Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:17 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times

Advertisements

Theres a screen, key pad, cardswipe and reciept return and 3 to 6 big ass gas selection buttons and there may or may not be a lever where there gun is hung out to activate/deactivate the procedure. Where do you fill up at with these space ship fuel pumps? Maybe you should trade in the Falcon for a diesel so that theres no complicated pump with too many selections, just a keypad for card users and a button that sez start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
BTW, why hasn't governor Christie changed that stupid law?
Because thousands of people in NJ have jobs pumping gas that other states leave to the drivers and for that privilege of pumping your own you get to pay a few pennies more.

NJ people don't want to pump their own gas.

Any other brilliant ideas?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:23 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Okay. Next question is what is the stupid law in NJ?
You can't legally pump your own gas; the station must be full service. This is also on the books in Oregon as well, but for some reason I only ever seem to see references to NJ regarding it.

I've gotten out and pumped my own gas before when the attendants are busy/slow and no one has ever said anything (I've heard that some stations have cards that the attendants have to swipe to activate the pumps, but I haven't seen one).

It is nice not having to get out of your car when its freezing out, though.

Edit: Also the fact that a lot of people are morons has a lot to do with it. I found this quote in an article from 2006 when getting rid of the full service requirement was floated:

Quote:
"Assemblyman Francis L. Bodine (R) said this is one reason he's opposed to the idea. Plus, "If I'm dressed up, I don’t want to get out and smell like a gas pump," said Bodine, who represents the Mount Laurel area near Philadelphia."
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you're incapable of pumping gas such that when you get back in the car, you don't smell like gasoline, then you generally shouldn't be allowed in public unsupervised in the first place.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
You can't legally pump your own gas; the station must be full service. This is also on the books in Oregon as well, but for some reason I only ever seem to see references to NJ regarding it.

I've gotten out and pumped my own gas before when the attendants are busy/slow and no one has ever said anything.

It is nice not having to get out of your car when its freezing out, though.

Edit: Also the fact that a lot of people are morons has a lot to do with it. I found this quote in an article from 2006 when getting rid of the full service requirement was floated:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you're incapable of pumping gas such that when you get back in the car, you don't smell like gasoline, then you generally shouldn't be allowed in public unsupervised in the first place.

Hmm. Thanks. I didn't know that.

As a young man I pumped gas while in high school (1960s) so I certainly have no problems with the new gasoline pumps unless of course the sun is shining directly on the LED readout or the printer is broken. However, when the new self-service stations started to come in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I sort of thought of it in the same way I as I did about the new small twin-screen movie theaters that were then replacing the huge velvet curtain-lined single-screen downtown theaters, i.e., it was a way for businesses to offer less service for more money and make consumers think it was to their benefit. I really haven't complained about self-service stations or smaller twin-screen theaters. However, I haven't been to a theater in about thirty five years either.

The worse thing about handling this new gasoline is that it stinks to high heaven which is a characteristic not found in the sweet-smelling gasolines of the 1960s. During my working life I have gone to a lot of meetings smelling of the new rotten gasolines. I'm sure I am not alone.

It's not likely I will ever again drive into New Jersey at my age but I supposed I may have gotten fined as I would have readily tried to fuel my own vehicle.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I guess we could employ thousands to wipe our a$$es for us too if we so wished. It's a lame law and when I lived in Portland it drove me up the wall. Usually by the time the attendants made it over to me I could have pumped it myself and moved on.

And I don't see the issue with self service pumps. What's to know? Put card in, pick grade, pump.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
BTW, why hasn't governor Christie changed that stupid law?
Most people like the law. It's convenient, saves time, and keeps more people employed. It would make no sense to change it.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I guess we could employ thousands to wipe our a$$es for us too if we so wished. It's a lame law and when I lived in Portland it drove me up the wall. Usually by the time the attendants made it over to me I could have pumped it myself and moved on.

And I don't see the issue with self service pumps. What's to know? Put card in, pick grade, pump.
If you were in NJ, you'd be in the minority. We don't pump our gas and many of us do employ people to wipe our a$$e$.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody else get exasperated trying to master a new gas pump?
No.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Well I'll be damned:
Gas pumps found to be germiest things we touch

Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody else get exasperated trying to master a new gas pump?

I just counted 24 stickers, warnings, buttons, gauges, dials, etc, on a self service pump, each one's gaudy attention grabbing characteristics inversely proportional to the utility of the feature in dispensing fuel. Twenty four, not counting the card slot and the receipt feed-out, which were unlabeled and relatively invisible. And I didn't count the advertising panel space reserved for the retailers marketing pitch.

Thanks to the miracle of intellectual property laws, there are no two gas pumps with the necessary buttons or indicators or switches in the same place, so it all has to be learned anew each time you pull up to a different station.
As long as you put out your cigarette and hang up your cellphone you're golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive