Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 PM

25,728 posts, read 16,348,964 times

Advertisements

As a fan of German cars, I was surprised yesterday to see a BMW followed by a new Buick LaCrosse I believe.

Anyway--the BMW was wider and more Buick-like than the Buick! I have to say, the Buick was a cooler looking car.

What in the name of Oldsmobile has BMW done to their cars? The BMW looked like a big boat compared to the Buick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,867,668 times
Which BMW? If you're talking about driving dynamics, then you have to be kidding me. But yes they've gotten a bit bigger although you'd have to tell us which MY of the lacrosse and the BMW in question.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,312,214 times
There are some ugly BMW models (imho) like X1, 5 GT, new 1-Series but most other BMW look like they used to look.

http://www.chester.my/wp-content/gal...rdbmwf10m5.jpg

Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,115,451 times
Yeah, the new BMWs do nothing for me aesthetically, except for the M3 of course. Buicks are looking good, but they're still driving the wrong wheels. I like that they have a 6-speed option in the Regal, though. It's a huge step in the right direction IMO.

Mike

Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,386,954 times
Has anyone seen the BMW 1 series? I haven't seen one on the road yet. Basically it's the size of old 3 series cars. Favorite quote about BMW is "one sausage, three sizes". When I see a Toyota, I think appliance. When I see a BMW, I think machine. No real personality to it's styling. Buick has recently been giving their sedans some great styling. They seem to have Acura in the crosshairs, FWD. near luxury sedans.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,477,989 times
Driving them back-to-back you'll see the difference. In terms of styling, it's all subjective. I haven't been overly thrilled with BMW styling since the E46 cars and Buick has really been stepping it up lately in the styling department.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,794,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Sexiest car I've seen come out in a while. One day... one day...

The 1s are still smaller than the old 3s but the 3s/5s are definitely bigger for god-knows-why.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,955,171 times
I really like the design of the new Buick lineup...everything from the Verano through the LaCrosse. I don't think they look much like BMW's, but while I love BMW performance and driving dynamics i'm a little less flattered by their styling. I really liked the idea of the Buick Regal 2.0T with a manual for my next car, but then learned it offered only marginally more interior volume than my current vehicle...I also read several sources who HATED the manual transmission, but that's something I'd have to test for myself. The LaCrosse was high on the list also, but with a growing family, having ~12 cubic feet of trunk space really wasn't going to make me happy...and it too is smaller than my current vehicle which is a small compact sedan....Anyway, those two things essentially have pushed me towards looking towards a different car...No biggie, but I do think this current arrangement of Buicks is significantly better than many of their previous offerings...at least from the last 20 years.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 PM

25,728 posts, read 16,348,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Which BMW? If you're talking about driving dynamics, then you have to be kidding me. But yes they've gotten a bit bigger although you'd have to tell us which MY of the lacrosse and the BMW in question.

I just looked through the BMW site and it must have been the new 7 series. Much wider than I am accustomed to seeing BMW's.

I'm sure it's a wonderful car but man, I'll bet it's equal in size to a Crown Victoria or full size caddy.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,312,214 times
Hmm, you pick the largest and most expensive BMW and complain that it is too large? Why not comparing a 5-Series or 3-Series to the Lacrosse, this would be a better fit.

In general, there are two versions of the 7er, S-Class or A8 version, one is the extended version, the 7L is about 205 in. It is a luxury car with lots of space, and lots of power (in the 750li and 760li version) and a very good handling. But it is not a sport sedan at all....

Quote:
No biggie, but I do think this current arrangement of Buicks is significantly better than many of their previous offerings...at least from the last 20 years.
True, I like the Regal and Lacrosse, the handling is okay but not really comparable to BMW. It's a different league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive