Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
The Logic is that in rain, oncoming cars are harder to see unless their lights are on.

So if everybody has their lights on when it's raining, it reduces the chances of accidents.
If a law is necessary concerning lights use - then the criteria should be visibility. Not wiper use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If a law is necessary concerning lights use - then the criteria should be visibility. Not wiper use.
This is the NJ law:

Quote:
"When lighted lamps are required" means at any time from a half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise; whenever rain, mist, snow or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture requires the use of windshield wipers by motorists; and during any time when, due to smoke, fog, unfavorable atmospheric conditions or for any other cause there is not sufficient light to render clearly discernible persons and vehicles on the highway at a distance of 500 feet ahead.
So, the actual wording is not really tied to wipers themselves, that is more or less just a slogan, "Wipers On, Lights On". Lights are required anytime there is reduced visibility or any falling precipitation.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,430 times
Minnesota law is similar; it requires lights in periods of "reduced visibility," so they tell us to turn on our lights if we need our wipers, and we'll be fine. Our law requires tail lights to be illuminated, too, so most DRLs don't comply. There are no signs telling visitors this. The tail light part (or the headlight part, for that matter) isn't enforced very aggressively, unless it's actually dark out.

If in doubt, and for safety, turn the lights on if you need your wipers, no matter where you're driving.

As far as the rear wiper goes, I know of no law requiring its use. Don't use it if you don't need it, I say. I almost never turn mine on, but it does wipe once or twice automatically if I put it in reverse while the front wipers are on.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 01-12-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 04:19 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,674,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think the Law in Florida states something like:

Too many idiots say, "I can see just fine. I don't need my lights on."

If you need to use your wipers, probably all them other folks out there do, too.
And if their using their wipers, it is probably harder to see your car if you don't have your lights on.

And if that truck that is fixing to pass the slow car coming your way can't see you, he will pull into your lane to pass and run your sorry ^ss over.

So if you got your wipers on, turn on your dadburn headlights so the troopers can sit at the Dunkin Donuts and stay out of the rain.
They'll thank you for it, some day.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Wiper on-Lights on in CA. Have not seen it enforced as of to date.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Wiper on-Lights on in CA. Have not seen it enforced as of to date.
Yup, been a CA law since 2005. I have never seen it enforced as well. But I bet if you get in a accident in the rain the officer will be asking everyone if they seen headlights on.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,196 times
The "lights on when wipers are in use" laws are State by State, here in Ohio it is the law which about half follow.

The reason isn't for YOU to see better but for OTHERS to see you.

Regardless of the weather conditions, you will always see a vehicle with their headlights on before one without, this is amplified in adverse weather conditions.

I don't see how anyone can routinely forget to turn their headlights off, do they not hear the BEEP BEEP BEEP when they turn off the vehicle and open the door?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Given that the OP is in New York, anybody know what the law is there?

Who knows if the law requires headlights on when you use the rear wiper - that would not make much sense, but there it is.

It is stupid and impractical to try to write law after law trying to require people to use some common sense.

BTW Subaru cars are like motorcycles - turn the ignition off, that turns the lights off as well. You can't turn the headlights on without at least turning the key to "run". There is a separate switch to turn the parking lights on independent of the ignition.

My 87 Camry has an oddball relay that will kill the headlights and parking lights if you have them on, then turn the car off, then open the driver's door.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
NJ is wipers on lights on. However I use Rain-X so there is a loop hole in the law.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,674,960 times
The law's not perfect.
No law that tries to cover common sense ever will be.
Just like the law that requires you to turn your lights on when it gets dark.
There are people out there who think as long as they can see where they are going, they don't need their lights on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive