Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:45 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

I would recommend:

Make sure your State's DMV clears the lien from it's records. This is automatic in some States, but may not be in others.

Unless you're going to cancel your collision coverage, notify your insurance company that the lien is paid, so they can remove the lienholder as the "loss payee". YOU are now the loss payee, congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I agree to save the money you were spending on payments. But to help keep that new-car-want at bay, spend a few bucks here and there to freshen up your truck. Maybe replace some speakers or add a sub. If the carpet has taken a beating, replace it. Get the little dents taken out and have it detailed. If the windshield is badly pitted, replace it. Look for new wheels. Personalize it. Do whatever is keeping it from being like new, along the lines of what is important to you.

It's worked for me for every car I've had that long.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
I hope you used Mopar brand ATF+4 to do the trans services. If that's all you used and you didn't beat it up, it might go the distance. Different trans, but I had a Dodge car from that era go 231k miles on the original trans before I traded it in. At that milelage it acted a little funny when cold but ran like a champ after a couple minutes. Might've had something to do with the fact I had the fluid changed at 60k and never again after that...

If you always kept it maintained well, I'd keep the truck and "freshen" it up. You might need to rejuvenate the headlight lenses, change the belts, spark plugs, @ 100k is when I serviced the rear brakes for the first time. Might want to take a look at all the front-end bushings and replace if you see any hairline cracks to make it ride better-- you'd be surprised how much that makes a difference.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Do you just have e serious need for something different?

It's paid off, keep it.

I keep getting told to trade in my F150, but it's paid off and has been since Sept 2009. I can use it around the refinery (XL trim = vinyl floors, ftw) and find something else on the cheap to roll around town in. Really want a Supercrew or a newer Ranger, but if the grandfather goes big ballin' one last time and gets a 2012 GMC Sierra, his 04 Chevy is mine to buy.

So, to answer your question, "Celebrate and do nothing silly!"

Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Drive it for another 100K and save the money you aren't spending on car payments.
thats the key. if you don't save the car payments that you would have made, and your truck dies your out of luck and can't afford a new car. Most people will spend the $$ they are not paying into the payment on crap and have no savings

Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Copntinue paying 3/4 of the payment. 50% goes into an account for downpayment on a new or newer car. 25% goes into a fund for repairs for this one. the remaining 25% can either pay down credit cards, provide some savings for other purposes or simply be some "fun' money.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
Default Keep that Truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Copntinue paying 3/4 of the payment. 50% goes into an account for downpayment on a new or newer car. 25% goes into a fund for repairs for this one. the remaining 25% can either pay down credit cards, provide some savings for other purposes or simply be some "fun' money.
This is very good advice.( above quote)
The 4.7 is a good engine, not as forgiving as some designs due to its over head cams and the way the tension is kept on the timing chains. Keep the oil and coolant changed often. Keep the transmission fluid changed and that rear diff fluid changed. As a former Dodge Service Mgr I strongly recommeded changing the engine oil every 5K and all the other fuilds every 30K. Those folks who did usually had great service well into 150K plus with trucks like yours before needing any major work.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
so I'm just asking what some of you did after you paid it off?
Personally I've enjoyed 6 years and 5 months years without a car payment. I paid off my car in 2 years and enjoyed the last 6+ years without any payments, repair bills have been low too. I hope to get another 2 or 3 years out of it, good on gas too.

If I die before it stops running, I demand to be buried in my 2003 Honda Civic LX Coupe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive