Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to offend anyone, and there may be no real answer to this, but allow me to vent. Why do old people tend to drive the biggest cars?

You've seen them, waiting to pull out with a foot of the hood hanging out in the right of way, or spending so much of their precious time left in this world trying to get in or out of a parking spot. I mean, when my eyes start to loose depth perception and my reflexes and hand/eye coordination start to fail me, the first thing I'll do is get rid of my Cadillac DTS or my Crown Vic and get something with a better turning radius than the U.S.S. Wisconsin.

I'm just sayin'....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Many of the people you call older, grew up with larger vehicles as kids, and young adults.
They do not feel comfortable in something smaller.
Bob.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Because that's what they were raised driving- big, American vehicles. A lot of older folks like the spaciousness of large cars and the ease of getting in/out as well. I've seen a trend of many older folks who used to drive large cars now turning to crossover SUV's because many of the land yachts are no longer being produced. The Cadillac SRX and Lexus RX are pretty popular with the snowbirds in the Phoenix area; they offer the comfort and room of a large car while having greater visibility and a more upright driving position.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
They have to... No other answer is needed...
How the **** do you expect thm to get to the doctors???

Go to the political forum and argue about medicade and social security..

Dont ***** about old people driving...unless you give them an option NOT TO...

Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
big cars are comfortable, fairly easy to drive, and easier ti get into than smaller cars are. some of us older folks just dont fold up like we used to when we were younger, something you will learn as you get older.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Because that's what they were raised driving- big, American vehicles. A lot of older folks like the spaciousness of large cars and the ease of getting in/out as well. I've seen a trend of many older folks who used to drive large cars now turning to crossover SUV's because many of the land yachts are no longer being produced. The Cadillac SRX and Lexus RX are pretty popular with the snowbirds in the Phoenix area; they offer the comfort and room of a large car while having greater visibility and a more upright driving position.
And crossover SUV's make sense. Their height makes getting in and out easier. It's more of a lateral slide in as opposed to bending down into a car.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Because when they were raising you, and putting you through college they couldn't afford their dream car.....now they can.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
big cars are comfortable, fairly easy to drive, and easier ti get into than smaller cars are. some of us older folks just dont fold up like we used to when we were younger, something you will learn as you get older.
They aren't any easier to drive, though. That's my point. The sight lines are terrible and turning radius is a joke. And what do you need a big V8 for if you're never going to go over 60 mph? I'm not recommending you get a Ford Fiesta, but mid-sized cars have become very spacious and offer better ergonomics.

It seems like a big car could be stressful in a lot of situations, and older hearts don't need any more stress.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Because when they were raising you, and putting you through college they couldn't afford their dream car.....now they can.
That's probably the best answer. +1

(though, my parents didn't put me through college, my Uncle Sam did)

Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
That's probably the best answer. +1

(though, my parents didn't put me through college, my Uncle Sam did)
AKA, the American taxpayers; including, presumeably, your parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive