Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Try a foaming glass cleaner rather than a windex-type product. You wouldn't believe how much easier it is to wipe off.
I just tried this over the past weekend and was amazed how good it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I recently visited a light house on the coast. I asked them what they use the clean the light house glass. They said way back when they used wine. And now use vinegar.

I tried that on the inside of my windshield, then was overcome with the strong fumes! I opened the other door to get some air flowing...

But anyway no streaking!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM

260 posts, read 656,822 times
I didn't read through the whole thread, but I'll mention a couple odd things that I've done, or seen done, that worked great.

1. When I was about 15, my dad bought a used car for my mom and the inside of the windshield was constantly getting a film no matter how many times my mom cleaned it. One day my dad drove the car since his vehicle was being worked on and I went with him. He was annoyed with the film and stopped in a parking lot, pulled out the ashtray which still had a little ash in it from the previous owner, poured the ash out onto a cloth and proceeded to wipe the windshield down. The film didn't comeback, there was no streaking and it had the added benefit of keeping condensation down.
I've never seen anyone but my dad do this and no one I mention it to seems to know this trick of using ash. I've done it with ash out of the fireplace.

2. As strange as it sounds, hair. I was having the same problem with film buildup on a car we bought, had no ash to clean it, but I did have a large amount of horse hair I trimmed off my horse. I was saving it to sell for making horse hair items, but on a whim I grabbed a handful and wiped down the inside of the windshield. It worked great, the film never came back. I live in a desert and condensation is not an issue out here, so don't know if it has the same effect on reducing condensation as the ash.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Windex and a paper towel... then let dry. Follow up with a dry, wadded up piece of newspaper and wipe away.

^ This has always worked for me.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but what do people use on tinted windows? I know not to use ammonia, but plain water doesn't always get the job done.
I'm a window tinter, residential not cars. Get a small spray bottle 6, 8, 12 oz, whatever, fill it almost to the top with water and give it 2 or 3 squirts of baby shampoo in the bottle. Baby shampoo is used by tinters to clean the window before film install, it's used to wet the film during the install and is perfectly safe to clean windows, tinted or not after the install. A good quality paper towel, Bounty , Brawny etc. is preferred.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
Shine products such as Armorall.
I don't use Armor All. It contains alcohol which dries out leather and vinyl material.

I use Gliptone.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
If not mentioned, I use 303 aerospace protectant on interior, and stoners invisible glass. If I have a bad problem... I would try 50/50 isopropal alcohol and deionized water and a chamy.
It's called out in engineering specs on aircraft Windows which is very very particular about minor imperfections.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive