Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times

Advertisements

I'd agree with the logic of the AC transformer producing the same voltage as the DC charger, perhaps... but this is the way my Droid X2 works. It shows how much charge it has in %. With the AC charger it takes about 40 minutes to get a 100% charge and recommend disconnecting from the charger. The other chargers never reach 100% with my phone.

If your AC charger is not charging as well as your DC charger, is there something wrong with your AC charger? IDK.

It seems like more than a coincidence that two other people with phones like mine experience it the same way. Maybe it depends on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I've been through three chargers, such that Verizon has exchanged them at no cost. The chargers cannot all be defective. I've also tried the phone in four different houses, a couple of hotels, office, etc., all to the same effect: the phone does not even acknowledge charging when connected to AC current, only DC current results in the phone charging. It's possessed; and, it has puzzled techs, who will gladly sell me an upgrade, but until it truly will not charge, I deal with the annoyance, since I carry two phones anyway. And I have three batteries for it, so I swap them out as they charge, and then use them. The batteries were all a result to eliminate that possibility as to why the phone would not charge properly, but alas, no change.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Hmmm... it seems to me that the smaller the screen, the longer the battery lasts.

I have an LG Env laying around here somewhere that would hold a charge for a week regardless of where or how you charge it.

Now I've got this 4.3" screen and I have to charge it every night for the next day.

Oh btw, my phone is a Motorola.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Crazy question - do you leave the phone on when you plug it into the AC outlet? Is it on in the car?

If you turn it off when connected to the AC, it may charge at a faster rate than if it's on and plugged into the cig lighter.

Just a thought.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM

158 posts, read 907,354 times
If your phone didn't get charged at all, the lighter outlet in your car might not be working. Might be a blown fuse. As for whether it charges same as house charger no, the output is lower and it charges at much slower rate, but it does charge.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Crazy question - do you leave the phone on when you plug it into the AC outlet? Is it on in the car?

If you turn it off when connected to the AC, it may charge at a faster rate than if it's on and plugged into the cig lighter.

Just a thought.
On in the car, or off in the car, the phone will charge; yet, on in the house, or off in the house/office/hotel/AC current, the phone will not charge. The batteries hold a charge, too, so it's just the phone...

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I have a 5 year old LG flip phone. I've replaced the battery once. The employee at the Verizon store told me that charging with my car charger vs my wall charger will heat up the battery and cause it to bulge--which is not good for the overall life of the battery. That employee told me to avoid using the car charger when the option of charging with the wall charger is available. The car charger should only be used for a quick charge.

Don't know if newer phones have this issue or not.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have a 5 year old LG flip phone. I've replaced the battery once. The employee at the Verizon store told me that charging with my car charger vs my wall charger will heat up the battery and cause it to bulge--which is not good for the overall life of the battery. That employee told me to avoid using the car charger when the option of charging with the wall charger is available. The car charger should only be used for a quick charge.

Don't know if newer phones have this issue or not.
They were a little bit confused. There are some car chargers that can destroy your battery. If you buy an OEM car charger for your phone however, it should have the same warranty and be just as safe as your wall charger. Sometimes when people buy the cheap car chargers on ebay and other sites, thats what will ruin your battery. Things like "fast" chargers are not good for the phone.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I have no idea what an OEM car charger is. I just used the one that I bought from the Verizon store when I bought my LG phone. I totally avoid using my car charger now because of the bulging battery issue I had years ago after using my car charger more often.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have no idea what an OEM car charger is. I just used the one that I bought from the Verizon store when I bought my LG phone. I totally avoid using my car charger now because of the bulging battery issue I had years ago after using my car charger more often.
As long as it's a name brand charger (LG, Motorola, etc), it will not harm the battery when charging in the car. The Verizon rep is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive