Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

I would get an older diesel Landcruiser / or Landrover (not many in USA, but abundant in most of the rest of the world). Economical, ez to fix, light to ship (a Hummer is not gonna be ez to ship or keep full of fuel, + you will be a readily identifiable outcast (and theft / robbery / kidnap target).

A VW diesel Country (Golf AWD) is another economy vehicle with pretty good availability.

I definitely would not get something NICE, or Expensive (these have a habit of getting 'car-jacked' or stolen from parking lot). Get a utilitarian and dependable rig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Cars and trucks can get expensive why not make the adventure a little more hard core.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Toyotas and Nissans are found in every country and are very popluar in 3rd world countires for a very good reason.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I am embarking on an "international man of mystery" type career that could take me just about anywhere in the world. From the streets of Paris to the snows of Kilamanjaro so to speak.

But until then, I'll be in the states for a couple years. I'm hoping to be in the market soon for a gently used vehicle and I'm wondering what I should buy. ...
Why not drive what you have for now for those couple years, and check out what you might need for around the world adventures, when that comes up on your schedule?

Not sure I would want/need a TLC for driving around the 'burbs/highways of the US...
GL, mD

Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Cars and trucks can get expensive why not make the adventure a little more hard core.
Heh, that reminds me of that "Long Way Round" thing Ewan McGregor and his friend did a while back. I may pick up one of those on the side. I have my old street bike for the meantime though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Toyotas and Nissans are found in every country and are very popluar in 3rd world countires for a very good reason.
I've thought about that. I think the standard vehicle for the Libyan revolution was a Toyota truck with an anti-aircraft gun mounted on the bed. Hopefully things won't get that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Why not drive what you have for now for those couple years, and check out what you might need for around the world adventures, when that comes up on your schedule?

Not sure I would want/need a TLC for driving around the 'burbs/highways of the US...
GL, mD
Good point. I have considered that. However, I have a 13 y/o Hyundai and though she's served me admirably well, I think it's time for something else. It'll be awhile before I settle in and scrape up the cash but I'm just kicking around some ideas about my next ride and I want to get something that will hold up wherever I go.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I am embarking on an "international man of mystery" type career that could take me just about anywhere in the world. From the streets of Paris to the snows of Kilamanjaro so to speak.

But until then, I'll be in the states for a couple years. I'm hoping to be in the market soon for a gently used vehicle and I'm wondering what I should buy. Honestly I'm not going to be doing a lot of hardcore off-roading but I want something that is tough enough to handle some third world streets(I honestly have no idea what the streets are like in the third world other than what I see on the news). I also want something that I won't have to ship back to the US to change the thermostat or something like that. In other words, a reasonable support network of parts suppliers and knowledgeable mechanics would come in handy.

Now, I'm currently single but that may change before I make it overseas. I don't see any kids before then though.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards a Jeep Wrangler or a truck(Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma are contenders). I'm open to other suggestions though. I've also been considering a Prius but if skeptical about how they'd hold up in a harsher environment.

Anybody familiar with this sort of thing?

What manufacturers have good worldwide reach?
The Toyota Tacoma/Hilux has got to be the most ubiquitous vehicle on the planet, probably followed by the Toyota Corolla.

Jeep Wranglers are actually somewhat rare outside of North America; you'll see more LR Defenders, Toyota Landcruisers, Nissan Patrols and other Jeep-like vehicles overseas than actual Jeeps. For decades, Jeep brand owners have focused on the US market and peddled jeeps as weekend toys, not serious work/overlander/exploration vehicles (even though they could do the job). I remember when I lived in Bolivia, Land Rovers were everywhere and a dime a dozen, while Wranglers (TJs were brand new at that time) were few and far between and never seemed to leave the big city.

Last edited by Chango; 02-09-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I was going to suggest what Chango did, the Tacoma/Hilux is the most available vehicle globally and parts/service can generally be found in any 3rd world hell hole one might find themselves in. All those Libyan trucks with AA guns...Toyota Hilux's.

The next runners-up would be the Toyota Land Cruiser or a Land Rover.

See, you just need what these guys have...

Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
A 1st or 2nd Generation British built Ford Cortina!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would look at a Toyota Land Cruiser, as they are more reliable than the Land Rovers, and Toyota has worldwide reach. A Hummer can be a little more of a challenge to have repaired when you are in some areas that do not have readily available parts. The downside is that you cannot get a diesel in the US, so you would be limited to the V8 models which are not terribly fuel efficient.
the toyota land cruiser is also a good choice.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Hummer H1 is a great vehicle if you run over a land mine. Getting around in rough terrain . . . not so much. One would also need a motor pool and a parts depot to get one around the world.

It would be fifth among the rigs I currently own, much less the dream machines I might think of. All four of these vehicles are more durable and would run circles around an H1.

1.Toyota 4x4 PU 22RE (first because it is ubiquitous)
2.Jeep XJ (as equipped by me - it has every off road and recovery mod imaginable)
3.Unimog 406.
4.Jeep Rubicon (stock)
5. distant . . . . H1

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-09-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive