Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,465 times

Advertisements

Basically this is what I have learned so far. "Meet & Greet", Build Report, Qualify, "walk-around" explaining features and benefits of those features, demo drive, trial close (if we can come to the right numbers will you drive this car home today?), negotiations at the desk, the "worksheet", 4-square, overcome-objections, silent close, certain things to say, sighned comittment, close... One customer I had at my desk wanted to pay 9,000 with two back tires for a car we had marked down to 9,900 online. I got her to 9,900 out the door (minus taxes) and minus the tires, needless to say the dealership ended up loseing money on that deal and I got a "Mini".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
I didn't say that it isn't for you, I only said it as a possibility. I tried it in 99-2000. I did OK and made some money, but I sure started hating my coworkers, and especially customers. I wasn't "feeling it" anymore and decided that it wasn't for me. I wasn't really trying. I had crappy month, and was about to start looking for different work, when they fired me for, well, not trying. I didn't apply at another dealership--I figured I had seen enough and learned enough.

P.S. I worked for a place that had a lot of turnover in the management (not to mention salespeople). It was one of the newer managers who really didn't like me, so he fired me because he could.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 AM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i have been a salesman in the electrical supply world for almost 40 years.

one of the best salesman i ever met worked in a high end audio store. his name was josh . ill never forget his technique.

my wife and i walked in and he came over and introduced himself.

he asked us what product were we THINKING of buying at some point....... he didnt say can i help you?

that word thinking threw us for a loop. he managed to get our guard down because we knew we were under no pressure to committ. after all he used the words thinking of buying . that means we are under no pressure to committ today in our minds,. the words think of buying required an answer from us and next a conversation.

there was no mention of budget or price. he simply had us sit down and listen to some systems.

still no sales push.. no talk of budget . he blew us away with a 25k system letting us see what it had to offer.

he waited for us to start asking the questions and before we knew it we were discussing compromises to get the system into an affordable range .we dropped 10k on a LINN SONDEK system there without once feeling we were sold anything but merly bought on our own free will . this was without a tv in those days so it was quite alot of money for a sound system.

by not talking budget he took us right to the top so anything now less than in price was cheaper and not sticker shock to us.

the reality is he got our guard down, let us hook ourselves on the systems we heard and lets us basically sell ourselves on the system as he just answered our questions.

whether he planned it that way or thats just his technique its a feeling i never forgot.

the biggest error new salesman make is asking can i help you? the reaction of the customer is no, just looking. with that the salesman walks away and the customer ends up leaving without ever seeing you.

of course they are just looking, thats what people do before they are "just buying" you walked away and left them alone free to walk out with money in pocket.

you have to be a josh, keep the customers guard down but stick with him like white on rice but never let them feel your trying to make the sale or pressure them.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-03-2012 at 04:07 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Basically this is what I have learned so far. "Meet & Greet", Build Report, Qualify, "walk-around" explaining features and benefits of those features, demo drive, trial close (if we can come to the right numbers will you drive this car home today?), negotiations at the desk, the "worksheet", 4-square, overcome-objections, silent close, certain things to say, sighned comittment, close... One customer I had at my desk wanted to pay 9,000 with two back tires for a car we had marked down to 9,900 online. I got her to 9,900 out the door (minus taxes) and minus the tires, needless to say the dealership ended up loseing money on that deal and I got a "Mini".
= slimeball salesman

Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times
One thing I hate as a car buyer is when they don't give me enough time to check the car out in and outside alone. I don't like someone holding hands or dragging me in the office with a brochure right away.

I like to roam around and look at other models too.

I like to know what the prices are and get it on paper to take home. Answers like "it's on the internet" are not satisfying.

I hate too many nice words just because you have to sell. I am not stupid and know your salary works on a commission and you want me to buy

Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 AM

332 posts, read 990,618 times
Here are some tips from a customer:

Don't ask me if I need help-when I need help I'll ask you. Basically, leave me alone until I'm ready to test drive the car or make a transaction.

Don't make small talk-I know full well that you could care less how many kids I have or what I like to do on the weekends. The feeling is mutual.

When I make an offer on the car say "yes" or "no" and nothing more.

Be an expert on every model you sell, new and used. If I want to know who makes the transmission (Borg Warner, Aisin Warner, etc...), be able to tell me. I don't care how many cup holders there are.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
It's "rapport".

Don't get tied down with a strict plan of steps. There are many routes to the same end, and if all you know is 1, 2, 3, you'll not be able to regroup when the prospective customer goes in a different direction.

