Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
Depends on The car make. If you're talking a 2000 something Chevy, ford or dodge then yes. 100k is about the time major repairs start popping up. If you're talking Honda, toyota some other quality brand then you're generally safe well over 200k if you do the regular maintenance.

I would say you are probably in good shape with the Hyundai. Just be sure to do the timing belt.
I ended up not needing a timing belt,I have chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 PM

36 posts, read 67,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I just always hear about 100,000 miles being thrown around as the breaking point for many things.
Why not 200,000K?

Also,because I'm hitting 100,000 soon on my 2007 kia,and I'm wondering if that is the breaking point, should I brace myself for major repairs like transmisson,engine repairs?

Sorry,one last thing. Can someone tell me what's the difference between "highway miles" and local driving miles through the streets?
I think more than anything at that point and time the car is going to be basically worth little if anything on the used market. Even "high end" cars will have a tough time bringing in decent coin when they are sitting at 100k miles. There are exceptions to the rule, but most of the time you can make more coin parting out the car then selling it outright. This is especially true for cars/trucks that have a ton of interchangeable parts across brands.

Even if the car is well taken care of with all of the maintained work documented, or even a new engine/tranny having been installed by a reputable shop or dealer, every buyer of high mileage cars should always remember this…That 100k miles of wear and tear is on EVERY piece of that vehicle. From the littlest part to the most complicated part on that car, not just the most expensive areas (engine/tranny etc.) of the car.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Guy View Post
I think more than anything at that point and time the car is going to be basically worth little if anything on the used market. Even "high end" cars will have a tough time bringing in decent coin when they are sitting at 100k miles.
You obviously haven't priced cars in the 100K mileage range recently.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I can't believe people keep their cars that long. I get bored after a couple years and need to change it up. I commute to work 35 minute each way, 70 minutes a day. 5 days a week, so 350 minutes a week. For lets say 47 weeks out of the year. That's 16,450 minutes, 274 hours or 11 days out of the year just driving to and from work. Hell if I'm going to be in a 7+ year old car with over 100k miles that doesn't have the latest safety and technology.
You commute is almost exactly the same as mine. I do it in a 1996 Caravan that's pushing 170K. It doesn't bother me in the least. Neither did the fact that I paid $275 for it.

I also get bored with my cars after awhile. But since I pay generally so little I can write them off after about six months and get something different.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You obviously haven't priced cars in the 100K mileage range recently.
There are suckers born everyday my friend. Anyone who pays a lot for a car with 100k miles is insane. Like I said before, there are a lot of items on a car that are ready to go by 100k miles.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You commute is almost exactly the same as mine. I do it in a 1996 Caravan that's pushing 170K. It doesn't bother me in the least. Neither did the fact that I paid $275 for it.

I also get bored with my cars after awhile. But since I pay generally so little I can write them off after about six months and get something different.
I guess you proved me wrong by dropping a whopping 275 bucks on a van with 170k on the clock.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
My Civic only recently had its brake pads replaced at 160,000.. the previous replacement was at only 120,000 miles because it was driven on the highway maybe 75% of the time. Even back at 150,000 miles, the mechanic did not recommend replacing the brake pads yet..

Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,501 times
It all depends on whether they're highway miles or city miles. I know ppl who commute nearly 2 1/2 hours roundtrip every day and yet only put on 15k~17k miles annually, just because LA is stop-and-go hell for miles on end. In this kind of slow grind, the first major thing to die is the transmission. I personally don't know many Camry's or Accord's who've gone past 200k out here without having transmission probs. As an aside, our gardener has a side business where he buys older Camry's with dead & dying transmissions on the cheap, throws in a rebuilt unit, and sells it to Hispanic maids. According to him, Camry's have a cult-like reputation in his community & command top dollar.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
It's pretty straightforward, really. In the old days odometers were mechanical and the miles were registered on a series of numbered wheels. It was almost universal that they would have sis wheels, so that the highest mileage total that could be registered was 99,999.9. If you made it past that the odometer would "turn over" and register 00,000.0. It was a big deal to see it, especially since it was unusual for a car to last that long.

Now with digital odometers 100k is nothing special, it just keeps going.

In addition, this is an illustration of the old saying that they don't build them like they used to. In fact, they build them way better than they ever used to, so cars last a lot longer, and for most cars it's not much of a challenge to go well past 100,000 miles.

By the way, one other thing implied in your original question is whether you get to a point where you should get rid of a car before things start going wrong and you have to make expensive repairs. The answer is generally no. It's unusual that the repairs to an older car will cost more than the price of a new car.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I just always hear about 100,000 miles being thrown around as the breaking point for many things.
Why not 200,000K?

Also,because I'm hitting 100,000 soon on my 2007 kia,and I'm wondering if that is the breaking point, should I brace myself for major repairs like transmisson,engine repairs?

Sorry,one last thing. Can someone tell me what's the difference between "highway miles" and local driving miles through the streets?

The "100,000" benchmark is just milestone. It has absolutely nothing to do with actual wear and tear on a vehicle.

I think car engines should have an HOUR METER like that on an airplane engine. I live in Northern Virginia and deal with a lot of bumper-to-bumper traffic. I many not be moving forward, but the engine is still working and thus wearing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive