Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A 100k mile warranty is useless if the transmission dies at 105k. Most problems start popping up shortly after 100k.
Very true, but when my Toyota 4Runner transmission went out AT 90,000
miles there was no warranty and it cost $3,200 to fix. When the same car
blew the head gasket at 99,500 miles I was lucky enough to find their "hidden warranty" on it or that would hav ebeen another $1,500. If a Hyundai buyer finds multiple problems during the first 90,000 miles/9 years they can trade it in before the warranty is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Is the 100k warranty powertrain or bumper to bumper?
Powertrain, but that's where the money is.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
Does anyone know how long the average new car buyer keeps their vehicle? I read somewhere that the average age of all non-commercial autos/trucks (new & used) is just over 9 yrs. It may be that most Hyundai/Kia buyers turn their cars over after 5 or 6 yrs anyway and don't really worry if problems creep up afterwards.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Very true, but when my Toyota 4Runner transmission went out AT 90,000
miles there was no warranty and it cost $3,200 to fix. When the same car
blew the head gasket at 99,500 miles I was lucky enough to find their "hidden warranty" on it or that would hav ebeen another $1,500. If a Hyundai buyer finds multiple problems during the first 90,000 miles/9 years they can trade it in before the warranty is up.
Toyota's are known for going well beyond 100k miles with few problems (same can't be said for Hyundai). Sounds like maybe you got a rare dud.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
I don't consider myself an expert on genesis's, just a little I pick up across the net from some import guys I used to hang out Orlando.

I heard once they start putting serious power to the ground the rear suspension points start ripping out of the chassis? Is this true?
Depends on what you call serious power but we've got plenty of guys putting down 350whp+ on dyno's with reliable daily driven vehicles without any issue. I say 350whp because its been proven as a reliable number as far as output goes on the 2.0T without getting into internals. We've got a few guys putting down 390whp+ on stock internals but I'd say they are pushing the very limit of the OEM rods. We also have guys with built internals running 450whp+ without any suspension trouble.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Powertrain, but that's where the money is.

AC, power steering, fuel pump, all can get a bit pricey as well and would **** me off as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Does anyone know how long the average new car buyer keeps their vehicle? I read somewhere that the average age of all non-commercial autos/trucks (new & used) is just over 9 yrs. It may be that most Hyundai/Kia buyers turn their cars over after 5 or 6 yrs anyway and don't really worry if problems creep up afterwards.
So... ****ty resale? Cars stay around longer assuming some dumbass plan like C4C happens. But have you seen the used car market? Its really hot nowadays. People are cutting back, and there are less used cars out there then their used to be.

I honeslty don't want the 2nd most expensive thing I own(other then a house) to be a pile of **** that I have to make repairs not covered by the powertrain warranty on. Unless of course its dirt cheap.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
AC, power steering, fuel pump, all can get a bit pricey as well and would **** me off as well.

So... ****ty resale? Cars stay around longer assuming some dumbass plan like C4C happens. But have you seen the used car market? Its really hot nowadays. People are cutting back, and there are less used cars out there then their used to be.

I honeslty don't want the 2nd most expensive thing I own(other then a house) to be a pile of **** that I have to make repairs not covered by the powertrain warranty on. Unless of course its dirt cheap.
2011 Hyundai Sonata Tops ALG Residual Value Index - autoevolution

Quote:
Hyundai has a new reason to be proud, as its 2011 Sonata GLS with automatic transmission received a 36-month residual value of 54 percent of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) from Automotive Lease Guide (ALG). Sonata had the best residual value, topping important competitors like Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and Chevrolet, or even premium brands such as Lexus, BMW and Mercedes.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
So a barely 3 year old car?

Once again, is it still going to be reliable, or a giant money pit that is going to plummet the value.

I mean It is barely 2012, and we are declaring a 2011 model(yes I know likely sold in 2010) in a 36 months study?

Just seems like the press is Forcing the whole make. And as usual the people are buying it.

If resale and percieved quality isn't an issue. Why do they have to offer a 10 year 100k warranty and offer incentives like guranteed "resale value" if you buy another Hyundai?

Programs that are around just to "boost" their resale numbers artificially.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
So a barely 3 year old car?

Once again, is it still going to be reliable, or a giant money pit that is going to plummet the value.

I mean It is barely 2012, and we are declaring a 2011 model(yes I know likely sold in 2010) in a 36 months study?

Just seems like the press is Forcing the whole make. And as usual the people are buying it.

If resale and percieved quality isn't an issue. Why do they have to offer a 10 year 100k warranty and offer incentives like guranteed "resale value" if you buy another Hyundai?

Programs that are around just to "boost" their resale numbers artificially.
I was just simply pointing out the current resale values are on par other manufacturers.

I'd still buy the car if the resale value was lower because currently no one else is building anything that I want to drive without spending another $15k. No point in buying a car your not going to be happy with, it's not like I'm going to have the car long enough for anything major to go wrong with it. I'll be trading it in for something else in 3-4 years.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Paid $22,500 ($23,700 MSRP) for my '11 Optima with 5 miles on it.

Couldn't find another sedan in its size that offered the features for the money, including it's brother the Sonata. Got leather, power seat, bluetooth, sirius radio, dual auto climate control, keyless ignition, homelink, and 17" wheels. Plus a 2.4L engine that pumps out 200HP and gets 34MPG highway.

Nothing else comes close to the features for the price, not including the MPG. And no one has a B2B warranty for 5yrs/60k. Don't really care about the powertrain warranty, don't keep my cars 4+ years.

I'm really hoping Hyundai/Kia put AWD in the Optima, which has been rumored. Give Subaru some competition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive