Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times

Advertisements

As a former ASE certified tech I can honestly say there’s no money in working on cars anymore. There are a small percentage of techs that do very well, but there are a lot of techs that are just getting by.

The majority of people I worked with as tech in the late 90’s moved on to other career fields. Some moved on to heavy equipment and diesel, but the majority of my former co-workers packed it in.

This is one field that I tell people not even to bother with anymore considering the investment in tools and training. If you’re not burned out now in about five years you will be according to the BLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
Well... everybody has a right to an opinion, but I know a lot of techs here who have been wrenching it for well over 10 years each and most make 6 figure incomes. A lot depends on your ability and your location.

It does take a certain aptitude and attitude to be a tech these days.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 PM

A lot of people like to throw the six-figure bait for new techs to nibble on, but the BLS figures tell the true story.

Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics

I’ve saw a lot of people come and go in the field in my short time in it. The newbie’s always have visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads, until the reality of tools and flat rate catch up with them.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 PM

Slackers don't make it in any field. Lots of people expect loads of cash for little work these days... No new tech is going to jump in making big money. You have to pay your dues and get experienced. The guys I am talking about are serious about their career and work hard to get the job done.

There is real money to be made for the elite techs.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post

Please define "real" money. If by real money you mean like $31-$42K a year I might believe you, but you’re the same person who said CD's are going by way of the dodo bird this year. I certainly hope the OP did not pull loans to attend Lincoln Tech that’s just has bad as pulling loans for a African American studies degree. The shop I used to work at would round file any resume that had Wyotech, UTI or Lincoln Tech on it.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Well... everybody has a right to an opinion, but I know a lot of techs here who have been wrenching it for well over 10 years each and most make 6 figure incomes. A lot depends on your ability and your location.

It does take a certain aptitude and attitude to be a tech these days.

Which locations are the best locations today to make money? I was planning on leaving for washington d.c.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Slackers don't make it in any field. Lots of people expect loads of cash for little work these days... No new tech is going to jump in making big money. You have to pay your dues and get experienced. The guys I am talking about are serious about their career and work hard to get the job done.

Do you mean working for automakers like mercedes, bmw, and volkswagen in their elite divisions?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Do you mean working for automakers like mercedes, bmw, and volkswagen in their elite divisions?
No, I mean techs who become excellent at what they do, regardless of the make of vehicle they work on.

Pay no attention to Fargo guy. He's apparently bitter about the industry because he didn't get rich in a year.

Oh, and just for the record, CDs are going away and soon.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM

I spent over six years in the field, plus two as an apprentice, so nice assumption. I made OK money, but one has the odds stacked against them trying to push past the $50k mark. The BLS stats even confirm this.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:53 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I call on a lot of shops in a multi-state territory ...

the "average" tech can earn $40,000 or so per year in many shops.

the "expert" tech with excellent diagnostic skills, hand skills, and a good work ethic can earn into 6-figures ... if the shop he is working at reflects that set of skills and attitude from the management, service writing, and an available market perspective.

Every shop I know of that has techs earning in the high 5 figures is desperately seeking more expert techs.

Interesting to note that I'm encountering more shops where the owners aren't techs, but rather are service (and sales) oriented business folk who know that the key to their success is to hire expert techs and pay them well. Several shops I've called on in the last few months are 3-4 man operations, and the owner runs the front side of the house while the techs do the service work and clear close to 6-figure incomes.

As a newbie in the field, Veyron ... what you must do to excell in income is to acquire the skills that make you valuable to your prospective employers and then seek out the shops that have the clientele and repeat business that keeps them busy. It doesn't matter what brand you work on, there's money to be made in all the car lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive