Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,653 times

Advertisements

After a lifetime of making some of the worst cars on the market that only appealed to people who never heard the phrase, you get what you pay for, they come out with some cars which provide an admittedly nice first impression.

But how does that relate to Hyundai's biggest problem? Reliability? You can put as many bells and whistles into a car as you want, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with reliability, and with their track record, I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing bits and pieces of these things falling off after about 50k miles.

Of course, maybe they won't, but all this, they are as good as the leaders in dependability talk, where is that coming from? Based on what? Wanting to justify your gamble that Hyundai has gotten its **** together does not mean the cars have any data to back up your claims.

And again, this is from a company that pretty much has never made a good car. The best thing they've ever made was the previous generation Sonata, which was the most bland, generic, average car ever. Average to mediocre is what Hyundai has always done, and their is no evidence that these new cars will be anything else.

But if you want to be an early adopter of the New Hyundai, by all means, but until the new Hyundai get's a few notches under it's belt, I don't understand all these as good as Honda and Toyota claims.

Oh, and since when were Honda or Toyota ever known for their innovative styling? That's not what appeals in a commuter car. Doesn't matter how good your car looks if it's always in the shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,420,037 times
Toyota is boring and overpriced, and Honda is living off its past reputation, trying to pass off cars that are behind in technology yet cost more as great because they have the Honda badge on them.

I question Hyundai's long-term quality as well, but at least the Genesis is damn fun to drive and a great value. Speaking of that, Hyundai is more than just the Sonata. But I can't think of many other cars that hit all the right points like Genesis Coupe does. Fun to drive, more than decent power, lots of options, and available at a reasonable price.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
My 2000 Hyundai Accent has 132,986 miles on it to date. I need to replace the catalytic converter and will be doing that next week. The 2000 year cars were the first offered with the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. Accept for the cat I have had no other problems with the car other than normal maintenance work. As far as problems to date, the fuse compartment cover located near the brake pedel at the floor had a latch that broke off a few years ago. The lid finally came off a couple months ago. Another cover plate that is in the center between the two front seats keeps coming off and I finally noticed that the opening has a small crack in it. It is all cover material and doesn't affect the car in any way. The biggest issue, other than the cat, is the passenger side hinge on the hood is broken and needs to be replaced. You can still close the hood so I haven't replaced it yet.

That is just one example of the brand though. Still in my area I see plenty of these cars still on the road.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,653 times
Whether you think Toyota is boring (it is) or Honda is living off its past (subjective), isn't relevant to my issues with reliability. You want to applaud Hyundai for its features, for it's interior, for it's styling, all true, the Veloster is very nice looking, but that doesn't apply to what I'm talking about as far as Reliability goes, which, IMO, is the most important thing.

It'd be one thing is we were talking about a car company that was trying to make a comeback, but Hyundai can't make a comeback because it has never been good to start with. Never. And yes, their are other cars. Like I said, the Veloster looks nice, the Genesis, I'm not really talking about the genesis, I'm talking more about the high volume sellers, the commuter cars, the cars that you don't drive hard and so they shouldn't be falling apart the way a Hyundai will.

The Sonata, the Elantra are the main ones, comparing them to the Accord, Civic, Camry, and Corolla. Toyota and Civic being two companies that again, aren't particularly known for their style and flash. Never. They've always have pretty conservative styling, but they don't sell the most because of how they look but because of how well they run, and in that regard, Hyundai has always disapointted. Sure you'll have some stories of how someone has had a Hyundai for years and never a problem, but that's the exception and not the rule in the case of Hyundai, and studies into Hyundai's as a whole have shown that they have major issues, and I seriously doubt that they've gone from practically the very bottom, to the top in essentially a year.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,174,541 times
Have you ever owned a Hyundai yourself?

I bought a 08 Sonata, new off the lot, put 80K miles on it, and felt confident enough in it to sell it to my daughter. Gas, oil, tires and go. Nothing fell off, not even any interior bits. It didn't rattle, even on a trip down the Denali highway. Comfortable, economical, and kind of bland....just like a Honda or a Toyota.

Don't confuse the old Hyundais with the newer ones, especially the ones built in Alabama. That factory has been called by some sources the best automotive manufacturing facility on the planet. As for value, the NADA value of that Sonata actually went up from when I first offered it to when I sold it. Not too many Toyotas or Hondas do that.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
How can anyone say Hyundai is as good as Honda or Toyota?
The only people who say that are people who just bought one or trying to sell one. You can chrome plate a turd but you still have a turd.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
dont forget that toyota, honda, and nissan all started out building cars of less than stellar quality as well. hyundai has improved their quality control substantially, and will continue to do so.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The only people who say that are people who just bought one or trying to sell one. You can chrome plate a turd but you still have a turd.
I know some people that traded some in, not sure you can classify that as selling as they basically had to pay to have the car taken away it lost so much value.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:18 AM

170 posts, read 634,812 times
Hyundai seems to be the media darling these. Whether there reliability pans out in the long run remains to be seen. Honda and Toyota are living off there past reputation. But lately they have had ALOT of recalls but people seem to overlook that and still think they are super reliable. Now you are buying a 2011/2012 Toyo/honda thinking you are getting the same reliability as they were back in the day...not the case anymore.

Back in the day day you basically had to "justify" your reasoning for buying anything not Honda or Toyota. Today that is not the case. They have forced everyone else to catch up to them. The problem is that they just stood still.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dont forget that toyota, honda, and nissan all started out building cars of less than stellar quality as well. hyundai has improved their quality control substantially, and will continue to do so.

because they have a long way to go to achieve what the Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans have been doing for years, that's why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive