Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

For about ten years, I have been considering replacing my 1995 Canaro Z28. I just have not found anything that I like enough to change. However now that I drive it in Michigan, the Camrao is impractical. It is the worst possible vehicle for snow driving. It is also a bit tight for me as I get older. On a long drive, I sometimes have trouble standing up when I get out. I am big (6'1" - 219) and I have long legs, so it was tight for me even whan I was 33, now it is pushing impractical. I is also startign to have problems faster than I cna keep up with it and i cannot have a car that breaks down.

For a long time I was thinking about an Avalanche, then I changed to a new RAM Laramie. That is a practical and useful vehichle and good in snow, but the more I think about it, the more it seems dumb to drive that much metal by myself 60 miles a day plus and park it in an absurdly tight parking garage. Now I am reconsidering that whole big 4x4 idea.

My Criteria are:

Not boring, bland or common. (I do not much like sedans and really dislike the variations on the station wagon that constitute about 80% of todays cars.)

Made for a purpose and execellent at that purpose.

Must be from the big 3 (For business and social reasons, foreign makes are out).

Must be fun to drive. Or otherwise special somehow.

Must be reasonably comfortable. I am not going to be getting younger or smaller.

Must handle fairly well in the snow. This pretty much means FWD AWD or 4x4.

Decent combined mileage. Unless I get a specialty vehicle like a pick up, I may as well look for something that gets good mileage. If gas really does go to $5 per gallon this year, that will matter more.

Must be somewhat classy. This is a business thing. I am a high end business litigator. Some clients who are trusting me with their multi million dollar case (or even a small case) are a bit concerned when they see me pull up in a 16 year old Camaro or a 2003 Ford Ranger. Some think that the Camaro is cool, others - well I just park around the corner and walk to their office. If I take a client to lunch I try to walk. Many of my clients are older and not really interested in curling into the Camaro.

Preferably not expensive. I can probably afford most cars, I just do not want to. That is why I never bought an Avalanche. New or used, they are just too expensive for what they are. I woudl prefer to spend my money on other things. If something is otherwise perfect for me, I might go into the $50,000 - $60,000 range, but it is not likely. If I am going to throw that much money at something, I would rather buy a handful of houses in detroit and hope it really does come back.

Recently my son showed me the 2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 ACR online. It meets some of my criteria or appears to. Although it is a boring sedan and a really ugly one, there are other things that I like. Particularly great performance, good mileage, easy to park, front wheel drive (therefore presumably good in snow), inexpensive. I laughed when he said Dodge Neon, but the SRT 4 is a bit different. I do not know if they are comfortable or at all classy. I have only seen one in a picture online. I would want to get rid of the stupid looking hood scoop and especially the spoiler. I think I could change out the hood for a regular Neon hood. I am not sure if the spoiler is removable, or whether it actually does anything (most don't).

Anyway can anyone tell me things about the SRT4 not reacily available online or make other suggestions that I might condsider?

If you know the SRT4 is it at all classy, or does it exude "I am 16, or never grew up" like the Subaru WRX does? Is it tiny and uncomfortable? I do not really remember the neon other than it was a POS sedan, but I had never heard of the SRT4 until now. Is it practical to change out the hood and get rid of the silly spoiler? I did learn that the turbo is not cooled thgouth the **** scoop. It appears that the hood scoop was added just to make the car look silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
If you want "somewhat classy", wipe the SRT4 off the list. I like them, I've had a couple friends who owned them, but they are not classy by a long stretch and depending on your girth the seats can be an issue as well. Basically, they took the regular mid-market trim Neon and "boy racered" it. You get Reacro bucket racing seats, manual transmission (it's a poor manual at that), the turbo engine, a very firm suspension and the exterior "styling". Most of them also came with an upgraded stereo with a trunk mounted subwoofer.

They are fun cars and decently reliable as well. The issue is finding one that hasn't been used like an Atlantic City hooker...not an easy task. Even if you find a good unmolested example, the exhaust note is loud and droning and very "turbo 4 / Fast and Furious" and it rides HARSH. Basically everything that makes it "fun" makes it horrible as a daily driver. They are also horrible in the snow with their gearing, power delivery and low front splitter. Friends of mine who had them pretty much garaged them at the first signs of snow.

The exterior parts are easily swapped and there are quite a few Neon forums where people with regular cars will swap their good non-SRT4 parts + cash for the SRT4 hood and trunk w/spoiler. There is nothing unique about those parts and they are easily dropped in. Doing that definitely cuts down on the "16 or never grew up" image.

Outside of that though, your requirements are tough to hit, especially with the AWD/FWD desire in something domestic, but is still fun to drive, but is also "classy".

Here would be a short list of alternatives off the top of my head:

Chevy Cobalt SS - Same thing as the Neon in concept, but they are more comfortable to drive and have a more balanced ride. It is also easy to get rid of the wing that makes them "boy racerish". You can get them in coupe or sedan as well and with either the super or turchocharged motor depending on year. I would take one of these hands down over a Neon SRT4.

Any of the Buick "Super" models from a few years ago - The Lucerne and LaCrosse both had "Super" variants that featured either a NorthStar 4.6L V8 or a 5.3L LS4 V8. The cars were well tuned in terms of ride/handling compromise and were excellent highway cruisers. They were the "sportiest" Buicks, but still retained the interior comfort. However, they are only offered as automatics.

Cadillac CTS - The recent Cadillac CTS both the sedan and coupe are offered in AWD. Combined with the 3.6L V6, they are also pretty sporty. Getting a non-sedan would probably mean spending to your limit. You can get them with a manual. Still though, I think this is probably the best domestic blend of interesting, sporty, AWD and classy.

Buick Regal GS - It starts in the mid-30's and is a little bit of a "bland sedan" that you wanted to avoid, but it is a very nice car, can be purchased with a manual and the turbo motor has nice performance. It is also a very "classy" ride and gets good highway MPG and isn't something you would be embarassed to put a client in.

My last "off the top of my head" would be a RWD car, that doesn't necessarily meet the total need, but hits every other button...the Pontiac G8 GT. You can only get the G8 GT in auto (need to step up to the rare GXP to get a manual), but you get a great V8 with a balanced chassis that is extremely comfortable and accomodating.

The only other ones I can think of would all be imports, in particular the Subaru Legacy GT, but you had said no imports.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
It shouldn't be hard to look through the offerings of the big 3 and see whether they have what you want or not.

I am guessing you want to stay away from trucks since you mentioned a couple, but thought they were too much vehicle.

What about a Taurus SHO with AWD, Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300 awd, or Cadillac CTS with AWD. All are good size, roomy, classy, good in all weather conditions, fun to drive and somewhat out of the ordinary (at least they are not too overly common).

If you add FWD (although I think an AWD might come out) the new Buick Regal GS's look intriguing to me too. (and I never thought I would ever say that about a Buick!).

Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
First two cars that came to mind were the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Both come in an AWD version and you can get a big engine. Seems to fit a few of your criteria.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Taurus SHO, Buick Regal, and the Buick LaCrosse come to mind. Perhaps a CTS, althouh I'm not sure if anything other than RWD is an option. The Regal is FWD, turbo, and comes with a 6-speed. Sounds like the perfect mix of fun and mature that you're looking for.

What about SUVs? Ford FLEX with EcoBoost is quite nice.

Mike

Old 01-30-2012, 02:25 PM

237 posts, read 499,467 times
I'll go off the wall and suggest a MINI Cooper S or JCW. It greatly exceeds all your criteria except the "Big 3" requirement. It's the most fun you can have on 4 wheels at anywhere near the price, it's quick, very unique, outhandles anything listed in this thread, gets great gas mileage, and has the highest resale value of the last decade.

You'll probably think it's too small, but I'm 6-1 and fit in my JCW with plenty of room to spare.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
The Neon SRT4 is fast but decidedly low brow. I would be embarrassed to own one. In the boy racer category it would be much classier to drive Mini Cooper S or Mazadaspeed 3, or even a BMW 135.

I agree with the SHO recommendation. If you're taking clients around, it is rude to make them squeeze into a car. The SHO is nicely equipped, has AWD, and is fast enough.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Thank you. Now I have someoting more to go on. My son will be happy that I cannto consider the Neon. He keeps finding neat cars that he wants and cannot afford, then someone else in the family "steals" his find.

I would love a G-8 GT, for a sedan that would top my list after only the pricy Cadillac CS Z or whatever the Corvette-like Cadillac sedan is called, but I expect that they are terrible in the snow. I cannot even drive the Camaro in the winter. One inch and I get stuck and slide all over the place. It is a giant sled. Last winter I was late a lot, sometimes I could not even get up a slippery hill (car woudl turn sideways or just start sliding backwards after gradually losing all forward momentum).

Obviously it is hard to impossible to meet all of these reqruirements, that is why i have been looking at different cars for ten years. (However the "big 3" and "gets good mileage" are new concerns). I was all set to buy a 2011 or 2012 Ram truck this December, but as I thought about it, seems really stupid for basically a commuting car. I suppose that once in a while there will be times that I wish I could stop on my way home and pick up somethig large, but not frequently enough to want to drive a B.A. truck every single day. I rarely drive clients, they seem to like to take their car, or I try to walk, but once in a while I have to drive them. If they are older, or fat, I do not even ask them to try to get into my car.

I also like the mini cooper a lot. British cars do not quite carry the stigma around here that Japanese or German cars do, but there are still some situations that it could be a problem. Plus it is too small I think. I have only driven the original mini. Maybe I will go drive one just for S & G.

My Dad has a Lucerne from maybe five years ago and it is good in the snow, but not much intersting otherwise, but his is a low performance version. It is a nice mid-luxury sedan that I think bests the Lexus. Still kind of a yawn, but I cannot have everything. I will look at the new versions.

I have a whole list to look at. I am probably going to resign myself to a sedan. I will try not to shudder every time i walk out to the driveway. It will be my first sedan ever. I guess i have to accept finally growing up.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I like the look of the Ford Fushion....not the new model but the ones I've seen around town. Don't know if they're FWD or RWD.

I drive a Chevy Cobalt Sport coupe (not an SS). I doubt a guy of your size would find them comfortable. I'm only 5'2" and I have to pump the seat up so I can see out the back window--minimizing blind spots. It goes okay in the snow but my Saturn coupe was much better.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you. Now I have someoting more to go on. My son will be happy that I cannto consider the Neon. He keeps finding neat cars that he wants and cannot afford, then someone else in the family "steals" his find.

I would love a G-8 GT, for a sedan that would top my list after only the pricy Cadillac CS Z or whatever the Corvette-like Cadillac sedan is called, but I expect that they are terrible in the snow. I cannot even drive the Camaro in the winter. One inch and I get stuck and slide all over the place. It is a giant sled. Last winter I was late a lot, sometimes I could not even get up a slippery hill (car woudl turn sideways or just start sliding backwards after gradually losing all forward momentum).

Obviously it is hard to impossible to meet all of these reqruirements, that is why i have been looking at different cars for ten years. (However the "big 3" and "gets good mileage" are new concerns). I was all set to buy a 2011 or 2012 Ram truck this December, but as I thought about it, seems really stupid for basically a commuting car. I suppose that once in a while there will be times that I wish I could stop on my way home and pick up somethig large, but not frequently enough to want to drive a B.A. truck every single day. I rarely drive clients, they seem to like to take their car, or I try to walk, but once in a while I have to drive them. If they are older, or fat, I do not even ask them to try to get into my car.

I also like the mini cooper a lot. British cars do not quite carry the stigma around here that Japanese or German cars do, but there are still some situations that it could be a problem. Plus it is too small I think. I have only driven the original mini. Maybe I will go drive one just for S & G.

My Dad has a Lucerne from maybe five years ago and it is good in the snow, but not much intersting otherwise, but his is a low performance version. It is a nice mid-luxury sedan that I think bests the Lexus. Still kind of a yawn, but I cannot have everything. I will look at the new versions.

I have a whole list to look at. I am probably going to resign myself to a sedan. I will try not to shudder every time i walk out to the driveway. It will be my first sedan ever. I guess i have to accept finally growing up.
I guess you think like I do. When I buy a vehicle, I want it to serve a certain purpose and be the best at what it is. My commuting vehicle is a 2010 F-150 Platinum Ed. and it does that job quite well. Gas mileage is about 15 mpg but I think there's a point where you just have to decide if giving up good gas mileage is worth having a vehicle you enjoy driving each day and to me, I answered yes.

There's something about having a truck, I'm not sure what it is. Most sedans are pretty boring (exclude the Caddy CTS-V) and really seem like a mediocre compromise compared to a truck. I'm a big fan of having a vehicle that sits up high especially driving in traffic, I like to see above everyone else versus sitting on the ground.

It doesn't sound like you're too enthused about buying a sedan and personally I'd say go with your heart and get a nice truck. I really like the new Laramie Edition Ram, very attractive although I'd def check out the 2012 F-150 Ecoboost with the Platinum, King Ranch, or Harley Davidson package. The Ecoboost does about 20 mpg which I think is pretty amazing considering the power it has. It'll almost definitely be my next truck.

I guess I'd go with what you really want versus what you'd consider practical. I don't find it difficult to park my F-150 in tight space with the backup camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive