Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
It's very similar to five hundred, but it looks a little different (better) on the exterior. Mercury used to be a more upscale version of Ford and even had better reliability ratings. Nobody bought them because there were problems with brand name recognition and most people don't know cars that well so they only follow the mainstream trends. At the same dealership I bought mine there was a five hundred, much more expensive with much more miles and much fewer features. Mine even had aftermarket rims.
No one bought Mercury's because they couldn't see the point in paying an extra couple thousand dollars for a different badge, bumper and a nicer graining on the interior plastic. Mercury pretty much ceased being a more upscale Ford in the 1980's. Ford tried hard to keep it going, but the brand just got slowly whittled down to nothing. You got such a great deal on yours compared to the Five Hundred sitting next to it, because at the time you bought it Mercury was a "dead brand". Look at the pricing of Saturns and Pontiacs compared to their twin Chevy's and you can see the same thing.

As for whether or not you want to pimp it out, it's all up to you. Some of the things you want to do are pretty pricey. If your goal is to get a "real" luxury car, then save that money towards that purpose. If you love you car and want to mess around with it, then have at it. The choice is entirely up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,866,681 times
Do you want any attention from carjackers and police?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,613,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Do you want any attention from carjackers and police?
I plan to be a cop actually so I guess it's fine. lol

Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times
I drive an Accord and kiddies often ask me when I’m going to lower it and put wheels on it. It’s funny when what might be the last stock Accord gets more attention than a riced out one.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,598,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I got Mercury Montego 2007. It's a real nice car, reliable, big and cozy and looks good too. Also, its pretty rare and has been discontinued so it will be nice to be unique, especially later on when you will see even fewer of them. I've had it for a year and a half-bought it used, got a great deal on it, but I was thinking about changing the interior, putting different type of leather seats, a wood wheel and so on, to make it feel more luxurious. Is it worth doing that though, especially that it's not the most high end car to begin with or I should I just save money and buy a luxury car some day? (benz, caddie, etc)
Back in the day we used to call this "customizing ,or rodding, your car" which makes the entire process a personal project with no sale recovery in mind.

If you manage to get bragging rights when you're done with your car that is all the payment you can ever expect.

Anytime anyone can look at a project and say "I did that" it's a good day!

Life isn't all about money..........

Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 PM

3,864 posts, read 6,769,370 times
I am modding my VW Golf 2.5. But I do it because it helps me to love my car and I consider it a hobby, albeit an expensive one. My car is brand new however so I plan to keep it a minimum of 5 years. Also, I wont be doing anything that I cant take off and resell later should I want to part it out and sell it off as stock so I dont lose more on the car.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
You can buy a wood dashboard insert kit and wheel insert kit, which is less expensive than replacing the wheel. That would enhance the interior appeal of the vehicle, but I would not bother to reupholster the seats right now, especially if they are in good condition.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The only mods that are worth it are the ones that would improve the ride and handling.
And acceleration.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
"Pimping out" is never worth it, for anyone with reasonable taste and an eye for monetary value. Tasteful, sensible add-ons or modifications are great. I'm a fan of "form follows function", meaning in this case that mods have an effect on the performance of the car, rather than just the appearance.

Bad examples:

1. Putting $3K of dubs on a $500 car, with the necessary junkyard lift necessary to accomodate the wheels.
2. Same car, with a $4k paint job with candy bar names on it.
3. Same car with a $4k interior made of Skittles colored vinyl.
4. Same car, with speakers or TVs anywhere there's enough surface area to put them, regardless oh how they look or sound.
5. Same car, running a beat to death 200K mile old engine that only had 150 HP to begin with.

If lightning struck me and somehow allowed me to think spending $15K on a sub $1000 car (I know yours isn't) made any sense at all, I'd put a custom suspension and brakes under it, 500+ HP in it, and and then spend whatever is left over on a nearly invisible trick sound system, an alarm loaded with toys, and maybe then some paint and clean up the interior.

But it's your money.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,613,372 times
Well, you know everyone has a different taste. I am happy with how it performs so I am only considering cosmetic, non performance related add ons thus the title pimping out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive