U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM

411 posts, read 1,553,658 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to buy a Honda CR-V or another Toyota Camry and a 2004-2007ish model with around 80-100k miles is in my price range. I'll either buy one from a private party and pay to have it checked out at the mechanic before purchase, or will buy from a dealer who has a 7-day bring it back policy where I'll bring it to a mechanic within that time.

My question is, what should be looked at with a car of that age and how much can a mechanic really tell as to what it might soon need? I'm thinking of the timing belt (2005 and older CR-Vs have a timing chain), water pump, brakes, rotors, etc... what other expensive repairs could be due? When I bought my current Camry (almost 200k miles) it had 60k miles and my old mechanic said don't bother bringing it in, there is going to be nothing wrong with a Honda or Toyota with "only" 60k miles...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM

13,719 posts, read 26,889,413 times
If you pay a good mechanic to inspect your car, they should know what to look for. To me a good mechanic would be one very familiar with that brand and model.

I know a few things though that I would look for:

- evidence of accidents; frame damage, paint work, etc.
- important scheduled maintenance should have been performed. For Hondas the timing belt is usually due around 100K miles. It isn't a deal killer if it hasn't been done, but it should be used to negotiate the price down.
- fluid leaks
- brake functioning and condition; it's ok of they are worn and work well; but you'll know they need pads/rotor soon
- suspension, shocks, bushings, alignment
- evidence of water damage through leaks or floods
- interior related features - climate control, fans, radio, fabric, smoking, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or