Learn what FABs are. Too many salespeople throw out facts and figures that have no meaning to the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have been a salesman in the electrical supply world for almost 40 years.

one of the best salesman i ever met worked in a high end audio store. his name was josh . ill never forget his technique.

my wife and i walked in and he came over and introduced himself.

he asked us what product were we THINKING of buying at some point....... he didnt say can i help you?

that word thinking threw us for a loop. he managed to get our guard down because we knew we were under no pressure to committ. after all he used the words thinking of buying . that means we are under no pressure to committ today in our minds,. the words think of buying required an answer from us and next a conversation.

there was no mention of budget or price. he simply had us sit down and listen to some systems.

still no sales push.. no talk of budget . he blew us away with a 25k system letting us see what it had to offer.

he waited for us to start asking the questions and before we knew it we were discussing compromises to get the system into an affordable range .we dropped 10k on a LINN SONDEK system there without once feeling we were sold anything but merly bought on our own free will . this was without a tv in those days so it was quite alot of money for a sound system.

by not talking budget he took us right to the top so anything now less than in price was cheaper and not sticker shock to us.

the reality is he got our guard down, let us hook ourselves on the systems we heard and lets us basically sell ourselves on the system as he just answered our questions.

whether he planned it that way or thats just his technique its a feeling i never forgot.

the biggest error new salesman make is asking can i help you? the reaction of the customer is no, just looking. with that the salesman walks away and the customer ends up leaving without ever seeing you.

of course they are just looking, thats what people do before they are "just buying" you walked away and left them alone free to walk out with money in pocket.

you have to be a josh, keep the customers guard down but stick with him like white on rice but never let them feel your trying to make the sale or pressure them.
Any salesperson that still says "can I help you" should immediately be removed from the sales floor and given a job in the mail room. No exceptions.

Josh did "top down selling". Sears pioneered that long ago, but it's an excellent technique. Some people will say "That's what I want" after being shown the best you have. Many people have idea what's available until they're shown the best. Some won't buy the best but now they have a reference standard to compare everything else to. And those people will have something to tell their friends about.

At a place I worked for a short time the manager of the mobile side did "bottom up selling". He started with the least expensive option, and seldom moved up from there. He asked me one day why I showed everyone the $5K Martin Logan speakers, and I told him "because someone will buy them". And several someones did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
Here are some tips from a customer:

Don't ask me if I need help-when I need help I'll ask you. Basically, leave me alone until I'm ready to test drive the car or make a transaction.

Don't make small talk-I know full well that you could care less how many kids I have or what I like to do on the weekends. The feeling is mutual.

When I make an offer on the car say "yes" or "no" and nothing more.

Be an expert on every model you sell, new and used. If I want to know who makes the transmission (Borg Warner, Aisin Warner, etc...), be able to tell me. I don't care how many cup holders there are.
Not very realistic. All relationships start with a greeting.

As for the rest, you're obviously very confrontational and not open to a casual business transaction. It could be a win-win, but you've already decided it's a battle, haven't you?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 AM

332 posts, read 990,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
As for the rest, you're obviously very confrontational and not open to a casual business transaction. It could be a win-win, but you've already decided it's a battle, haven't you?
Battle? No. Just don't want the B.S. Car dealers seem intent on serving it up though. I've sent countless e-mails out with exactly what I'm looking for, explaining that I've done all the research that can possibly be done, I don't need to test drive the car (I already did once), and that if a dealer can supply the exact vehicle I'm looking for at a lower price than anyone else, I'll come down to the dealer with a down payment, we can work out financing, and be done within an hour. All I've gotten in response is a bunch of garbage about making appointments, them wanting to "accommodate my busy schedule," and if they could just talk to me over the phone...

Old 02-03-2012, 02:14 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,037 times
It never ceases to amaze me at some of the scams they come up with.

Have you all noticed, when looking on the net for a vehicle, they don't give prices anymore like they once did, they want you to call for a price. Some still do but, not many. (someone will address that issue at the next dealer meeting I'm sure as well need to be on the same page)Now, if we the valued customer don't have a reliable figure of what the vehicle is worth on the market, what do we do? We are supposed to pay what they ask for it because "It's a great deal".

I'll say again "there are some good dealers out there" and I know both of them.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times
Do car salesmen have to do customer retention calls when they don't have anyone in the showroom?

Who gets the customer if all salesmen are free when someone walks in?

Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive