Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,172 times

Advertisements

It's a major improvement over that abomination they have for sale now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Except that's what people are buying.
Not when there is Lincoln or Cadillac badge on them. They just don't. If it isn't a BMW, Audi or Lexus forget about it. Lincoln,,, not a chance.

The problem with copying Japanese and European brands, is that they are copies! I highly doubt buyers of Japanese and European luxury brands are ever going to buy American again no matter what Detroit builds. So forget about them.

Be American. Nobody is really building an AMERICAN luxury car anymore. I think there is far more pent up demand for an American luxury car then people think.

Case in point. My dad, and there are lot of guys like him. He should be buying luxury cars. Does he? No, because NOTHING built today is interesting enough to him, to spend the big bucks. So he doesn't, because today's luxury cars aren't worth spending more money to buy. Just so dull looking.

Its the result of taking a regular car, adding a few things like leather seats, a different nameplate and a price of ten grand more. It's still the the regular car to him, not worthy of paying ten grand more for. Most Lincolns of the last decade barely hide the fact they are "fixed up" Ford's.

Ford and GM need to stop doing that. They really haven't stopped doing that.

Ford needs to spend the money to rehab the brand, or if it can't, end the brand. Stop flogging a once great name.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Is it still a mechanical twin of the Fusion? Yes? Then why buy this car for many thousands of dollars more? Buy a cheaper and better looking Fusion for less money with the same mechanicals. Chrysler 200/Dodge Avenger, Buick Lacrosse and the upcoming Chevrolet Impala, or the Buick Regal and the upcoming Chevrolet Malibu.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I know that MKT is one of ugliest vehicles I have seen in awhile.

For some reason the front of the newer Lincolns reminds me of that old truck in Jeepers Creepers, it just looks creepy.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I didn't think Camry when I first saw it, I thought more Acura TL with the beak shape and the slanted headlights. Still not a good recommendation. Thankfully this is still just a design exercise and not the actual production model. Things are usually a little less "exaggerated" in the production models.

As for the MKZ, I actually like it as a car, but would never buy a new one and that is Lincolns core problem. Lincoln's are HOT as CPO cars where you can pick up a slightly used Lincoln and get a 6 year /100k mile BUMPER-TO-BUMPER warranty. You can then extend that out for a 7th year on the cheap as well. Sitting on a lot, people see a fully loaded Fusion and an even more decked out MKZ sitting side-by-side, the MKZ will cost less and have a better warranty.

My parents actually bought a CPO 2010 MKZ (the 2010 is a significant upgrade over the older ones) about 5 months ago. They have been incredibly happy with the car and I've gotten a bit of seat time in it. While the drivetrain is straight Fusion Sport, the suspension tuning, sound isolation, stereo, interior material quality, etc. is all significantly better. It's actually a car that really could compete with a Lexus ES if people would give it a fair shot. It offers the same level of material quality (you can really smell that Bridge of Weir leather), is the quietest cabin I've ever been in and returns better driving dynamics. Still though, I wouldn't pay the upcharge vs. a Fusion brand new on a lot.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Not when there is Lincoln or Cadillac badge on them. They just don't. If it isn't a BMW, Audi or Lexus forget about it. Lincoln,,, not a chance.

The problem with copying Japanese and European brands, is that they are copies! I highly doubt buyers of Japanese and European luxury brands are ever going to buy American again no matter what Detroit builds. So forget about them.

Be American. Nobody is really building an AMERICAN luxury car anymore. I think there is far more pent up demand for an American luxury car then people think.

Case in point. My dad, and there are lot of guys like him. He should be buying luxury cars. Does he? No, because NOTHING built today is interesting enough to him, to spend the big bucks. So he doesn't, because today's luxury cars aren't worth spending more money to buy. Just so dull looking.

Its the result of taking a regular car, adding a few things like leather seats, a different nameplate and a price of ten grand more. It's still the the regular car to him, not worthy of paying ten grand more for. Most Lincolns of the last decade barely hide the fact they are "fixed up" Ford's.

Ford and GM need to stop doing that. They really haven't stopped doing that.

Ford needs to spend the money to rehab the brand, or if it can't, end the brand. Stop flogging a once great name.
I think Cadillac is going in the right direction and IS building vehicles that directly compete with the European competition. The new ATS is a 3 Series fighter and I have no doubt it'll take some of BMW's business away. The CTS is a prime example, it stole a good chunk of business from the European manufacturers.

I don't think American companies are trying to copy the likes of BMW but rather COMPETE with them. The CTS and upcoming ATS are COMPETITORS but have their own style and flair.

What exactly does your dad want? No luxury cars warrant him spending the "big bucks"? Have you looked at the current CTS-V...Corvette engine with Cadillac comfort and amenities. What more does he need? My mom drives a CTS Coupe and it's a very nice car for the money.

How about the new Chrysler 300C or 300 SRT8? Big, comfortable, fast, gadget-laden, and the pricetag isn't unreasonable. Will the upcoming Cadillac XTS hit the mark? Again, a big car with tons of features and amenities.

If you're dad can't find anything that he likes in this market, he's being unrealistic about his expectations.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Looks like many of the cars on the market today especially, the Hyundai Elantra.
Hyundai Elantra: Safe & Stylish Cars – Most Interior Among Small Cars | Hyundai

You'd think Ford would make a luxury car that stands out from the others.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
So seems most agree Lincoln continues to be lost with styling.....They need to look AMERICAN!!! Caddy figured this out!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 PM

799 posts, read 1,444,986 times
The people that were responsible for this car's design should be demoted or fired. If I owned stock in Ford then I would be angry they are still pumping out ugly cars that no one will buy. Ford should drop Mercury and Lincoln from the family because they just aren't appealing anymore. The Lincoln Town Car is the only car worth keeping.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
The people that were responsible for this car's design should be demoted or fired. If I owned stock in Ford then I would be angry they are still pumping out ugly cars that no one will buy. Ford should drop Mercury and Lincoln from the family because they just aren't appealing anymore. The Lincoln Town Car is the only car worth keeping.
Mercury was killed TWO YEARS AGO.

Lincoln is almost irrelevant. The Town Car is hideous and almost no one under 60 wants one.

No one with more than $50K to spend will choose a Lincoln over a Cadillac or foreign brand.

Lincoln's problem isn't just styling. It is too close to Ford under the cover. It needs to be a desirable car - it should have performance, technology, looks, and quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive