Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:52 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times

Advertisements

Old folks in California have all mostly turned to much smaller cars in recent years as the vehicle of choice for transportation from what I can tell.

Mainly because their isn't any true full size cars being built anymore. They have all gone with the Avalon's, Camry's, Mercedes C-Class, and even tiny hybrids to suite their needs.

So the notion that the majority of old people like big cars isn't the case like it was just 10-15 years ago.

I believe a lot has to do with fuel economy. People are more conscious about the environment as well, so they give up the extra comfort that one might get from a Town Car, Deville, or an old floaty Buick, for something that handles better and gets great gas mileage.

Cadillac is finally going to build a full size Caddy ( Not nearly as huge as the 60's-70's era) in a few years, maybe this will be the new vehicle of choice for not only the elderly, but the youngins too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 05:13 AM

194 posts, read 300,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What "joke" of a turning radius?

Compare my 1995 Lincoln Town Car with my brother's 2008 Acura TL

--------------------------- Lincoln--------- Acura
--------------------------- Town Car------ TL

Wheelbase----------------- 117.4"--------- 107.9"
Overall length-------------- 218.9"--------- 189.3"
Overall width--------------- 76.7"---------- 75.4"

Turning circle--------------- 40.0 feet------ 39.7 feet

As for big cars being stressful, assuming you are driving on regular (not real skinny) street, big cars are easy to drive. Especially the older ones. When backing up, the visibility behind my '69 Fleetwood Brougham is much better than my brother's Acura and my Sister-In-Law's '07 Toyota Camry. The fins are visible through the rear window and there is not high-profile trunk to block the view.
I had no idea the a Town Car could have a turning radius so close to an Acura. You sure know a lot of interesting things Fleet

Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
I notice it's older MEN that drive the larger sedans, but rarely the older women at the wheel of the large sedans. When you see elderly women driving, it's usually a mid sized vehicle like a Toyota Camry. Although there are plenty of elderly men also driving the Camrys. I think the larger sedan trend is gradually going away even for the elderly. Toyota Avalon seems to be the most popular larger sedan for elderly that I see, and it's mostly elderly males driving them. 15 years ago most seniors had a large American sedan. This has been replaced by Avalons, Camrys and small SUVs, in that order.

The latest trend with the senior citizens seems to be small SUVs. But these are the seniors that are younger than 75. Lots of 60-75 year olds getting new SUVs, especially Honda CRV and some Hyundais and Kias getting popular with the younger seniors.

Disclaimer - I live in an area with lots and lots of retirees. So it's much easier to spot trends in what they are driving.

They love the gold metallic color most of all. There are more gold Camrys and gold Avalons driven by seniors in my area then there are children riding bikes.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:24 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
I had no idea the a Town Car could have a turning radius so close to an Acura. You sure know a lot of interesting things Fleet
Thanks, Mr. Black. I guess that is what happens from reading about cars for over 35 years!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 PM

243 posts, read 547,492 times
Acura TL has the worst turning radius in its class; even worse than some cars that are larger. Google
"Acura TL turning radius" and the very first result is a message board post titled "Horrible TL Turning Radius".

It turns like the large barges of old. Not at all comparable to most modern sedans.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
Acura TL has the worst turning radius in its class; even worse than some cars that are larger. Google
"Acura TL turning radius" and the very first result is a message board post titled "Horrible TL Turning Radius".

It turns like the large barges of old. Not at all comparable to most modern sedans.

And oddly enough, the turning circle of a 1996 Lincoln Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis is listed as 42.0 feet. That's a dramatic contrast to the 40.0 feet listed for the previous model year. I think somebody flubbed the specs for the '95 Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
I'm 53, so I'm not really old, but I am semi retired. Only read the first and last page, but what about safety? Our daily driver is a 01 F150 Supercab long bed. Next I'm getting the 6 1/2' bed to make it easier to park. I just feel more comfortable in a bigger car. Our Corvette is a different story all together, but I just don't get the tiny foreign job appeal other than fuel mileage. Not to mention they all look alike. If we were to replace out car it would be the Ford Fusion which is really like most of the others mentioned. Right now everything I own is V8 rear wheel drive. If you want to drive a front wheel drive transverse that's your business, but not my cup of tea.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
And oddly enough, the turning circle of a 1996 Lincoln Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis is listed as 42.0 feet. That's a dramatic contrast to the 40.0 feet listed for the previous model year. I think somebody flubbed the specs for the '95 Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.
I have the 1993, 1995 and 1996 Lincoln Town Car brochures. Turning circle for each of those years is 40.0 feet. The 1998 Lincoln Town Car brochure lists turning circle at 42.0 feet.

The edmunds car site lists the '95 at 40.0 feet, too.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I have the 1993, 1995 and 1996 Lincoln Town Car brochures. Turning circle for each of those years is 40.0 feet. The 1998 Lincoln Town Car brochure lists turning circle at 42.0 feet.

The edmunds car site lists the '95 at 40.0 feet, too.
From '96 onward, it was listed as 42 feet. What changed? None of the 3(TC/CV/GM) saw any noticeable change to their structure.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
From '96 onward, it was listed as 42 feet. What changed? None of the 3(TC/CV/GM) saw any noticeable change to their structure.
The '96 Town Car had a 40.0 foot turning circle, according to the brochure.

I don't know why it changed to 42.0 feet in '98. Maybe some changes in the steering and/or front suspension?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive