Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the brand of spark plugs matter?
Yes, the brand matters when it comes to performance (better MPG, etc). 14 29.17%
Yes, the brand matters on how long they last. 4 8.33%
Yes, the brand matters when it comes to performance and how long they last. 25 52.08%
No. All spark plugs are made same, whether they're cheapest or the most expensive ones. 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
From my experience NGK's seem to be the most universal spark plug out there since I've never had problems with them in all the cars I've installed them in, Domestic and Asian (Honda's). You can search numerous forums regarding NGK's, everybody from Ford 150 enthusiast to the Honda and BMW crowd, they just work well in a lot of engines and people are satisfied with the V and G power plugs..

But, not every engine is the same. Some are really finicky and bitchy about what you put in, others will take anything as long as it's gapped properly. So it's a trial and error approach.

I usually stick stay with NGK's, and Denso's for their reliability, performance and being high quality plugs for a affordable price. It seems like many people that use Bosch plugs have the most issues of misfires and fouled plugs. I don't understand it, not sure if it's the standard single tip plugs or the multi tip ones that are problematic and if this has to do with the overall design of the plugs, or low quality insulator material causing voltage leaks?
I put Bosch plugs in my 92 Accord, within 4 months major misfire in one cylinder. So I put in cheap NGKs and car has worked great since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I put Bosch plugs in my 92 Accord, within 4 months major misfire in one cylinder. So I put in cheap NGKs and car has worked great since.
Funny thing is that NGK here are more expensive than Bosche!

Supply & demand I guess..

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Brand absolutely DOES matter, as not all companies have the same quality control levels. Beru spark plugs are known for failing in turbocharged Porsches more often than any other brand. NGK Iridiums used to have a problem with the tips breaking off.

I'm sure there's plenty of other examples, but those are two right off the top of my head.
Perhaps I was not clear? There are only a few spark plug makers, and these produce spark plugs for numerous companies following the specifications asked for by these companies. For example, it's very possible that AC Delco plugs are made by NGK to AC Delco specifications. NGK is the largest EOM spark plug maker in the world.

That said, any spark plug manufacturer could produce defective spark plugs every now and then, including the two mentioned above.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
The older Ford 5.0L engines run best with the original-spec copper plugs.

Toss some platniums in there and they tend to run a little worse.

Typically, i say stay with with the Manufacturer used and recommends. A lot of plugs are gimmick plugs.

I'd say run Silver plugs if you can afford swapping them out VERY frequently.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:41 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
I've only ever used NGKs, Motorcraft/Autolite, or Champion, and never had any issues with my cars. With my snow blower, I put in a First Fire spark plug, and had all kinds of issues, I switched over to a generic Champion plug and it cleared all the issues.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM

66 posts, read 84,126 times
I think so! To add, my friend's 1979 Chrysler 300 with the 360 engine, would only accept (no joke) Bosch Platinums. Many moons ago, my dad took his 1983 Econoline with the 300 straight six for a plug change, and the now defunct-Precision Tune in Cincinnati put in Bosch Platinums...that poor van did the hippy-hippy-shakes all over the place, stalled...the dealer put in Motorcrafts and all was well.

My GMs always had Delco....my Toyota Tercel had Champions and ran great....

I remember my friend Kevin pulling the old plugs out of his 1985 Nissan pickup and seeing the word Nippondenso stamped on lol.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:30 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Back when I used to work in auto parts, unless the manager was pushing us hard to push a certain brand, I would always recommend folks put in the OE brand for best results. ND/NGK for Asian vehicles, Autolite for Fords, ACDelcos for GMs, Champion for Dodges, Bosch for german, etc. It seemed to get the best results.

With the fancier plugs (Splitfire, Bosch +2s, +4s), I would occasionally get someone bringing them back saying they either made no real difference or in some cases made the car run slightly worse. Again, this is the customer's perspective, not mine. Of course, spark plugs aren't exactly a returnable item once used, so it would always turn into a big 'let me go get the manager' thing. For this reason alone I would stick to recommending to the customer to stay with the OE brand as much as possible.

Mike
long ago quote but a good answer .. i would only add that champion spark plugs are good for lawn mowers as well ...

Old 12-19-2014, 06:46 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I put a set of Bosch platinum plugs in my 1992 Caravan when I first got it and they did great for the 14 years I had it.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Any good spark plug will light the mixture 100% of the time in a sound engine. That is, there will be no misfire assuming everything is else is in good shape. Assuming no misfire, there can be no performance difference between spark plugs unless the spark plug is of such grossly incorrect heat range that it lights the fuel before spark is delivered. Does your stove top burner work differently if you light the flame with a wooden match, a paper match or a spark? The differences will be reliability and longevity. There have been cases where Bosch spark plugs did not fire reliably on Japanese engines.

Don in Austin

Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Bosch is Ford of automotive electronics. Take is as you wish.
Yes, spark plugs do differ in performance, longevity, quality.
Worst I know is Autolite.
Best I know is LG Brisk, which most of you likely never heard of. Official Lambo plugs. The very very best ones are banned from manufacturing, as guy who designed them will not sell patent for cheap.
In-between, there is all and any you can possibly imagine.
Cars ECUs are normally tuned to a particular type of plugs, with that particular resistance and spark production. That's why when you experiment with plugs, as in using non-OEM ones, ECU may not like it.
But easy trick is to re-set ECU by pulling its fuse out, better overnight, so that it "learns" new plugs. MOF, this should be done after any electronic part was replaced, as new ones will function differently. Same goes for air filters or change in routine gas brand.
Indeed! And what parameters, pray tell, are relearned when spark plugs are replaced? What is relearned when an air filter is replaced unless the replacement is grossly overdue and the air filter was restricted? % of ethanol in fuel could effect fuel trim adjustment, but that is constantly being updated on the fly anyway. And what would be the difference between pulling the ECU fuse for 5 minutes versus overnight?

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive