Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,547,633 times

Advertisements

does anyone know if it is general traffic law that if your windshield wipers are operating, your lights must be on too? most drivers know that visibility is reduced in the rain(and turn on the lights) but is it an actual law?

also if you have a vehicle that has a rear window wiper does that have to be on if your windshield wipers are operating?

i ask because i drove the new car in it's first storm and turned on the rear wiper just to be safe (even tho i didn't see an actual need as i had no trouble seeing out the back window)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,765,071 times
Varies by state, in Illinois if wipers are on headlights must be on too.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,392,241 times
State law in Louisiana. Not enforced often enough.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,598,945 times
If it's a state law in your state, it will be signposted at intervals along the highway. The first place I ever saw that sign was, I think, Georgia, in the early 90s.

The USA still does not require running lights, so it is possible to drive a car without headlights. So wipers-on-lights-off remains possibly the only decision that is still left up to the discretion of the driver.

My wife drives with lights on quite a lot, and every couple of months I have to jump start her car, because she leaves them on overnight. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't figure out a way to guard against lights being left on in the daytime. I think the powerful battery lobby has blocked carmakers from installing safeguards against leaving the lights on in the daytime. I've tried to train her to keep a clothes pin in the car, and put it on the key when she turns on the lights, as a reminder.

My old 1960 Land Rover was the last car I ever saw with a sensible system. The headlight switch was a ring around the ignition key, so when the key was turned off, the ring got turned along with it and the lights went off. But the ring could then be depressed and turned independently, to turn them back on with the ignition off. Land Rover, it seems, did not think a dead battery in the middle of the Sahara Desert was a very good selling point, so they snubbed their nose at the battery lobby, who tin turn threw their Timbuktu dealer under the bus.

A similar plan, probably unintentional, existed in my '70 Datsun. If the light switch was pulled out, it would bump my knuckle when I turned off the ignition key. An effective reminder.

Of course, there is the space-age way. Digital technology and a superfluous wiring harness to turn the lights off after a timer, so people don't even get into the habit of turning them off, and if you want them on when the engine is off, you simply read the manual and try to figure out how to reprogram a computer in the dark, in your unfamiliar rental car, no two of which are alike (thanks to the miracle of intellectual property laws), and pray that afterwards, you have it properly reset to turn them off automatically again.

Have I covered everything?

Last edited by jtur88; 01-12-2012 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM

44,916 posts, read 59,905,934 times
MD law, also.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,660,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If it's it's a state law in your state, it will be signposted at intervals along the highway. The first place I ever saw that sign was, I think, Georgia, in the early 90s.

The USA still does not require running lights, so it is possible to drive a car without headlights.

My wife drives with lights on quite a lot, and every couple of months I have to jump start her car, because she leaves them on overnight. We can go the moon, but we can't figure out a way to guard against lights being left on in the daytime. I think the powerful battery lobby has blocked carmakers from installing safeguards against leaving the lights on in the daytime. I've tried to train her to keep a clothes pin in the car, and put it on the key when she turns on the lights, as a reminder.

My old 1960 Land Rover was the last car I ever saw with a sensible system. The headlight switch was a ring around the ignition key, so when the key was turned off, the ring got turned along with it and the lights went off. But the ring could then be turned independently, to turn them back on with the ignition off. Land Rover, it seems, did not think a dead battery in the middle of the Sahara Desert was a very good selling point, so they snubbed their nose at the battery lobby.

A similar plan, probably unintentional, existed in my '70 Datsun. If the light switch was pulled out, it would bump my knuckle when I turned off the ignition key. An effective reminder.
Both our cars, 96 Lincoln, and 95 De Ville, have a feature where the lights will turn off after a couple of minutes if the ignition is off.

So that has been around a while.
Many newer cars have an auto feature, which turns lights on when you turn ignition on to start the car, and they turn off after the ignition has been turned off.

As for the OP, Colorado has such a law. as does Florida

Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,404,619 times
Its the law in NC. My previous Tacoma and my corolla both turn the headlights off as soon as the ignition is turned off. As for the rear wiper, no law against having those off when its raining. I never turn my 4Runners rear wiper on simply because it won't go back to its resting spot and if it doesn't go back I cannot open the rear window.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,008,778 times
I think laws linking wiper use to lights use are stupid. I use RainX on my windshields. Even in solid rain I often don't need my wipers at all.

Wipers clear water off the windshield. Lights may or may not be required when wipers are used.

As for the rear - some vehicles with wipers rarely need them because of the air flow over the vehicles. Others have rear wipers that move way too fast and end up running dry most of the time even in rain.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,597,817 times
Some states have the windshield wiper law, in case people lack basic common sense. I have never heard about a rear wiper law, but no law surprises me anymore, no matter how frivolous.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,660,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think laws linking wiper use to lights use are stupid. I use RainX on my windshields. Even in solid rain I often don't need my wipers at all.

Wipers clear water off the windshield. Lights may or may not be required when wipers are used.

As for the rear - some vehicles with wipers rarely need them because of the air flow over the vehicles. Others have rear wipers that move way too fast and end up running dry most of the time even in rain.
The Logic is that in rain, oncoming cars are harder to see unless their lights are on.

So if everybody has their lights on when it's raining, it reduces the chances of accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive