Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM

16 posts, read 27,857 times

Advertisements

Sorry sales people, but I'm just looking. I find car lots, dealerships and automalls to be like huge car shows. When I say I'm just looking...I mean I'm just looking. I guess I could waste your time if you want because I'm not there to buy...just walk around aimlessly and admire the pretty cars. What can I say...I'm a car guy and I like looking at cars.

The best sales people and the ones I'm most likely to look up when I am buying or mention to friends are the ones that give me their business card, ask me to find them if I have any questions, then leave me to looking by myself.

Also....if the cars are locked...I'm gonna walk.

Hope it works out for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,970,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonenine View Post
Sorry sales people, but I'm just looking. I find car lots, dealerships and automalls to be like huge car shows. When I say I'm just looking...I mean I'm just looking. I guess I could waste your time if you want because I'm not there to buy...just walk around aimlessly and admire the pretty cars. What can I say...I'm a car guy and I like looking at cars.

The best sales people and the ones I'm most likely to look up when I am buying or mention to friends are the ones that give me their business card, ask me to find them if I have any questions, then leave me to looking by myself.

we too like to walk around and look at cars, but we do that on a Sunday. That way i dont waste anyone's time (as it is their career to sell a car), and I'm on my own to wonder around checking things out.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,370,974 times
I'll tell you something intimate about this.

When I go into a car dealer, my first thought is to feel sorry for the salesmen. I know it to be a difficult job with high turnover and the young men I encounter remind me uncomfortably of myself as a young man with few good prospects.

I always try to be nice and keep my interactions shallow for my own comfort.

A car salesman is an iconic job and I am sure many people feel as I do. I want them to succeed, but usually do not see a working model of that success. Hence the discomfort.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,830,090 times
Don't go back and forth with the sales manager with numbers. It's like talking to the whizard behind the curtain. Let me talk to the guy that has final say and stop dicking with me. That is what pisses me off about the car buying process. This is why I love leasing. I'm shoping on a monthly payment with $0 down. I email my requirements to dealers within 100 miles and see who gives me the best deal.

Also, throw me the keys to a demo car and let me take it out by myself for a while. That always ends up going well.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,861,726 times
Quote:

I totally agree on the locked vehicle theory.....hum...it must not be for sale!

As for just looking around...I'm most likely looking for colors as I probably already know everything I need to know about the vehicle long before I show up on the lot. Then....price, like I said I already know everything I need to know but, some where in time price must be discussed. Now, if one thing will send me walking quicker than "are you going to buy today?" it's "what kind of payments are you looking at?" Immediately after I ask for the price. With either one of these questions, offering me a card would be a waste of time. My time.

When I walk onto a car lot I want one thing...the truth...no gimmics...no tricks...no scams...no double talk....no double teaming...no low balling. And don't even attempt to tell me how great your service department is because that's yet to be seen. Everyone has the best service....until you need it.

If you want to do business with me the first thing you should do is, take off your car salesman hat.

My advice for the Op is....get out while you still have a good reputation. As I always say, car salesman are one of two professions that will not make it to Heaven but, it don't have to be that way.

I hadn't planned on saying all this...sorry...carry on.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,119,323 times
Quote:

Too many jerks will throw trash, gum, cig butts, etc., into a car or do damage for no reason whatsoever. People will also steal things for which they have no use, just to say "Look what I stole". I can absolutely understand why doors are often locked on car lots.

In this thread there's a growing list of why some people avoid car lots. Can't people just communicate their intentions, without feeling the need to avoid or run away from a car lot? Time is too valuable to run away if:

1. The doors are locked

2. Anyone asks for the sale (hint-it's basic sales training to always ask for a sale if the process suggests it's appropriate. Some people need to be asked)

3. A dealer tries to make a profit off of me

4. Anyone says anything not worded exactly as you've determined it needs to be said...

...and so on.

I walk onto a lot to do whatever...look for a car, window shop, research, find something for a friend, etc. I never feel like I have to leave. Maybe people need more confidence and make fewer excuses.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,861,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Too many jerks will throw trash, gum, cig butts, etc., into a car or do damage for no reason whatsoever. People will also steal things for which they have no use, just to say "Look what I stole". I can absolutely understand why doors are often locked on car lots.

In this thread there's a growing list of why some people avoid car lots. Can't people just communicate their intentions, without feeling the need to avoid or run away from a car lot? Time is too valuable to run away if:

1. The doors are locked

2. Anyone asks for the sale (hint-it's basic sales training to always ask for a sale if the process suggests it's appropriate. Some people need to be asked)

3. A dealer tries to make a profit off of me

4. Anyone says anything not worded exactly as you've determined it needs to be said...

...and so on.

I walk onto a lot to do whatever...look for a car, window shop, research, find something for a friend, etc. I never feel like I have to leave. Maybe people need more confidence and make fewer excuses.
Yep car salesman and dealers take a bad rap but.....like I said before "it don't have to be that way" They choose to be that way.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM

406 posts, read 1,426,887 times
Quote:

You are the exact reason why we like to make sure that all doors are locked. A looker will hardly ever be a buyer. If we leave you to look (since you love them soo much) you will be "looking forever, and thats all you'll be doing. Do you ever do anything except just look? Do you ever "look them up again? Do you ever end up buying? just curiouse.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,217,362 times
I would read some of Joe Girards books. He holds the record for selling more cars in a year than anyone else on the planet. Joe Girard - World's Greatest Salesman, Best Selling Author, Lecturer and Motivational Speaker

Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM

406 posts, read 1,426,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
we too like to walk around and look at cars, but we do that on a Sunday. That way i dont waste anyone's time (as it is their career to sell a car), and I'm on my own to wonder around checking things out.
Just for what it's worth, where i'm located we are open from 12-4 first 2 Sundays out the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive