Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,980,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
350,000 miles.
For less than .1% of cars... unless you consider cars that a brought back to their prime by replacing major parts such as the engine and/or transmission). For most cars, it's closer to 100,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
I think "past their prime" is different than "not worth keeping."

I think a car is in its prime when it is fully broken in, still feels and looks new, and isn't yet due for a major service (like a timing belt).

Our 2006 Pilot is long past its prime, but it is still an excellent vehicle with 130K miles. It is a little worn looking, has a few scratches, etc. but it still has many years and miles left before we replace it.

I will generally get rid of a vehicle when I no longer trust it.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I will generally get rid of a vehicle when I no longer trust it.
Very good point. I turned in my Ford Explorer company sled at 218K because it was just about to need a third transmission. Otherwise it was a very reliable vehicle right up to that point.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,598,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
There is really no set answer today, IMO, as it's variable with respect to the condition in which the car was maintained, and the manner in which it is driven. Some cars, with some drivers, are finished at 100k, but others are barely broken in at that mileage, though there are maintenance costs, and wear items that need to be addressed as the mileage increases/vehicle ages. Some makes are better than others, too, for longevity, such that I don't think there's a set answer anymore.
Well said! This post should be the last , and final, answer to this question since it covers it all.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:49 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,885,628 times
My 86' toy PU 5 speed had 286,000,no trouble when I sold it in 2000 when I bought present '99 Toy Sr5 ext cab with auto/overdrive.It now has 169.000.I did have to replace catylitic converter due to ethonol plugging it.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For less than .1% of cars... ... For most cars, it's closer to 100,000 miles.
maybe true in the 'rust-belt' with 1960's style US made iron / cars.

For post 1980's I consider major expense and more prominent failures to be steering / suspension related. The lighter cars, engines, and better quality roads attribute to longevity.

Yikes, that (100k) would be bad!!! I have never had one that new, and have bought several with over 200k and still driving them today.

All of my post 1980 cars have gone to 200k+ with little to no repairs. (water pump; $12, Timing Belt $7, & ignition components on GAS powered cars) Usually just plugs and wires every 100k, ~ $25

Old 01-14-2012, 02:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,980,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
maybe true in the 'rust-belt' with 1960's style US made iron / cars.

For post 1980's I consider major expense and more prominent failures to be steering / suspension related. The lighter cars, engines, and better quality roads attribute to longevity.

Yikes, that (100k) would be bad!!! I have never had one that new, and have bought several with over 200k and still driving them today.

All of my post 1980 cars have gone to 200k+ with little to no repairs. (water pump; $12, Timing Belt $7, & ignition components on GAS powered cars) Usually just plugs and wires every 100k, ~ $25
Do a compression test on any of the cars that you have past 100,000. You'll see that they're not what they were when the car was new or even at 50,000 miles.

Very few cars keep their prime past 120,000 miles. Like .01%.

Heck, my gf has a 2003 Toyota Solara that is around 130,000 miles. Waay past its prime. Still drives good for sure. And requires minimal repairs. But certainly doesn't drive like it used to when she got it at 60,000 miles.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 PM

19,034 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
bmwguydc is right. it is about the condition of a car rather than the mileage, and this was true even in the old days. if a vehicle is properly maintained, there is no reason that it cant go 200,000 miles. otherwise the vehicle can be done by 30,000.
Exactly.
A well-maintained car--of virtually any make nowadays--can easily go 200k miles IF it is maintained at least as well as the mfr specifies. Maintaining it better than the mfr specifies will almost guarantee superior longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Sort of depends, my SUV was turning 60K and needed tires, brakes, shocks. along with a major service and tune up.

All of those things amount to basic maintenance (although it was definitely early for shock replacement), so this type of expenditure is to be expected--if someone wants to keep his vehicle running reliably for the long-term.

Years ago, I knew somebody who was late for almost everything, and the reason was that he consistently had mechanical problems with his car. He used to boast about how little he spent on maintenance, but then in the next breath, he would be talking about how "they just don't make them like they used to", and how he really needed to replace his car as a result of its condition.

This guy knew nothing about cars (and refused to take guidance from anyone who knew more than he did), did very little maintenance, and the result was that his cars were rolling wrecks by the time that they got to ~90k miles. Nowadays, he might actually be able to get a modern rolling wreck to go as far as 150k miles before it self-destructs, but self-destruct they will if they are not properly maintained.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Exactly.
A well-maintained car--of virtually any make nowadays--can easily go 200k miles IF it is maintained at least as well as the mfr specifies. Maintaining it better than the mfr specifies will almost guarantee superior longevity.

All of those things amount to basic maintenance (although it was definitely early for shock replacement), so this type of expenditure is to be expected--if someone wants to keep his vehicle running reliably for the long-term.

Years ago, I knew somebody who was late for almost everything, and the reason was that he consistently had mechanical problems with his car. He used to boast about how little he spent on maintenance, but then in the next breath, he would be talking about how "they just don't make them like they used to", and how he really needed to replace his car as a result of its condition.

This guy knew nothing about cars (and refused to take guidance from anyone who knew more than he did), did very little maintenance, and the result was that his cars were rolling wrecks by the time that they got to ~90k miles. Nowadays, he might actually be able to get a modern rolling wreck to go as far as 150k miles before it self-destructs, but self-destruct they will if they are not properly maintained.
But putting $3-4,000 into a vehicle that wouold be worth $10K compaared to $18k trade in and a new vehicle.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
Prime?? I would say about 40k miles.. Soon after, brakes need service, tires replacing and the original feel of the car is gone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive