Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

Advertisements

Boy you folks are stiffs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
I can understand why most folks have matured beyond jack rabbit stops and starts but I guess I might find it curious (to irritating) would be when you are behind a powerful car that is entering a freeway at a speed well below the flow of traffic forcing you to drive aggressively just to safely get up to speed around it so folks don't have to brake as you enter the lane.

Or when you are beholden behind a powerful car waiting to get into traffic from a side street or lot that is busy enough that you have to actually use some power to cross into the traffic safely, and they act as if they have a 1980 Mercedes 140D, waiting until there is no traffic for 500+ yards before attempting it, and that may very well be a very long wait until that situation arises.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:36 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Why do you need to? If you're at a stoplight, chances are you're driving in a city with numerous cars around you...why would you care to accelerate profusely when you're going to hit a red light in a half mile?

I never slam on the gas at a stoplight, why would I? My city mpg's are bad enough, I don't need to make them worse. And why speed up quickly if you're just going to slam on the brakes? Good way to wear out your brake pads and tires not to mention the wear/tear on your engine components.

I'll gladly speed along on the freeway/interstate where I don't have to worry about slamming on my breaks (usually).
Ah, there thing the road I driving down has nicely timed traffic lights. If you drive at 50 mph (10 mph over limit) or pick up fast and drive 45 mph you hit all green limits for 7 - 10 miles on the city street! Time traffic light are pretty common out here in DFW area. It these darn ppl driving slowly that causes me sometimes to miss traffic lights!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 PM

8,068 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Maybe the people realize that they are driving around town and not at the drag strip

I think it's funny watching idiots mash the gas just to get to the next stop light quicker.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I seen tons of cars with fairly powerful engine but just don't seem every pickup speed from the traffic light. The often drive so slow a car with a small (as 1.6 liter) I4 can even zoom past them. In fact, I have seen high end cars, like a Lamborghini, whose drive just wouldn't pick up speed. Just go so annoyed some these drivers and usually end up passing them.

My question why get the high end engine when it seems like it is not put any good use? I guess they could trying increase mpgs in their V8/V6s with super slow pickup, but that point why not get fuel efficient car actually?

If I had powerful engine in my car you know I would hitting accelerator a lot much faster than these slow pokes are!
Are you writing in some kind of code, or just messing with us?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Are you writing in some kind of code, or just messing with us?

Clearly, the OP is someone whose first language is not English, and he is not yet very skilled at expressing himself in his new language.

That reality aside, I want to know when he is going to buy his own Lambo, rather than having him tell us how he would drive his hypothetical/imaginary Lambo.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Clearly, the OP is someone whose first language is not English, and he is not yet very skilled at expressing himself in his new language.

That reality aside, I want to know when he is going to buy his own Lambo, rather than having him tell us how he would drive his hypothetical/imaginary Lambo.
Nah, I read some of his other posts. He's messin' with us! Seems like he has a pretty good grasp of the english language, or a least a lot better than in this post.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
I seen tons of cars with fairly powerful engine but just don't seem every pickup speed from the traffic light. The often drive so slow a car with a small (as 1.6 liter) I4 can even zoom past them. In fact, I have seen high end cars, like a Lamborghini, whose drive just wouldn't pick up speed. Just go so annoyed some these drivers and usually end up passing them.

My question why get the high end engine when it seems like it is not put any good use? I guess they could trying increase mpgs in their V8/V6s with super slow pickup, but that point why not get fuel efficient car actually?

If I had powerful engine in my car you know I would hitting accelerator a lot much faster than these slow pokes are!
This is why,

Lambo Crash - YouTube

Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 PM

373 posts, read 710,393 times
Quote:

Big engines deliver big torque which is good if you are hauling pulp wood. Other than that it is a waste of money and fuel. Speeders always end up with tickets, high insurance and wrecked cars...dont speed near me or I will call the Highway Patrol/

Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
There are a lot of factors at play. My Genesis Coupe with the 6 speed manual has a very short 1st and 2nd gears so unless I'm driving like a jackhole it takes a bit of time to get up to speed and complete the gear changes leisurely. Particularly from complete stops I always get passed by someone with their foot down in an automatic econo car. As soon as we're up to speed I've got 370tq on tap and I'm passing and changing lanes without issue.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 01-27-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive