Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Older folks like to be able to ride in comfort and not be worn out taking a few trips over 100 miles. I am an older person and even though I would love to have a strong mustang to have some fun in when it comes to taking the wife to florida (500 miles one way) I prefer a big car .
I have a 95 yr old friend who has a Mustang Cobra (and a 74 Cadillac), But he prefers to drive the Cobra while he is still young and feels he needs a "Babe-Magnet" (His wife passed away 18 yrs ago and told him to go buy it, they picked it out the week she died).

Comfy is why I see old folks using 4 wheeled couches.
Just enjoying their retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have a 95 yr old friend who has a Mustang Cobra (and a 74 Cadillac), But he prefers to drive the Cobra while he is still young and feels he needs a "Babe-Magnet" (His wife passed away 18 yrs ago and told him to go buy it, they picked it out the week she died).

Comfy is why I see old folks using 4 wheeled couches.
Just enjoying their retirement
Yes, I am not old but I much prefer driving a car with a big, comfortable seat (couch) than one that has the feel and comfort of a park bench. Or a thinly-padded and cramped seat.

A '74 Cadillac? Sounds good. What model? Fleetwood Brougham? Sedan de Ville? Coupe de Ville?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
It is too bad all of the data shows your emotions are completely wrong.

Yeah, and anyway all the bolts rattling around, knobs and wheels falling off and the steam coming out from under that hood of that piece of trash 1978 Grand Marquis is a sign of some great really great build quality, ha! The 1975 Old's 98 had that great feature of the doors just falling off. ha!
This is simply beyond stupid.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Don't feel sorry for them, because vehicles like the 2013 Honda Civic, other than space, is vastly superior in every way to the pieces of junk produced by Ford, GM and Chrysler during the 1970's.
Again, an incredibly stupid and ignorant comment. Come back when you've graduated from high school.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
[quote=Fleet;31772482]Yes, I am not old but I much prefer driving a car with a big, comfortable seat (couch) than one that has the feel and comfort of a park bench. Or a thinly-padded and cramped seat.
/QUOTE]

Well I am old and I do not prefer the type of seats you do.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:34 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
[quote=motormaker;31773152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, I am not old but I much prefer driving a car with a big, comfortable seat (couch) than one that has the feel and comfort of a park bench. Or a thinly-padded and cramped seat.
/QUOTE]

Well I am old and I do not prefer the type of seats you do.
There are always exceptions.

One of my Cadillac friends is 82 years old. He went for a ride in a friend's 2010 Camaro and complained about the interior. No so much the seats, but how hard it was to get in the car. He couldn't wait to get back into his '66 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and '79 Lincoln Mark V!

Last edited by Fleet; 10-11-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
It is too bad all of the data shows your emotions are completely wrong.

Yeah, and anyway all the bolts rattling around, knobs and wheels falling off and the steam coming out from under that hood of that piece of trash 1978 Grand Marquis is a sign of some great really great build quality, ha! The 1975 Old's 98 had that great feature of the doors just falling off. ha!

A 2013 Kia Forte is vastly superior to anything produced by the Big 3 during the last 50 years, buddy, you'll need to realize that Detroit builds junk cars because their customers don't care about quality and will buy their junk cars anyway because they are driven by emotions.
WOW!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
A 2013 Kia Forte is vastly superior to anything produced by the Big 3 during the last 50 years, buddy, you'll need to realize that Detroit builds junk cars because their customers don't care about quality and will buy their junk cars anyway because they are driven by emotions.
1) Not only Kia Forte, just every car including those built by the American car manufacturers.
2) The current cars built by Detroit (a wrong term since they are built in many places) are better then others. Audi, Daimler, BMW are some with lower reliability then "Detroit", yet extremely expensive. People however, buy them like crazy. As a matter of fact, I remember Land and Range Rover having the worst reliability of any car company surveyed, but I see them on the roads by the thousands (at $85K !).
3) Emotions? absolutely. But, I guess its the case with every car company in the world that is 100 years old.
4) A few weeks ago, I went to a classic car show. Most cars were from the 50s -60s. After a few minutes I got it!
It was all about freedom. Really. They built them as big as they could, with large engines and total disregards to gas prices or cramped parking. Those days were the happiest. At a time when Europeans drove beetles and Fiat 500s, in America you could buy what you dreamed of. Muscle cars, tucks, Harleys and Indians. What cars did Japan turn out in the 50s? Did you see any ?

Last edited by oberon_1; 10-11-2013 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Lol! I remember complaining about my grandfather who became so deaf he had to "feel" the V8 hemi in his 1955 DeSoto racing in the morning. He could neither hear the motor racing or us complaining. If it didn't hurt so much I would have to say, sometimes age is merciful.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:01 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Old people with big cars? What is a pick up truck or an SUV? An enlarged golf cart?
Half the people on my street, all under 45 years old have an SUV in the driveway. [that won't fit in the garage.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive