, Buddy, I was educated and trained in economic geography and transportation logistics. You are the one that can't see what is coming in the future. You and tens of millions of other brainwashed, automobile-addicted people in this country. That is why the transition to a workable transportation system is going to be brutal, ugly, and destructive to the very fiber of this nation. I love cars and driving as much as anyone does, but one has to be a complete economic idiot to not understand that our current highway-centered transportation system can not survive what lies ahead in any more than a shadow of its former self.

This part of what you said is absolutely true:

Quote:
No public transportation is ever going to serve the America of the future with fast food stops and soccer practice and pilates and the gym.
That is why suburbia as we know it is going to die an inglorious death, with tens of millions of people whose entire life's capital invested in it squandered. People don't yet recognize it for what it is, but the mortgage meltdown and popping of the real estate bubble in this country is actually the beginning salvos in that process.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
....That is why suburbia as we know it is going to die an inglorious death, ....
I would agree there will be some significant adjustment ahead. UNFORTUNATELY, USA is not ready to lead this, as our lack of foresight is incredibly lacking. I recognized this in 1980's when living in Singapore and realizing how NICE public transit could be with the correct planning (and incentive... tax for driving during rush hour, or in central business district + $100k for the 'privilege' of getting a car registration)

Too bad the USA tore up all the right-of-ways from earlier transit systems, when
we are FORCED back to transit, it is gonna be VERY expensive.

I lothe Light Rail... (mixing street level transit with traffic / pedestrians), lots of disruption and dangerous and SLOW, the opposite of a 'practical solution'

Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Sadly it appears that your eating the words you wrote.
I wish it wasn't so but it appears that 5.00 a gallon in some parts of the country has already been exceeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Anyone else hate themselves for falling for these "5 dollar a gallon gas this year" threads every year?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
It's not uncommon to see gas prices in LA vary by as much as $.40-$.50 per gallon at two stations 10 minutes apart due to the 'zone pricing' method which the oilc ompanies use.

The #1 reason why gasoline in California is always higher than it is in Phoenix, Albuquerque, Dallas, OKC or anywhere across the desert southwest can be laid solely at the feet of the environmentalists who put a halt to refinery construction in California thirty years ago, and our current governor, as fervent of an environmentalist as has ever existed, with apoligies to Al Gore.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:07 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I saw a program on tv (pbs) with rick steves. In europe (esp italy) the people drive tiny cars & scooters. My car would look like a bus to them. Gas is holding steady here at $4.30 gal. My car gets 12 mpg so its going to cost me a arm & a leg to drive to san bernardino & loma linda next week (50 miles round trip). I used to get at least 15 mpg but not anymore. I drive a true gas guzzler.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Listen, Buddy, I was educated and trained in economic geography and transportation logistics.
Too much book learning, too many feasability studies, too many statistical reports and too much actuarial data. Its time for you to come out into the real world and look around you. You need to read socialogical books and walk around real people (so says my PhD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive