Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times

Advertisements

How about the Corvette? You would think a car like that would be marketed towards a slightly younger audience, but the vast majority of people I see driving them are much older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:00 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Quote:
How about the Corvette? You would think a car like that would be marketed towards a slightly younger audience, but the vast majority of people I see driving them are much older.
The price tag of a new 'Vette is often deterrent to the younger market. Where I live, Corvette's are as common as Camry's. Many retired guys own 'Vette's but usually they favor the newer-style C6's or the go in the exact opposite direction and buy collector C1 and C2 'Vette's. The C3, C4, and C5 are all affordable enough for young men in their 20's to purchase and mod-out.

Last edited by TheViking85; 01-25-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,599 times
Didn't mean to offend anyone with that post, agreed should have no bearing on what we bought..my wife thought it was strange though, something we never noticed and still haven't...I just googled it and it appears to be so.

She wanted more of an SUV though regardless, not a station wagon looking outback.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,423 times
HHr's and PT's were in my opinion some of the ugliest looking vehicles the US ever produced.

Their attempt at a retro rod failed in spades.

I fully agree with you concerning the Honda Element.
They work extremely well for the disabled due to their design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If Chrysler thought the PT would appeal to young people they were just dumb. The PT appeals strongly to older people who for some reason think it is cool to drive something that looks like a milk truck.

No one young drives a HHR either.

Honda expected the Element to sell to young, active people. There are definitely many cyclists, etc. that drive them, but many older people like them too for the roominess and practicality.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,599 times
And for the record my wife is smart, and we also have friends of all sexual preferences. Again apologies not meant to offend I should have worded my response differently. Whatever floats your boat. End of story.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Many gay women are keen on Subarus and many gay men are keen on Jeeps. Odd that some think making broad assumptions on who drives what is OK when we're talking age but not when talking sexuality.

In any event painting with a broad brush is the purpose of this thread in the first place.

How about BMW? Originally intended for enthusiasts and engineering fanciers and now just the modern Buick, a status symbol usually driven by people whose knowledge of engineering ends at turning on the radio and whose need for handling is more about ramps in urban garages than mountain twisties.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

The price tag of a new 'Vette is often deterrent to the younger market. Where I live, Corvette's are as common as Camry's. Many retired guys own 'Vette's but usually they favor the newer-style C6's or the go in the exact opposite direction and buy collector C1 and C2 'Vette's. The C3, C4, and C5 are all affordable enough for young men in their 20's to purchase and mod-out.
I didn't mean "young" as the price tag definitely is a deterrant to that. I just meant "younger". I would have thought the mid 30's crowd would have a few more vettes in the mix with the BMWs, Infinitis, etc. that fall in the same price group.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
And for the record my wife is smart, and we also have friends of all sexual preferences. Again apologies not meant to offend I should have worded my response differently. Whatever floats your boat. End of story.
If people are going to allow themselves to be offended, that's their problem not yours. A straight, married woman doesn't wish to drive a car what is precieved to be a car favored by lesbians, and someone has a problem with that? What ever happened to, "To each his own?"

Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Anyone who thinks that either the Prius or the Subaru is a "gay" or "lesbian" car is seriously confused.

Here in Vermont Subarus are extremely popular because they enable you to have all-wheel drive without buying a truck or SUV. They are supremely practical in a state where you might wind up driving in snow eight or nine months of the year (pretty unusual in June, July, August, and September).

Similarly, there are a lot of Prius drivers in Vermont, mostly because of fuel economy and environmental concerns.

I can assure you that although there are undoubtedly gay and lesbian Prius and Subaru drivers, they are a small minority. Any car company that bet the company on their ability to appeal to the tiny gay/lesbian market would be in serious trouble.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
wrangler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive