Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Accidents and violations are not usually caused by deficiencies in basic driving skills or understanding the rules of the road, which are things that license examiners test for. They are caused by emotional and psychological factors, which license tests do not and cannot test for.

Most people who have frequent accidents or violations are perfectly capable of driving safely and in control of a vehicle --- but for psychological reasons, they don't. They push their limits, they allow themelves to be distracted, they use substances, they show off, they are scofflaws, they have anger or ego issues, they ignore warnings, they fail to drive defensively. These are the causes of accidents, and mechanical driving skill (which anyone can acquire) cannot overcome them.

Think about it. Do you think you have 30-year violation-free driving record because or your amazing and impeccable driving skill, or because of your emotional stability and personal responsibility? How did the examiner know you had the latter?
Oh, it's definately my skills...I'm totally emotionally unstable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
oh i can say my 30+ years without an incident/ticket is because i have mad skills; and in many instances that can be the case. But i've also had plenty of times (re: crazy youth with too much power and the wrong beverages...) that someone above must have watched over me cuz no way with the things i did should i have had zero tix let alone anything else not occur.

I am amazed though at the different requirements and laws across the US that pertain to teens. Our daughter learned in WI, and when we mentioned to a neighbor down here some of the restrictions WI had they could not believe it. Which means they are much looser here.

But i'll agree, passing a test does not make a better driver. Time, experience, and common sense/courtesy does.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
At age 16 i failed my driving test in penna the first time cause i didnt come to a complete stop. I did pass the following week. When i moved to ca 1 1/2 yrs later i had to do it all over again & also take drivers ed. It was a breeze.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
So you're saying since you have not met anyone that failed, then 100% of everyone that takes the driving test IN AMERICA passes? confused.
The statement was it was "common" to fail the test and I still question it.
That does NOT mean people know how to drive in a safe manner.

Here on C-D we have posters that will go around someone to make a right on red and others that will go whatever speed they think is proper for that road.

I have known people personally that were a danger on the roads for one reason or another.

Maybe is should be a requirement to take driver's education to get a license, regardless of age.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Sometimes when im driving the speed limit in the city a teenage driver will be almost bumper to bumper with my car. I sometimes just pull over & let them pass. So far a few teens have been nailed for speeding past me. The police just happen to be in the right place at the right time (i also know where they sit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive